[Build Log] Case Labs ST10 Project "HardLine"

hammerforged

[H]ard|Gawd
Welcome Everyone!

After much tinkering and playing around with my TJ07 learning the tricks of the trade I've decided to start a new build! :D Hopefully you will subscribe and follow along!

The main goal of this build is to move from my cramped TJ07 to the larger Case Labs ST10 and refine my modding skills along the way. I currently plan for the build to have a black, red, and polished nickel theme.

Sponsors:

Components:
  • Case Labs ST10 LINK
  • Intel i7-3770K
  • Asus Maximus V Formula
  • EVGA GTX 680 4GB
  • 16GB Corsiar Dominator Platnium 1866mhz
  • Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Raid 0
  • WD Black 1TB
  • Seasonic 1K Platinum
  • Asus VG278HE

Water Cooling:
  • Black Ice® GTX Gen Two Xtreme 480 (x2)
  • Koolance CPU-370
  • Aquacomputer AquagraFX GTX 680 - Nickel Plated
  • Laing D5 Pumps (x2)
  • Koolance PMP-450/S Rev.2.0 (x2)
  • Corsair SP120's (lots)
  • Corsair AF120's (x5)
  • Lamptron FC8
  • Koolance NZL-CU10 (just google it :D)

Update Log:

Most Recent Photo:

x7hAE9d.jpg

Last edited:
So heres the start of the mod:

With the ST10 it allows for multiple 480mm radiator placements. Either one up top, front, or the bottom. For the setup I'm going for there will be a 480mm on the top and bottom which will require the PSU to be relocated. Here is how that will happen:

PSU Mounting Bracket

RPUmK.jpg

1Sq5z.jpg

zWq5T.jpg

PSU Blanking Plate for the stock location.

n0O5A.jpg

Finished setup of how the PSU will be installed

G6p9q.jpg

More updates today!

Started off by installing the PSU blanking plate. I plan on buying a larger PSU cord and running it from the front mounted PSU behind the back panel and out this hole.

pBkrIuF.jpg

cI664se.jpg

And then there are the Corsair AF120 fans. Talk about blowing some money :LOL:

ta7vGPv.jpg

These mount in the Flex Bay 120mm fan mounts. These flex bays really make it easy to change components in and out. There is any number of combinations that could be used here. The flex bays can be loaded up with hard drives or another 480mm radiator. The options that they offer are definitely impressive.

Flex Bays Removed:

LKibvML.jpg

Fan mounting in the Flex Bays:

U5AT0x7.jpg

Flex Bays installed:

oTlBalx.jpg

nLfcDrz.jpg

Not sure if anyone can help me out here but do you all have any suggestions for wiring up all the fans to one FC8? A bunch of Y's?

The 2 Black Ice 480 rads are on there way and I am going to mount those up with the Corsair SP120's.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions please feel free to let me know!

Those CaseLabs cases are so damn sexy! If I ever have the money one of those will be mine. :) But not too long ago I modded my existing case for my WCing and I don't want to get rid of it just yet.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Those CaseLabs cases are so damn sexy! If I ever have the money one of those will be mine. :) But not too long ago I modded my existing case for my WCing and I don't want to get rid of it just yet.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Thank ya! Hopefully I can make it a good one.

Those cases look amazing, I just can't imagine where to put one, too big IMO.

Yeah they are pretty large but it makes building in them so much easier. You should check out the SM8 it is very reasonable size wise. There is the the SM5 which is for M-ATX.

They also have plans for a M-ITX case as well. Should be pretty awesome!

are you going push pull on those GTX480s? and are they the Per. or Quiet SP120s? let me know how they work out for you, I plan on the same Rad/Fan combo, I want to pickup another GTX480 and either this case or the 900D from corsair

are you going push pull on those GTX480s? and are they the Per. or Quiet SP120s? let me know how they work out for you, I plan on the same Rad/Fan combo, I want to pickup another GTX480 and either this case or the 900D from corsair

Yeah I'm going to push pull them with the 480. I was original going to just pick of the RX480 but with its low fin per inch count it cant really take advantage of push pull. I got the SP120 performance ed. You really cant go wrong with those if you are going to hook them up to a fan controller. When I bought them they were even cheaper than the quiet edition so it was kind of a no brain'er ha.

yeah I'm planning on sticking them on a FC5v2, specs for the SP120 call for 3w max, so im thinking 4/ch should be good enough for me

Just a little bit of an update today!

Got the Black Ice® GTX Gen Two Xtreme 480mm radiators in. Snapped a few pictures for everyone to look at. I know the glossy finish doesn't really match the mate black of the case but I'm hoping it won't throw off the look too much.

xa92dji.jpg

gVQKhwp.jpg

r7Qt69z.jpg

TS4fKTh.jpg

I went with a higher FPI radiator so I could actually take advantage of push pull. Won't be too much of an improvement but it made more sense than using a low FPI radiator in push pull so hopefully it was the right decision!

Just a little bit of an update, no pictures.

I picked up the 1/2" type M copper pipe last night. I was able to get it in straight lengths so no straightening for me! Originally I wanted run 3/8" but the local place only stocked 3/8" in coils.

I placed the order for the Koolance stuff as well. Originally submitted it through PPC but because of lack of stock they just sent the order directly to Koolance. Should work out fine.

Does anyone have any experience in bending nickel platted copper? I'm considering getting the pipe plated then bending it up. The shop I talked to said it would make plating much easier and that as long as I didn't go over 90 degree bends it should be fine but I am still hesitant. Thanks for the help!

