Borderlands 2 Level Cap Increase Coming 'Soon'

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to James Lopez, associate producer on Borderlands 2, a level cap increase is coming sometime in Q1. Here's what Mr. Lopez had to say:

The cap raise timing is partly dictated by Borderlands 2′s increased stat tracking. “With Borderlands 1 we had to go by forum posts, and by checking out the number times certain achievements had been unlocked to really get an idea of where players were” explains Lopez. “But SHiFT allows us to see a lot more about the way players are playing the game, and see what they’re doing. We wanted to give people enough time to get at least one level 50 in there, and then see from there, how many people are doing this. Is this a good time for this? We also didn’t want to wait so long that people were no longer interested, or felt like it wasn’t coming”.

As much as I loved the actual game, there was little reason to play it after the first pass. Between gold and item duping, all the wow-factor of item gathering flat-lined.

I enjoyed BL1 much more than BL2.. Got bored of BL2 after about 15-20hrs gameplay and it sucks they toned down the gore and dismemberment for BL2 just so they could get an "uncut" worldwide release. Sellouts.

As much as I loved the actual game, there was little reason to play it after the first pass. Between gold and item duping, all the wow-factor of item gathering flat-lined.

Yep. I'm bored with it as well. It was a great experience and I'm looking forward to BL3 but I think its fair to say the game has run its course.

I bought a season pass when it was on sale for like $7, but I have yet to go back and get it. When I raided my SSDs and reinstalled my OS I lost my save :c. One of the best games I've played in a while. I thought it was much better than BL1.

speaking about losing saves, my game crashed and i lost my lvl 43 zero, there is no reason that a game that came out in 2012 only has 1 save slot and does not make backups of its self. its a fun game but that killed it for me.

speaking about losing saves, my game crashed and i lost my lvl 43 zero, there is no reason that a game that came out in 2012 only has 1 save slot and does not make backups of its self. its a fun game but that killed it for me.

Yea, not to mention the whole save data corruption fiasco. Thankfully, one of their coders contacted me and we personally trouble shooted my save files so they could figure out what was going on and patch it for everyone. Because the support from Gearbox and 2K just kept telling everyone to "go ask X" (2K says ask Gearbox, Gearbox says ask 2K).

It's saved locally, you can always back it up yourself.

I don't understand the comments regarding single save slots and lost save data (the corruption of data was an issue early on but since resolved)

the game has more than one save slot and everything is synced to steam cloud
if your saves are completely disappearing from formatting your hard drive something is malfunctioning or you didn't answer the steam cloud sync prompt correctly when it asked to reconcile the differences

I enjoyed the game enough to finish the second play through however I'm not sure a level cap increase will make anything more of this game. I have none of the DLCs and unless we see something like General Knoxx's Armory I doubt I'll be interested in anything else they release.

I'm guessing everyone who lost save files is pirating the game - because like another said, its DRM is Steam, which automatically backs up your save game file (on both BL1 and BL2)

I enjoyed the game enough to finish the second play through however I'm not sure a level cap increase will make anything more of this game. I have none of the DLCs and unless we see something like General Knoxx's Armory I doubt I'll be interested in anything else they release.
How would you know if you don't have the DLCs?

I own the DLCs, and they're all very entertaining. Gearbox said that their standard for BL2 DLC is General Knoxx, and I think they've done a pretty good job with that. And they very much do need to increase the level cap. TVHM is harder than the first playthrough, but once you get to 50, there's not really as much of a challenge, except for the raid bosses.

I'm actually enjoying playing back through on True Vault Hunter mode more than I did the first pass. It is more challenging and there are new enemies to fight. My plan is to hit level 50 in the base game and then buy the season pass and play the DLCs when the level cap is increased.

Actually the game does create a .bak file whenever it modifies the .sav file format given character. And there's cloud sync as well.

Now image if the level cap increase came with a DLC not included in the (current) Season Pass.

the last thing i want them to do to borderlands 2 is raise the level cap because it removes all the skill from building your skill tree. I like the strategy of respecing your skill points, but if you can use 10-20 more points on it, then it becomes redundant because you can basically get all the good upgrades at the same time. Also instead of using a modifier that matches your skill tree you'll just use a level 5 legendary because it gives you the maximum additional skill points rather than using one that may give you less that matches the build of your character.

I'm super excited to play sir hammerlocks dlc finally tonight (i only game on friday/saturday nights) even tho the community response is as bipolar as that crazy chick you should never have stuck your dick in.

Even though i'm sure that as soon as i log on when the level cap increase is implemented my main character will be instantly capped at the new level cap, i really have no interest in grinding for new legendary weapons again. If there's one thing i hate in gaming its most definitely grinding. I remember when levels were just about what section of the game you were in. Back before you could do fancy things like save your game or get 'finish' a game. No they just got harder and faster until you came er i mean died. Or at least where if you lost all your lives you'd have to start at the beginning again.

