Dispaly 23-24 no-LED, IPS Advice

freituk

n00b
Hello
Need an advice to buy a Display 23'' or 24'', 1920x1080, IPS, NO-LED Backlight.
Want to know the Budget.
Want to know th Best
thanks

I doubt you will find anything "new" with CCFL as everything has pretty much moved onto some form of LED backlighting. That means you'll need to start looking at the factory outlets for something refurbished, a buy/sale/trade forum, ebay, etc. Prices will vary and, "the best" is pretty subjective since it's based on an individual's needs/wants/preferences.

If money is no object, NEC still makes CCFL IPS screens. I expect Eizo probably does too. But they'll be expensive. I think the NEC PA231W-BK uses CCFL ... but it also retails for around $570. And as with many IPS monitors, I'd say it probably has a heavy AG coating (not sure if that matters to you or not).

lets forget IPS. (keep all the others characteristics)
I need a monitor for coding, a little photo editing, some gaming like wow, D3.
The angle view is a kind of important for me, cause the person on my side need to look at my monitor too.

I m not pannel expert, only basics.
all the "led" (at least info say only "led backlight") displays i tried, make my Eye Strain/Headaches.
Cant use my last dell u2412m, had to give it to my wife.
On the other side my dell u2311m give me the best/relaxing reading i haver had. I just love it.
So i m guessing the led is the problem, since i cant find more u2311m, i m trying to find some replacement, another u2311h would be the best option... but cant find it anymore :(

If it's PWM that's a problem, BenQ has a upcoming 27"er (2760) LED that is supposedly PWM-free, I believe. It's AMVA.

Eizo makes a 24", 16:10 IPS LED PWM free (sorta, at lower brightness I think PWM kicks in)? But it'll be $500ish, at least.

Some of the 24", Dell S series, may be PWM free. But that could be a lottery. That size is AMVA.

But if angles are important, I'm not so sure VA will suit your purposes. It'll be fine (I'd think) for the person using it, assuming they don't move around a ton, but not so sure others will be able to see the same image as you without some color shift.

Take a look at eBay for some older CCFL models... sometimes you can even find new old stock. I see a new in box 2311H on eBay now for $245 shipped, for instance.

thanks Namelessme, good info (and al the others who help this thread ;))

what about Eizo foris fs2333 ?

I know its LED, but its PWM free? read somewhere,besides other things, its great for text reading.

Note: PWM is Pulse-width modulation ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-width_modulation

Unfortunately, FS2333 is not PWM free. See the prad.de test results here. However, there is a similar Eizo model, EV2336WFS, which is PWM free for brightness level of 20% or greater.

Unfortunately, FS2333 is not PWM free. See the prad.de test results here. However, there is a similar Eizo model, EV2336WFS, which is PWM free for brightness level of 20% or greater.

Is EV2336WFS the same as Eizo EV2436WFS-BK in terms of LED technology (no PWM) ?
I couldnt find any EV2336WFS review but Prad.de have tested the EV2436WFS-BK with very good results for LED flickering problem.

Is EV2336WFS the same as Eizo EV2436WFS-BK in terms of LED technology (no PWM) ?
I couldnt find any EV2336WFS review but Prad.de have tested the EV2436WFS-BK with very good results for LED flickering problem.

Yes, I believe they use the same lighting tech. I think the 24" may be ~$130 more than the 23".

Ok poindexter, thanks
I just order the EV2336WFS.
Sharing my experience in 1 week :)

cya

after 1 month .... (damn online shops )

happy ending :)
Couldn't be more happy. this display is great, on every aspects.
This is the first LED display that i can use without feeling Headaches.
The light its so... smooth , can't feel any LED flickering.
The best monitor i haver looked, by far!

If you have the same problem i have, with common LED technology, this is the right monitor for you.

I m very happy now

Thanks all for the great help finding this monitor :D

How do you find the anti-glare coating (the sparkly stuff you can see on white backgrounds) compared to the U2412M? Can it be spotted at all in the case of the EV2336W?

I think the coating its much soft than any Dell IPS i tried.

coating.jpg

In this image:
Left side - Dell U2311H
Right side - Eizo EV2336WFS-BK

Its hard to photograph the coating, but i think give a litle idea of the difference

anyway i think the coatig its much more evident on U2412M (maybe cause of LED flickering) than on U2311H.
For me, this coating is not to Hard. but its my opinion.

