VIA Shows Off $79 Rock and $99 Paper ARM PCs

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you think the rise of ARM-based mini-computing sounds like a fun project to take on, but just don’t feel like the Raspberry Pi suits your needs, VIA might have the solution for you with its updated version of its ARM-based mini-computer. VIA has upgraded the specs from its original entry into the market last spring. Rock and Paper, as the two systems are called, will be available in March.

The Rock and Paper offer a nice spec bump over the original APC, which shipped with Android 2.3, an ARM 11 processor, only 2GB RAM, and was only 720p capable in the graphics department.

These are a lot more reasonable as a mini desktop PC. The first APC was priced properly, but was kinda a turn off (for me) because it needed some sort of case and didn't have access to Google Play so apps were all "scrounge n' load" scenarios. The case problem is obviously fixed with Paper in a pretty cute way, but does anyone know if it can get to Google Play? Even APC's site didn't seem to make that apparent.

Also, the quoted article isn't correct. The original didn't have 2 GB of RAM. That was the NAND flash storage. The RAM is the same 512 MB from the previous version.

Also, the quoted article isn't correct. The original didn't have 2 GB of RAM. That was the NAND flash storage. The RAM is the same 512 MB from the previous version.

I spent like 5 minutes wondering about this.

Either way, it's a neat little toy.

Raspberry Pi is already starting to show it's age. For anyone interested in getting one, here's a few things to know.

#1 The ARM cpu on it is not supported by newer linux distros. Which means distros like Ubuntu won't work, and Canonical has no interest in porting it.

#2 The ram on the Pi is extremely limiting, and you won't be running full fledged interfaces. Pretty much LXDE is the best desktop you can get. If you're getting one then get the 512 MB.

#3 While it can hardware decode h.264, it doesn't do MPEG2 or VC-1. The hardware can do it, but to keep the cost of the Pi down they didn't include the license's. Those can be bough for an additional few dollars each, which just increases the cost of the Pi even further.

Also consider there are much better alternatives to the Pi. For example the Mini MK802.

#1 It's also $35 and not a penny more. No need to get cables or even an HDMI cable. Doesn't need a casing so you don't accidentally short circuit the thing on your table by accident.

#2 Has built int 4GB or nand flash, so really a SD card is optional.

#3 Has 1GB of ram, twice as much as the Pi.

#4 It has a Cortex A8 which is capable of running distros like Ubuntu. It's also much faster then the Pi.

#5 Has built in Wifi which will make the wiring less cluttering.

#6 Has licenses for MPEG2 and VC-1 as well as h.264. So really no additional cost is needed for this.

#7 The only downside is that it has no analog output, which can be the deal breaker for some.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd like to see these with dual ethernet ports. Would make a great customized router or radius server.

Definitely good to see more low power integrated pcs coming out, but I stywont get this to replace my mk802.
Nevertheless I am still curious to see which Linux distros this gets.
One integrated pc I still really want to get is the gecko surfboard. It even runs x86 hardware and can run full windows or Ubuntu.

VIA though. I can't stand that company. VIA chipsets (if they still make them) were the worst I've ever used.

Raspberry Pi is already starting to show it's age. For anyone interested in getting one, here's a few things to know.

#1 The ARM cpu on it is not supported by newer linux distros. Which means distros like Ubuntu won't work, and Canonical has no interest in porting it.

#2 The ram on the Pi is extremely limiting, and you won't be running full fledged interfaces. Pretty much LXDE is the best desktop you can get. If you're getting one then get the 512 MB.

#3 While it can hardware decode h.264, it doesn't do MPEG2 or VC-1. The hardware can do it, but to keep the cost of the Pi down they didn't include the license's. Those can be bough for an additional few dollars each, which just increases the cost of the Pi even further.

Also consider there are much better alternatives to the Pi. For example the Mini MK802.

#1 It's also $35 and not a penny more. No need to get cables or even an HDMI cable. Doesn't need a casing so you don't accidentally short circuit the thing on your table by accident.

#2 Has built int 4GB or nand flash, so really a SD card is optional.

#3 Has 1GB of ram, twice as much as the Pi.

#4 It has a Cortex A8 which is capable of running distros like Ubuntu. It's also much faster then the Pi.

#5 Has built in Wifi which will make the wiring less cluttering.

#6 Has licenses for MPEG2 and VC-1 as well as h.264. So really no additional cost is needed for this.

#7 The only downside is that it has no analog output, which can be the deal breaker for some.

Thanks for the heads up. Wonder if it can do XBMC?

VIA though. I can't stand that company. VIA chipsets (if they still make them) were the worst I've ever used.

This..screw VIA and all the damn drivers that never worked.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back