I just think that character levels and item grinding are the bane of videogames. I'd much prefer more actual content or at least content that gets more difficult the more you have progressed through the game. But instead your 'reward' for playing the game for longer in most cases is that the game gets easier, cas even if the enemies scale to your level your equipment and skills more than close that gap.

What i'd really like is for all the arenas in borderlands 2 to reopen with 20 more levels that just become insane difficult with more and more difficult enemies (i love the arena battles far more than the bosses which are pretty dull and rigid in comparison to a crazy free for all)

About freaking time. Been waiting to really play the DLC on my main char. HURRY BORDERLANDS 2 HURRY.

Now image if the level cap increase came with a DLC not included in the (current) Season Pass.

That would be a nightmare as it would totally put you out of sync with other players if you refused to buy it. I couldn't really see how they could justify charging money for something that isn't even any new content, rather simply changing a few number values in the game.

Borderlands 2 was by far my favorite game for 2012 and have bought all the dlc for it so far, even the mechromancer which i never used and the 'collectors edition' which was just a few useless weapons and skins that i had already traded for ingame. I'll buy the second season pass if it comes out but i wont be buying this mystery 6th character, but if they charged purely for a level cap that may push me over the edge and stop playing the game rather than fork over more money for basically nothing. I've already spent PLENTY of cash on this game.

Don't you backup your save games? I have a batch file using robocopy that is scheduled to run daily that not only keep a mirror on another server of all my data but specifly all my save game data.

The first thing i do when i install a new game is create a save game and search for everywhere the game dumps its save games and settings, such as my document, application data, steam, gfwl, rgsc etc etc and add those paths to my gamesaves batch folder to direct to a folder on my storage array for that game and make a batch file to restore the save/settings data for that game seperately and put it there too.

I mean half the reason myself and i'm sure other people don't return to old games is because their save data is long gone. I set this up so that in 2 years time if i feel like playing an old game for half an hour i wont just think fuck i gotta sit through the intro movies and 'training' parts of the game again.

I'm not sure what the point of this is. Unless some massive new plot-related DLC (and not a bunch of fetch quests) arrives, oh look, the enemies are slightly tougher and the numbers are slightly bigger.

I bought a Season Pass, but would not buy another one since so far, the DLC has been rather repetitive. Enemies get reskinned, the quests stay the same. If it was "same mechanic, more story" I'd be okay with it--as in more story that adds onto the main plotline.

Unless the last DLC ties them all together, the DLCs aren't really adding much.

Level cap is a global setting that has zero to do with DLC's, I'm baffled by how often im hearing this sky-is-falling goofiness. It didn't in BL1, it won't in BL2.

lvl cap increase? Too late, already got bored with the game.

I'm not a big fan of leveling up,it was my least favorite part of the Fallout games,which I otherwise enjoyed. It just feels unrealistic,unlike STALKER where your character improves as the game progresses by finding better weapons,armor,and artifacts.

My brother and I bought BL2 during the steam sale, He got the DLC's, I did not. We're both halfway through vault hunter mode (MUCH harder), but I'm pretty sure by the time we finish the main campaign I'll be done with it.

Compared to BL1, this game is better in every aspect, and I'm not sure how someone would think BL1 is superior to BL2 in any way...but you know, I'm opinionated about opinions.

I still kind of wish the game used the original art direction (realistic, dark, gritty) from the alphas, it would have been like Hellgate: London but not bad.

(semi-spoiler)
Given the ending of BL2, I'm sure BL3 will have better variety in maps/levels

BL1 was great because it was fresh, BL2 didn't add anything except for some good dialogue here and there. I got BL2 and the Season Pass on sale at launch ($50 for everything). If they make a BL3 I'll probably get it, but only once it's bargain bin. I guess I just don't get much replay value out of gear grinding.

The one thing I'll never understand about Borderlands 2 is the "play co-op for better loot drops" thing that Gearbox is pushing. I mean, I understand why they are doing it BUT it makes absolutely no sense.

So, I can team up with four level 50 players and defeat a raid boss for the BEST LOOT...

-or-

I can solo the same boss and get ass-like loot in comparison. WTF?

Shouldn't the guy that beat Terramorphous solo deserve better loot that a team of four that did the same thing? Probably just me but it just seems retarded.

The one thing I'll never understand about Borderlands 2 is the "play co-op for better loot drops" thing that Gearbox is pushing. I mean, I understand why they are doing it BUT it makes absolutely no sense.

So, I can team up with four level 50 players and defeat a raid boss for the BEST LOOT...

-or-

Shouldn't the guy that beat Terramorphous solo deserve better loot that a team of four that did the same thing? Probably just me but it just seems retarded.

