Sony Eyes $1 Billion Building Sale in Japan

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
A sad state of affairs for the once mega-corporation Sony. The corporation is raising cash by downsizing its operation and selling off its assets to try to right the corporate ship and get back on solid financial footing. On the block now is a Billion dollar two-year old building in downtown Tokyo.

Hirai is trying to revive Sony's operation by initiating a "One Sony" program aimed at realigning its focus on games, digital imaging, and mobile. Hirai has also laid off workers and shed assets.

Two years old? Almost time to knock that ancient thing down and build a new one.

Sure Sony makes nice stuff, but perhaps if they had not pissed so many consumers off with their self righteous root-kits and customer-unfriendly service, things might have been different.

Sure Sony makes nice stuff, but perhaps if they had not pissed so many consumers off with their self righteous root-kits and customer-unfriendly service, things might have been different.

I'm fairly confident it has more to do with proprietary hardware and a failed business model. The root kit thing is old as hell iirc, might as well say they sold off their customers cc numbers during the hacking instead.

I'm fairly confident it has more to do with proprietary hardware and a failed business model. The root kit thing is old as hell iirc, might as well say they sold off their customers cc numbers during the hacking instead.

I have to agree with you. Look at the Vita, if Sony would have allowed standard memory cards it would have sold much better. I just don't get their decision making :confused:

Sony makes many good products. It's a shame Sony's mess-ups over the past couple of years have cost them a boat-load of money leading them to sell off assets to improve their bottom line.

I hope they find a buyer for the building soon and get out of the hole they are in.

I have to agree with you. Look at the Vita, if Sony would have allowed standard memory cards it would have sold much better. I just don't get their decision making :confused:

They should have handled Vita differently, normal SD cards and tell developers the royalties on the first 2 years of Vitas life is free, plus free dev kits, etc.

They released an expensive hand held and punished developers, that is under no circumstances a recipe for success. They could rely on PSN transactions for a nice profit but no, it looks to go the way of the PSP yet again.

They should have handled Vita differently, normal SD cards and tell developers the royalties on the first 2 years of Vitas life is free, plus free dev kits, etc.

They released an expensive hand held and punished developers, that is under no circumstances a recipe for success. They could rely on PSN transactions for a nice profit but no, it looks to go the way of the PSP yet again.

No sympathy. As others have said, crap business model.
This is a fine example of customers voting with their wallets, that a business is not "too big to fail", and capitalism at work.
Hopefully this example makes it's way into business school classes so future companies may figure out what not to do.

Pretty sure this is because of poor business decisions not customer service. Plenty of examples of not so friendly companies thriving in spite of the way they treat customers.

As long as their game studios stay around (Planetside 2 is awesome!) the rest of Sony can die in a fire.

I like the Sony products I own, which consists of the PS2 and PS3. However, their corporate operations make me very confused. The hack didn't hurt me as I still have yet to add a credit card to my account, but it was one of those things where they responded as fast as a sloth in molasses.

I think they make great stuff, but they fuck up the experience every single time with how they handle things when shit happens. Occasionally, the upper management does something stupid (root kit/stupid users) directly, but usually it's just the company having its head up its ass in terms of customer service.

The only thing Sony has done that's actually pissed me off was the redesign of the Playstation Store. It's harder to navigate now especially compared to the old version. Also, the Xbox doesn't have this issue.

Master [H];1039509903 said:
I like the Sony products I own, which consists of the PS2 and PS3. However, their corporate operations make me very confused. The hack didn't hurt me as I still have yet to add a credit card to my account, but it was one of those things where they responded as fast as a sloth in molasses.

I think they make great stuff, but they fuck up the experience every single time with how they handle things when shit happens. Occasionally, the upper management does something stupid (root kit/stupid users) directly, but usually it's just the company having its head up its ass in terms of customer service.

The only thing Sony has done that's actually pissed me off was the redesign of the Playstation Store. It's harder to navigate now especially compared to the old version. Also, the Xbox doesn't have this issue.

Almost agreed with everything you said. :) Guess we can only wait and see what happens with them. My last sony product I bought was the ps3 original(few months after launch)

I'm not sure that would have helped all that much. Sadly, as soon as I heard that the Vita was going to use phone hardware, I had a bad feeling about their chances. I mean, why make it so that potential customers can compare a slow cycling games console with hyper-fast cycling phones that are released, launched, and then obsoleted in the space of a year or two? Unfortunately for them, that's the direction mobile console gaming is heading towards. The 3DS seems to be doing...ok, but not much more than that.

Sony "used" to be a good name related to quality and more, it did grow too big and gots it's hands in too much and quality went to crap...

You do all know that Sony produces and has produced lots of tech that you all use every day, right? Right?

There's this weird fairytale view that they just make TVs or something...

No, the fairy tale is they create top notch high quality items... like they used to 10+ years ago... Sony now is seens by many to be like.... Monster?? .. Apple...

You pay for the name now...........

Here's to hoping that Polyphony Digital will go solo and start work on a PC title. ;)

Maybe instead of fighthing pointless battles against grannies and 15 year old children who downloaded a song or two, you should have been working on keeping up with the digital world and creating new and awesome things people want to pay money for?

Just a thought.

You do all know that Sony produces and has produced lots of tech that you all use every day, right? Right?

There's this weird fairytale view that they just make TVs or something...

Well, at least the past tense part of that was correct. Sony's R&D impact has been waning for years.

I must say I liked a bunch of their products but they have done just so much to try to fail.

I never had a problem with any of their products, until every single one broke :p I think the only Sony product I ever bought that wasn't dead within 2 years was my Playstation1.

Sony has been plagued by poor business decisions and attempts to control their markets with horrible proprietary formats that tend to not take off unless they team up with other companies to do it. That and their products tend to be more expensive than their competition (primarily Samsung and LG).

The massive battery failures back in 2006(?) certainly didn't help their bottom line. I believe it was Dell who had to recall roughly 4 million of them. That's a chunk of change right there.

It appears charging 50% more than the equivalent Samsung product is a not a solid business strategy.

Back