NYPD Releases Crime Reporting App for Citizens

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Got crime? There’s an App for that. The New York City police have released an App to provide an easy way for citizens to report crimes or send in a tip anonymously. Detective Elliot Stabler would be proud. :D

That app seems to fulfill that goal by leaps and bounds. Not only does it allow citizens to easily access crime statistics, see Most Wanted lists, get precinct information and view rewards for information about past crimes, it also lets users submit anonymous tips about crimes they have witnessed.

From what I've been hearing....Chicago could probably use something like this. But, just how "anonymous" is this going to be? Really?

Sounds like an app for little old ladies to report minorities in their neighborhood

Only problem is that one of the major crimes is the theft of Iphones & Ipads. Makes it pretty hard to report that your Ipad has been stolen after it's gone :p

Don't like your neighbor? Want to harass a business? Send a false report. Anonymously. "There's an app for that."

/just ripe for abuse.

Sounds like an app for little old ladies to report minorities in their neighborhood

True except for my grandma can't even program her VCR (yes her VCR) and is still using a 27" square 4:3 tube TV.

However though -- when Tyrone is wandering around rich white people neighborhood - odds are he's not there to wash your car or mow the lawn, odds are he's up to no good.

It'll be shut down after its overloaded from too much crime.

Don't like your neighbor? Want to harass a business? Send a false report. Anonymously. "There's an app for that."

/just ripe for abuse.

Bingo. If anyone would be proud, it'd be Stalin.

And actually, Stabler would be proud. Seems like every time he gets pissed off in the show, he just wishes the police had more power over people's lives. NBC's star stormtrooper.

I have a hard time believing any app is anonymous. Everything you send on the web is tagged with some sort of identifier, it's just a matter of whether or not someone is tracking it. I'm certain we will discover just how "anonymous" it is when someone tries to misuse or abuse the app somehow.

Inklings of Orwells 1984, where people spy on each other all the time. REPORT YOUR NEIGHBOR CITIZEN FOR EXTRA CHOCOLATE RATIONS

Portland (Oregon, the good one,) has a "city services app" where you can report certain simple crimes (abandoned auto, graffiti, illegal parking,) plus general maintenance items (plugged storm drain, potholes, street lights out.) It even lets you follow up later.

Back