It makes perfect sense to me. Gearbox is a business. As a business their goal is to try and make lots of money. If you are encouraged to play to play with others to get better loot you are more likely to try and talk your friends into getting the game since there would be something in it for you. I had a friend one time pushing me hardcore to get a World of Warcraft subscription. He just wouldn't take no for an answer. Later I found out why. Activision was running a promotion where he would get an entire months of playtime for free if he could recruit another person to start playing. I'm sure Gearbox is using the same scheme.

It makes perfect sense to me. Gearbox is a business. As a business their goal is to try and make lots of money. If you are encouraged to play to play with others to get better loot you are more likely to try and talk your friends into getting the game since there would be something in it for you. I had a friend one time pushing me hardcore to get a World of Warcraft subscription. He just wouldn't take no for an answer. Later I found out why. Activision was running a promotion where he would get an entire months of playtime for free if he could recruit another person to start playing. I'm sure Gearbox is using the same scheme.
Ah, now I really don't want to play BL2 anymore.

Yeah I just finished Scarlet's Pirate Booty. It had some funny moments but it was all about fetch quests.... the buried treasure side quests were too hard for me, I had to look up hints on the net... those X's were hard to find.

I'll be starting the 2nd DLC this weekend... man I hope you can keep the sand skiff. That is hands down the best vehicle so far.

And regarding the save data.... it's all backed up by Steam, right?

It makes perfect sense to me. Gearbox is a business. As a business their goal is to try and make lots of money. If you are encouraged to play to play with others to get better loot you are more likely to try and talk your friends into getting the game since there would be something in it for you.

That's why I said "I understand why they are doing it BUT it makes absolutely no sense." just sucks that the total obvious (1 person beating a boss should = better loot than 4 people doing it) is ignored. It's like being penalized for playing solo.

That's always been my biggest gripe with Borderlands - lack of difficulty settings. Luckily the mod exists that allows you to simulate X number of players, increasing difficulty and loot drops while still allowing single-player play.

-or-

No. Beating the raid bosses solo calls for specific classes, builds, equipment, and/or dirty tricks. The majority of players aren't going to be able to min/max their way into accomplishing that goal and so they rely on multiplayer to do so. By increasing the loot drops in multiplayer, that gives an incentive for all players to group up to fight the big bosses.

Also, in my experience grouping up simply gives more great loot, not necessarily better great loot. More people = more rolls, which does make sense.

Finally, what constitutes great loot will differ from character to character, let alone player to player. A Bee shield, for example, can be great for one player/character in coop and be all-but-entirely useless for another player/character solo. I've given away a number of legendary items simply because I found them incompatible with a particular character/playstyle. I haven't found a weapon yet for my [Legendary] Mechromancer build better than a top-level purple Torgue shotgun, which is hardly difficult to find, solo or coop.

BL2 is much better than the first in my opinion.... Currently only at level 20, but I only play co-op. Borderlands is designed around the co-op. If you haven't tried it you really have to. Even if it is just with one person it is worth it. I was really disappointed with the current generation of consoles because of no multiplayer games, and but lbp and borderlands are starting to change my mind

No. Beating the raid bosses solo calls for specific classes, builds, equipment, and/or dirty tricks. The majority of players aren't going to be able to min/max their way into accomplishing that goal and so they rely on multiplayer to do so. By increasing the loot drops in multiplayer, that gives an incentive for all players to group up to fight the big bosses.

Also, in my experience grouping up simply gives more great loot, not necessarily better great loot. More people = more rolls, which does make sense.

Finally, what constitutes great loot will differ from character to character, let alone player to player. A Bee shield, for example, can be great for one player/character in coop and be all-but-entirely useless for another player/character solo. I've given away a number of legendary items simply because I found them incompatible with a particular character/playstyle. I haven't found a weapon yet for my [Legendary] Mechromancer build better than a top-level purple Torgue shotgun, which is hardly difficult to find, solo or coop.

This guy knows of what he speaks. A+

BL2 is much better than the first in my opinion.... Currently only at level 20, but I only play co-op. Borderlands is designed around the co-op. If you haven't tried it you really have to. Even if it is just with one person it is worth it. I was really disappointed with the current generation of consoles because of no multiplayer games, and but lbp and borderlands are starting to change my mind

Why do you think BL2 is a much better game than the first? Every time I hear people say BL2 is better they can never explain why. On the other hand i've heard lots and lots of reasons why borderlands 1 is better. So even though i've never played the first Borderlands i'm pretty sure it's better based off what I heard that made sense.

ZodaEX: BL1 isn't necessarily (better), the two are just different. Each has strengths. I played BL2 before I ever touched BL1. Finished BL2, tried BL1, the first 30 min was rough and felt like a big step backward from BL2, then it really opened up. There's a grittiness to BL1 that is lost on BL2. Things like the elemental pistols in BL1 are reason alone to try it - Mordecai build with pistol skilltree buildout and find yourself a scoped pestilent defiler = destroyer of worlds.

If you dont already have BL1, get the GOTY edition since it includes all the DLC. GreenManGaming usually offers it at a discount (Steam version).

Back