High Tech Building Demolition

Of course they are good at it. They had so many years of practice what with that whole Godzilla problem they had.

It's an interesting method mostly for specialty cases of tearing down very tall buildings. Wonder if it tearing it from top down causes structural problems.

that's awesome

they must open a vertical shaft to the bottom and convert the ground floor into a big loading bay first, multiple roller cranes could be integrated into the cap

...but something's missing. Can they add big speakers that go NOM-NOM-NOM occasionally?

I hope no one accidentally presses the Big Red Button (TM) while the building is still occupied. :eek:

how do we know they are really demo the building, it could of just as easily been a construction video played in reverse. :)

Now they just need to find a way to build the new building out the top as they move down the old building

A plane would probably be faster and cheaper.

Faster yes, cheaper no. Because then the country would spend billions in ill conceived security changes that only accomplish stripping freedoms and providing an illusion of safety.

1. How the hell are they doing that?
2. Looks like it would take weeks to demolish a building. Not very useful.

While I agree that it is not as attention grabbing or fun to watch as a good old explosive or implosive demolition, that is some really neat stuff there. :)

So they obviously sped up the video, but couldn't speed it up(or make it last long enough) to show the whole building coming down. Apparently they just have some frame work and manually tear the building apart as move it down a level and repeat. Ecological solution? Yeah I guess if you want to wait a really long time to remove a building, another ecological solution, open the roof and let the rain and elements naturally destroy it.

So they obviously sped up the video, but couldn't speed it up(or make it last long enough) to show the whole building coming down. Apparently they just have some frame work and manually tear the building apart as move it down a level and repeat. Ecological solution? Yeah I guess if you want to wait a really long time to remove a building, another ecological solution, open the roof and let the rain and elements naturally destroy it.

Not enough information from watching just the video and, while im not in the construction/demolition business, I could see this being possibly faster/cheaper. If they have a central shaft to move all the debris into, they could have trucks waiting at the bottom that fill up and move on to the junk yard as each floor is demolished instead of destroying the entire building at once and then bringing in crews to further clean up the giant pile of rubble that is created. Either way, its a lot better for the environment and the people around not having to suck in the dust...especially if there are really old building materials in there.

It's an interesting method mostly for specialty cases of tearing down very tall buildings. Wonder if it tearing it from top down causes structural problems.

No, it is the same as how they build it, bottom up.. they just remove it floor by floor, i am sure you get ALOT more in terms of re-usable material out of the project instead of blowing most of it up

for some odd reason the way the building dropped reminded me of space invaders.

And for the person that made the plane comment, somebody needs to put some powder on their hand, and pimp slap the shit out of you. I

1. How the hell are they doing that?
2. Looks like it would take weeks to demolish a building. Not very useful.

There are multiple ways to destroy a skyscrapper, but all of them are dealing with taking it apart floor by floor. Smaller buildings, you can easily implode, as they have little mass to them. Large buildings this isn't possible, without a large amount of open area around them to allow for the debris to come down. That or they simply aren't permitted to implode them.

So you have multiple methods of dismantling it. You have the top down method, like in this article. Another Japanese company does the down to top method, where they knock out the lower floors first. The building is supported by hydraulic jacks as they remove the floor. Then they lower the building down to ground level and start again.

Anyways, there has yet to be a single metal frame skyscraper to have been imploded in the world.

Back