sharp 32" 4k monitor - who else is planning on getting it?

zurv

Limp Gawd
UPDATE:
It looks like NVidia is going to add support for this monitor (2 screen span).... Huzzah!
Support for the sharp monitor was added in driver 326.41
4K Displays
Adds support for additional tiled 4K displays
Extended support for tiled 4K features

abouttime2.jpg

abouttime1.jpg

UPDATE:

Do not get this monitor if you are going to use it for gaming - unless NVidia gets in the game and fixes their drivers.
It will do 4k but only @ 30hz. with a single input. (It can still do 60hz)
To get 60hz at 4k you need to treat the monitor as 2 screens (right and left sides)
you will need power cards to run games at 4k.
Nvidia has the power and SLI - but is super fail when it comes to 2 screen support on their GeForce line. no spanning no surround.
ATI/AMD has eyefinity which will work with 2 screens (will treat it as one screen) - but crossfires SUCKS with more than 2 video cards, (most likely lieing about perf (re: runt frames))

me? i'm just going to suck it up till I get another monitor. games at 4k are amazing! 30hz sucks, but I *think* I can live with it for a bit. I looking in to a mod that will change my titans into NVidia's pro line. Then I will be able to use nview and mosaic - which will let me treat the 2 screens as on.

if u wanna see the downside of 30hz (no, it doesn't mean 30fps - unless u turn on vsync)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRUVN14hj20
poor video from my phone with my doing normal internet video mumble.

sharp4kinput.PNG

4kmts2.png

4kmts1.png

---------------------------------------------------------------
OLD POST:

I had saved money to get a new TV this year (oled or 4k) - but oled is to small still and 4k TVs are $$$$$$$.

So time to replace my Lacie 730 (led black lit 30" 2560x1600)

the Sharp PN-K321 seems pretty sexy and will be out next month in the US (hopefully)

anyone else planning on getting it? I'll be using it for work (don't really need it for work) but GAMES should rock :)

press release from nov ( http://sharp-world.com/corporate/news/121128.html ) (there are specs in there)

should I be worried about anything there? clearly i'll use display port over hdmi (30fps would suck).
edge lit LED scares me a bit.. (I quickly replaced a LED TV for plasma because of "flash lighting") - but 64" tv is different than 32" monitor. IGZO is pretty good tech too.

I wonder what is needed to drive gaming at that rez :) clearly one can cut back on the AA and AF at that rez.
i'm using tri-fire 7970s now which should be fine... and the 8000s are almost here. But i'm kinda sick of shitty ati drivers. I just replaced two 7970s from my HTPC to 680 because of audio issues/driver issues.

kinda pissed last year when I got 5 of the 7970s just to have NVidia ninja the 680 a month or two later :p

also, LG has a 30" 4k2k coming too.. but i'm not sure the cost/timeframe/etc...

thoughts? ideas? yes it cost a lot...

Last edited:
I wonder what is needed to drive gaming at that rez :) clearly one can cut back on the AA and AF at that rez.

I think you're a little bit mistaken. One absolutely CANNOT cut back on AF at that rez.

why? the screen size is about the same just the detail is much finer. it is very much same affect is AA. You don't think the finer detail on the same pallet would make up for it. That said, AF isn't very costly (like AA).

I like my 1440 display a lot and I would like something higher resolution, but a 4k panel would crush my fps with 2 680s. I can't stand having less than 60 fps and no microstutter.

Could forgo AA with some games and use FXAA as I don't mind the blur too much.

Between the price of the panel and new graphics cards, no, I wouldn't get one just yet.

and? I wasn't saying the AF is like AA.. but the impact of very high rez on "small" area make it not as useful. what in that link changes that?
and it is minor as the cost is low.

the pain in the ass about this screen is I have DVI and HDMI run thru the walls to my desk (the computer is down the hall.. now I have to run display port).

I like my 1440 display a lot and I would like something higher resolution, but a 4k panel would crush my fps with 2 680s. I can't stand having less than 60 fps and no microstutter.

Could forgo AA with some games and use FXAA as I don't mind the blur too much.

Between the price of the panel and new graphics cards, no, I wouldn't get one just yet.

I was thinking maybe a quad video setup? but i'm not wow'd by my tri-crossfire now. Nvidia seems to do better when adding more video cards.

playing bioshock: Infinite would be amazing at 4k

60hz, and what panel type? VA for blacklevels and detail in blacks? (would be most useful type outside of plasma for 4k movie watching). ips for color uniformity? (has poor pixel response times)
This would be great for sitting up close to 4k def movies, or for gorgeous still imagery and desktop app real-estate, but for games it would be lousy imo. I'm not sure if you meant console games or pc games though. Console games are pretty limited and clunky already imo so it might not be as critical if you are happy with those to start with.
The 4k, "retina" , and QFHD (quad-full-hd 3840x2160) type displays are welcomed advances. Anything much over $1200 - $2k is still way too high for my taste though, especially with korean 2560x1440 's around for $350 which still look beautiful on stills/desktop use.
For gaming, everything I've seen of these higher rez displays is 60hz input in the back and high response times, so won't have the increased "smoothness" from increased motion tracking of higher (120hz/120hz+) hz combined with very high fps. They also will be twice as blurry as a 120hz input gaming display during FoV movement(the entire scene blurs) and object movement (the objects blur across the still-standing player's viewpoint). For those following the 1ms lightboost2 backlight strobing threads, there is a 1080p lcd monitor capable of crt motion clarity (i.e. no blurring/smearing of the original high detail objects, textures, depth via bump mapping and other shaders during movement). So, while I would love a very high resolution display for desktop stuff, it is in the opposite direction of anything I would be interested in for gaming. By opposite direction I mean this:
we have 60hz motion blurr-mess, 120hz with increased motion tracking/more recent action per hz and around 1/2 as much blur, and finally something new, a 120hz + 1ms lightboost2 backlight strobing lcd with essentially zero blur. (The only other thing with essentially zero blur like that is a fw900 crt with its own considerable tradeoffs).
I saw an ipad3 over the holidays. My sister brought one to my parents. It did look beautiful at 264ppi. (2048-by-1536 at 9.7") By comparison, my droid x2 phone is around 256ppi. In its small form factor (4.3") it really demands high ppi though. Perceived ppi (as well as perceived screen size) is of course relative to viewing distance.

