Opera’s New “Ice” Mobile Browser Launching In February

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Opera is reinventing its mobile browser in order to keep up with the ever changing mobile market. The new Opera Ice will be utilizing the same WebKit rendering engine as Google Chrome and Apple Safari.

I main Opera on desktop, loved Opera Mini on those old "feature" phones, but Opera on Android is just not very good. Chrome mobile is great, and if they use that engine, hopefully it will be excellent. Still, Dolphin Browser is my main on the Galaxy S2.

Great! Now that Opera is switching to webkit I can take it off the list of browsers I have to test my web apps against. With it's tiny market share it was barely worth it, but now I can just test in Chrome.

Thanks Opera!

IME Dolphin and other mobile browsers are POS compared to Opera, so I hope it's only the core engine that's changing.

I dont know why I dont feel impressed or feel that this is any better than Dolphin or Chrome for mobile. Perhaps because he's not wearing a black turtleneck and jeans up on a big empty stage and not vomiting words like "magical", "inspiring" or "amazing".

Great! Now that Opera is switching to webkit I can take it off the list of browsers I have to test my web apps against. With it's tiny market share it was barely worth it, but now I can just test in Chrome.

Thanks Opera!

No, not really. The title is misleading as hell. What's actually happening is Opera's "Ice" browser will use Safari/WebKit *on iOS* - just like every browser on iOS does because those are Apple's rules.

Opera said nothing about adopting WebKit themselves as far as I can tell, so the Android version will probably be Presto.

Back