If it's PWM that's a problem, BenQ has a upcoming 27"er (2760) LED that is supposedly PWM-free, I believe. It's AMVA.

Eizo makes a 24", 16:10 IPS LED PWM free (sorta, at lower brightness I think PWM kicks in)? But it'll be $500ish, at least.

Some of the 24", Dell S series, may be PWM free. But that could be a lottery. That size is AMVA.

But if angles are important, I'm not so sure VA will suit your purposes. It'll be fine (I'd think) for the person using it, assuming they don't move around a ton, but not so sure others will be able to see the same image as you without some color shift.

Take a look at eBay for some older CCFL models... sometimes you can even find new old stock. I see a new in box 2311H on eBay now for $245 shipped, for instance.

the viewing angles on a pva or mva panel are the same as an IPS panel, 178 degrees.

the viewing angles on a pva or mva panel are the same as an IPS panel, 178 degrees.

The quoted viewing angles are the same. In an actual usage scenario though, the IPS viewing angles are better. That is especially true once you factor in the "viewing cone" VA panels have. While I prefer VA panels (due to the perceived black level depth), I have yet to see one actually match the viewing angles of even a "cheap" e-IPS panel.

Hey how come these Eizo models are so hard to find? Either the EV2436WFS-BK or EV2336WFS? I'm interested... but they're barely sold anywhere.

The quoted viewing angles are the same. In an actual usage scenario though, the IPS viewing angles are better. That is especially true once you factor in the "viewing cone" VA panels have. While I prefer VA panels (due to the perceived black level depth), I have yet to see one actually match the viewing angles of even a "cheap" e-IPS panel.

I have an lg246 with a PMVA panel which I find to be a perfect happy medium between pva and ips, better blacks, viewing angles aside from the spec. My IPS monitor does have better viewing angle than the pmva which im sure is a result of the higher colors of the ips.

Its a shame they dont make PMVA panels anymore, TN won the day with the consumer herd, then they hacked off vertical size of panels and went 16:9 which was another disappointment.

You may not find any more U2311h's (and I agree they were a great screen) but the U2410 is from the same era and is non-LED, when I tried one it was just a size upgrade from the U2311h and I didn't notice a difference using it.

Sales for these may be restricted to eBay resellers though, if that is an option for you.

You may not find any more U2311h's (and I agree they were a great screen) but the U2410 is from the same era and is non-LED, when I tried one it was just a size upgrade from the U2311h and I didn't notice a difference using it.

Sales for these may be restricted to eBay resellers though, if that is an option for you.

You right, but the U2410 have 2 problems for me, price and size.
The Eizo i bought, its cheaper and 16:9 (make ideal pair for my U2311h). Its LED but its perfect for my eyes... i very happy with this monitor, can stay hours working (gaming :)), without feeling eye strain/headaches
Btw, colour in games (compared to U2311h) are so soft and beautiful. By far ,the best image haver saw in pc monitor.
I bought mine in Portugal, in www.pcdiga.com, they dont have it on site, i had to email asking to order. They import somewhere from German.

Last edited:
Ive asked BenQ and they have confirmed that the GW2X60 monitors will not be comming to north america so if you live in Canada or the US then strike that one off the list.

Why no LED? Did you mean no PWM LED instead?

current led monitors do not offer a high gamut in the sgrb color space, there are a few but not many and high cost, ccfl backlight offers more colors than led hence the reason why professional monitors still use ccfl

if colors arent a big deal for you then i would think an led would suffice

lets forget IPS. (keep all the others characteristics)
I need a monitor for coding, a little photo editing, some gaming like wow, D3.
The angle view is a kind of important for me, cause the person on my side need to look at my monitor too.

if you dont want IPS due to expense, there's a lower cost EIPS solution, I would stick with non TN panels, pmva, amva, spva etc. , i have a pmva panel and really like it good angles good blacks though less color than ips its a good compromise if you can find anyone using an mva type panel.

I don't know if it's just me, but I find this thread amusing. The OP chose a monitor somewhat back in the thread -- Eizo EV2336WFS -- so I don't think he really needs further suggestions anymore. I have a feeling people didn't read through his posts fully.

@ Ultrasonic

Yep, it's 16:9, not 16:10.

@conghelach

Wide gamut would be a hindrance to most people, unless that person was a professional photographer, etc. In the OP's case, due to him choosing a PWM-free monitor (mostly PWM free, anyway), the issue appeared to be due to PWM, not color space.

Back