It is starting to look like plating the copper pipe like I wanted is not going to be a viable option. Im considering painting the pipe. :wth:

I know its probably crazy but I really don't want the raw copper look because all of my waterblocks are nickel plated. So I am reaching out to you all for color suggestions!

Right now the colors are black, red, and polished nickel. I have seen some chrome style paint but I not sure if that will work so well. Black and red are the other options. The motherboard and Corsair fans are the only red items right now everything else is black.

So what do you all think?

Received the Koolance parts and the tubing bender today.

gsGEWkl.jpg

I know, real men have bigger reservoirs but with having two it was the biggest I could go with.

op9eb2V.jpg

t7UU8Y6.jpg

fXvaRro.jpg

CK7ibYe.jpg

Picked the Rigid bender up off of Ebay from a government surplus place for cheap. It seems to still have nice tight alignment so it should work just fine.

Hopefully I can come up with some ideas of what to do with the copper pipe since plating is not an option anymore. If anyone has suggestions please let me know!

UPDATES!

OfLGxwj.jpg

UL9pHBH.jpg

jiitZE3.jpg

I ended up changing my mind and I am going to go with a raid 0, 3770k, and a Asus Maximus V Formula.

In the photo above its missing the bottom pump and the other set of fans but I finally had some time to make a little progress. Sorry for the lack of updates recently.

Everything is coming together nicely. I decide to go with a textured black paint for the copper pipe that matches the case finish very well.

Expect quite a few more updates in the rest of the week!

Another little update. Started laying some pipe :thumb:

dilg1dk.jpg

J6aFguV.jpg

pWF38Cy.jpg

n16rxmO.jpg

I actually picked up some type L 1/2 OD copper pipe today from a local place and it actually bends really well with a bender. Much better than the type M I had before ( keeping collapsing in on itself). I would say soft is much easier to work with in tight places but the type L comes in straight lengths and looks better. The type L is pretty tough to use in tight situations as you can tell by looking at the short piece from the rad to cpu. I may try to redo it if I have some left over pipe. If you all see a better routing method let me know. Also from the rad to the pump could have one less bend.

So far the fittings seem to be doing okay. Hopefully the leak test proves it.

I didnt want the copper look either so I painted em black Don't shoot me please ha.

Waiting on the dang GPU sli bridge to get here!

I do love this Aquacomputer blocks though. The EVGA backplates even work with them. Had to use to use some motherboard screws though ha.

QqVaR1c.jpg

dJ1LN5y.jpg

Jt3HNWx.jpg

This is definitely one i will be following! Amazing work, can't wait to see the final production! Subbed!

Bent some more pipe last night AND put a fresh coat of paint on the Lamptron FC8 to match the case finish.

uUtOamU.jpg

miKNWBg.jpg

j5APwT5.jpg

TLawQbl.jpg

Awesome! I love how it looks very neat. Did you put any Teflon between the pipes and fittings?

Awesome! I love how it looks very neat. Did you put any Teflon between the pipes and fittings?

No. I would of thought I needed something in there but after contacting Koolance directly they said that it doesn't need anything. I really have to crank on them to get them water tight but once I get them tight enough they seem to work pretty well.

wow...the pipes look really good. Jealous of your pipe skills!

Thank ya! It took a little bit of practice but once I got it down it wasn't too bad at all. A good bender really helps and taking your time is key as well.

Sweet build man!

Thanks!

Just a little bit of an update.

Ordered up some inverterless red cold cathodes. Got a tripod coming as well so I can hopefully take some decent pics.

Looking for some ideas to cover up the ugly PSU support bar shown below. Any thoughts or suggestions shoot em my way. I was originally thinking about getting a black vinyl sticker made up with CaseLabs and project Hardline on it. Having a hard time sourcing someone to make this though.

dilg1dk.jpg

Where's your drain line? It would be interesting on how you'd do it since you're using copper pipes :)

Where's your drain line? It would be interesting on how you'd do it since you're using copper pipes :)

Drain line? Whats that ha? :confused:

Only kidding. I actually decided not to go with one. If all goes as planned I shouldnt have to drain the loop very much. When I do though I will just unscrew one of the pipes and remove it. Adding a drain line to each loop would off added unnecessary complexity and I was also having a hard time trying to figure out a fitting to use for a drain.

That is nicely done. The hardline is makes it very clean. Tempted to experiment with this myself.

Finally took some time and took some final pics! I have very poor photography skills but hopefully these can represent all my hard work.

BXQ4sgR.jpg

ndDXzSf.jpg

WlNezMQ.jpg

Q3tsTWi.jpg

BFK8UCJ.jpg

wfDIwig.jpg

5Q2MBMa.jpg

6DlZBCq.jpg

n7zkBw2.jpg

x7hAE9d.jpg

wQFKA9W.jpg

h536veM.jpg

The piping and wiring on the MB side are very impressive. Very clean build.
I am equally impressed with the reverse side - wiring looks great there as well.
Great job.

Oh man those copper pipes are awesome!!

Im pretty sure I could be a copper salesman at this point. I will never go back ha.

Amazing build!

Thank you :D

The piping and wiring on the MB side are very impressive. Very clean build.
I am equally impressed with the reverse side - wiring looks great there as well.
Great job.

Thank you. I thought it might of been a hassle mounting the PSU where I did but it actually worked out pretty well. Just gotta take your time and plan ahead :D

Back