Kim Dotcom Promising 50GB Of Free Storage

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to Kim Dotcom's latest tweet, his new site will be giving new users 50GB of storage for free. Not a bad deal but I wouldn't recommend uploading anything important considering old Megaupload customers are still SOL.

I wouldn't recommend uploading anything important considering old Megaupload customers are still SOL.

Exactly what i was thinking. Hot on the heels of what happened, I wouldn't have anything to do with this guys businesses considering.

That's not bad, considering that people maybe afraid of losing all of it, or having the government snoop around it.

If MegaUpload should teach everyone something, it's that you shouldn't trust cloud services. I don't know why it's become such a big deal to use cloud computing. Can't replace good old backups.

According to Kim Dotcom's latest tweet, his new site will be giving new users 50GB of storage for free. Not a bad deal but I wouldn't recommend uploading anything important considering old Megaupload customers are still SOL.

Don't see why not. encrypt it and don't let it be the only place you have a copy of it.

It's just like another spot for a backup to me.

That's not bad, considering that people maybe afraid of losing all of it, or having the government snoop around it.

If MegaUpload should teach everyone something, it's that you shouldn't trust cloud services. I don't know why it's become such a big deal to use cloud computing. Can't replace good old backups.

Yes, I agree with you here. I was one of those who moved everything over the cloud, jumped on that bandwagon. But its not the end all be all. I think its very important to keep files locally as well. Also, its important to remember that the internet is written in ink. When you put something out there, its pretty much always out there. Even private data storage to some degree, I would imagine anyways. Too stay on topic though, I'm surprised Kim Dotcom was able to fight his way out of the trouble he had found himself into. Regardless of what you think of him or his service, its an impressive feat.

i think this is going to be futile. The lawsuit fully fulfilled its goal. His site was obliterated and its presence gone long enough for everyone to move on.

It was a tragedy for the internet though. So much content has been lost, the internet is now rife with dead links. Everytime i want to downloadua game mod, say a rom for an older smartphone or almost any sort of user created content there's another dead megaupload link that'll never get treated because most of that community has moved on.

i think this is going to be futile. The lawsuit fully fulfilled its goal. His site was obliterated and its presence gone long enough for everyone to move on.

It was a tragedy for the internet though. So much content has been lost, the internet is now rife with dead links. Everytime i want to downloadua game mod, say a rom for an older smartphone or almost any sort of user created content there's another dead megaupload link that'll never get treated because most of that community has moved on.

There were a lot of dead links on the Internet before that happened too. I also think that calling the loss of MegaUpload a tragedy might giving it a bit more significance then it deserves. Bad for some people, absolutely, but not tragic.

There were a lot of dead links on the Internet before that happened too. I also think that calling the loss of MegaUpload a tragedy might giving it a bit more significance then it deserves. Bad for some people, absolutely, but not tragic.

I like how people pretend that 99% of the links weren't outdated warez and virus-laden cracks.

I like how people pretend that 99% of the links weren't outdated warez and virus-laden cracks.

I certainly don't pretend that it wasn't, but i didn't really use megaupload for that, i'm not willing to pay for pirated downloads which you had to if you wanted to download anything decent.

It was only after it was gone that i realised how much legitimate user content that it hosted.

50GB eh?

Not bad to use it as a secondary backup for my core important files (encrypted of course) I remember reading that it will offer some sort of encryption for your stuff via the site ,however I don't trust "their" encryption.

True Crypt it into a spanned archive, or Acronis image and call it a day.

Because the Cloud™ is magical. The name alone bespeaks the stuff of candy cane filled dreams. Back when it was just called "hosted" or "colocated" well you see it just wasn't the talk of the town and every cocktail party like The Cloud™. Its like New Coke except it stuck.

So never anyone mind that hosted services have been around for f-cking decades, the Cloud and its cousin the iCloud are like cruise control for cool and everybody wants a ride.

Because the Cloud™ is magical. The name alone bespeaks the stuff of candy cane filled dreams. Back when it was just called "hosted" or "colocated" well you see it just wasn't the talk of the town and every cocktail party like The Cloud™. Its like New Coke except it stuck.

So never anyone mind that hosted services have been around for f-cking decades, the Cloud and its cousin the iCloud are like cruise control for cool and everybody wants a ride.

So dead on, can I quote you to my clients?

:D

Free or not, it is not worth anything if everyone and their brother can get to it, or if it suddenly disappears one day.

regardless i love kim dot com, he wont lose the lawsuit and hes gonna end up embarrassing the govt. they did a lot of questionable shit.

not to mention the man is rich and lavish as shit. which is awesome when youre as big as him haha

regardless i love kim dot com, he wont lose the lawsuit and hes gonna end up embarrassing the govt. they did a lot of questionable shit.

not to mention the man is rich and lavish as shit. which is awesome when youre as big as him haha

Wallet size trumps all, no doubt.

Anyone remember the video footage of the "red room" when his house got raided and he was hiding in there? Wasn't really built out in the usual panic room sense, I got the eerie feeling he goes in there when everyone's asleep and he puts on the giant baby bonnet and Huggies and a hooker chases him around with a whip for 30 min. Just a vibe.

Back