Funny Windows Error Message

Not sure which is funnier, the fact that it's on a phone based on the NT kernel or that some sites are making it much more of a deal than it really is.

Comical (as HardOCP puts the spin on it) or people getting upset with it (with several other sites).

I wonder if that Nokia phone has an optional disc drive purchased separately. LMAO.

I bet Microsoft will fix this with the next update to Windows Phone so the error message is appropriate for a phone. Anyone know what caused the error in the first place?

I wonder if that Nokia phone has an optional disc drive purchased separately. LMAO.

I bet Microsoft will fix this with the next update to Windows Phone so the error message is appropriate for a phone. Anyone know what caused the error in the first place?

The article says the original users was flashing roms.

Anyone know what caused the error in the first place?

From the tweets at the bottom, it looks like the guy was messing around with the kernel and flashing it to his phone, obviously not very successfully.

This reminds me of the classic Win 95 warning message that I saw on the old Pentium when you didn't have a mouse plugged in and it warned you at boot:
No mouse: "...click OK to continue"

I was first like huh? then I clicked the link instead of just looking at the pic. If the OS on the phone is that similar to a PC OS why aren't we getting admin rights to it and then effing with stuff?

I wonder if you could make a bootable Windows installer on a MicroSD.....lol

Yeah, that's "funny" all right - a half baked product that displays impossible solutions to the problem. Very Microsoft :D

Haha so funny!!
Take picture of error screen with a phone then post on the internet!!

HOW CLEVER!!

I was first like huh? then I clicked the link instead of just looking at the pic. If the OS on the phone is that similar to a PC OS why aren't we getting admin rights to it and then effing with stuff?

Short, short, short, short version: Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, and Windows 8 RT have the same kernel and same exact underlying Operating System. One of Microsoft's pre-launch features for this merge was the advertised ability to run the same Metro apps on WP8, W8RT, and Win8.

As we got to the product launches that feature evaporated into thin air. The entire point of the metro-interface (unified Phone, tablet, and Desktop UI) coupled with the entire point of centralizing on the NT6 kernel went... missing.... for lack of a better term.

Now, just exactly why these features were pulled is as of yet unknown.

My personal guess is that the lockout is based on the success of Android and GNU/Linux. Microsoft's push on Restricted Boot is entirely designed to put the kibosh on the consumer's ability to choose their own operating system. Allowing users to possibly choose not to use a Microsoft Operating System is pure anathema for Microsoft.

Simply allowing users /root level access to Windows Phone 8 or Windows 8 RT devices would just make it that much easier for a user to swap in an OS they'd rather use (Android or GNU/Linux), and per mandates from Steve Ballmer's office, that could not be allowed to happen under any circumstances.

That's why everyone should carry along a USB ROM drive with their phone and buy the physical recovery media option.

Protip: Slot loading ROM drives work better in pockets because the tray faceplate doesn't get snagged on your jeans when you're taking it out to do an emergency Windows Phone OS load. Just don't forget a can of compressed air as well in case there's a need to clean lint from the inside of the drive.

Yeah, that's an HTC 8X and either way that and the Nokia are awesome phones, I love my Lumia 920, not a single problem since launch day purchase.

At least its not a blue screen.

Typical error, not funny TBH just normal Windows protocal.

Reboot, safemode and it will be good.

I don't get why this is funny. This is some moron flashing roms that wren't meant for his phone onto his phone. Of course it fucked up.

Yeah, I have to admit I didn't get it at first just looking at the pic. I kept reading the message and thinking "Uh, what is so funny about this?" When I was about to close the tab, I finally realized it was a phone.

don't they have optical drives that connect to phones via usb?

Could this not just be a JPEG being viewed on the phone at the time these pictures are taken? Hell, with the right image my Galaxy S3 could appear to be running iOS...

My favorite error message of all time was in windows media player, it gave me a catastrophic error. I'll see if I can find it (I used to save all of the errors.. I don't know why. I'm weird).

I can't find that image, still looking. I found another fun one though:

pZHGM.jpg

its an HTC 8X

That's not so much funny as awesome, clear demonstration of a full Windows 8 kernel on a thin mobile device. Big times are ahead. It would have been funny if it had randomly happened, not been due to him screwing around. However it also means people might actually find ways to get into the registry, then the real fun begins. I don't miss my android flashing/hacking days, but it's always good to know there are options.

Back