Btw if you are looking for a good display-port extension cable, you might want to check these out:
http://estore.circuitassembly.com/products/Long-Haul-24-AWG-Mini-Displayport-Extension-Cable-25-foot-35-foot-50-foot.html

from other eager on 4k type thread
Since you mentioned 4k movies.. for movies, unless some new display tech is included in these, VA panel would be the best thing outside of plasma for black levels and detail in blacks which IPS and TN are much inferior to.. VA typically are another set of bad tradeoffs in regard to gaming though: trailing/ghosting, view angle shift, and usually bad input lag in most models(with a few rare exceptions lag wise).
Lack of 120hz input combined with poor pixel response times (more than 1ms - 5ms.. and likely a lack of aggressive response time compensation), no lightboost2 backlight strobing or equivalent backlight scanning tech, most likely a VA panel (at least I'd hope so if you want any decent blacklevels and detail-in-blacks in movies) with its corresponding tradeoffs. If any motion interpolation tech is included, that usually adds a lot of input lag too and can't always be turned off completely even in "game modes" if even available. Having a scaler also introduces added input lag.
I can't find enough details on these so most of this is assumptions other than the hz. Let me know if you find more info.
For 4k movie watching , I'd consider a 4k panel in a few years when prices dip a little. I think all of the higher rez display types are inferior for gaming though from what I've seen, especially for pc gaming.

and? I wasn't saying the AF is like AA.. but the impact of very high rez on "small" area make it not as useful. what in that link changes that?
and it is minor as the cost is low.

AF has nothing to do with resolution. Blurry is still blurry.

Even AA will still be useful at that high of a res, although you wont need to be cranking it up as high.

clearly because this is monitor (vs a TV) it internal scaler might not be the best.
we always want to display at native rez of the monitor.

What is the cost (to the video card) for scaling? clearly it will be less that running @ 4k.

my guess is till I go quad sli/crossfire withthe next gen cards, I might have to run at a lower res in games.

(of course that is just what filiprino said :) )

oh god.. tessellation @ 4k is going to need crazy gpu :)

Likely too expensive for me.

4k is very nice for gaming. I have been gaming off a 4k monitors since 2006. The image quality is awesome.

Performance really depends a lot on the game and graphics card setup.

If I could get one on the cheap for like 2k or less I would seriously consider it.

For some reason, the idea of playing SWAT 4 at this resolution sounds incredibly appealing to me. I imagine most current gen games would hammer my computer at that resolution.

I had saved money to get a new TV this year (oled or 4k) - but oled is to small still and 4k TVs are $$$$$$$.

So time to replace my Lacie 730 (led black lit 30" 2560x1600)

i'm using tri-fire 7970s now which should be fine... and the 8000s are almost here. But i'm kinda sick of shitty ati drivers. I just replaced two 7970s from my HTPC to 680 because of audio issues/driver issues.

kinda pissed last year when I got 5 of the 7970s just to have NVidia ninja the 680 a month or two later :p

also, LG has a 30" 4k2k coming too.. but i'm not sure the cost/timeframe/etc...

thoughts? ideas? yes it cost a lot...

Would you mind posting pictures of your lacie 730?:eek:
You use it for what?

And your SLI 680 HTPC? Is it quiet? does it play blurays without skipping frames?:rolleyes:

pooo.. I can't upload pix here...

as you can guess by my other hardware... games! :) (and work)

no problems with skipping frames using sli or the 7970 crossfire I had before it. The only big issue I had was freak'n amd/ati non-stop up and down clocking which would freak out the A/V receiver with audio dropping out when it happened. I couldn't take it anymore and replace to with the 680s - zero problems.

in gaming the SLI 680 can get loud, but not while watching TV. the evga 680 classified has a custom cooler - i'm not sure if it is louder or softer than other cards.

are others have problems with frames dropping? i'd guess it doesn't even use the second card for video play back.

I'm looking at purchasing a Sharp PN-K321 in Japan, since I'm stationed in Okinawa. I would need a step-down transformer for on base and in the states but I would be able to get the monitor for 373,200 yen which is short of 4000 dollars. Pretty good deal considering it's supposed to go for 5500 USD when it gets to the states. Would give me room to buy a nice graphics card too.. say a GTX Titan? I wonder if that card is even good enough for it.
But having that transformer on 24/7 would be a power drain..
Still, amazing deal..
Link when searching under Google Japan: http://online.plathome.co.jp/item/detail/41706393/SHARP/32v%25E5%259E%258B-4K2K%25E6%25B6%25B2%25E6%2599%25B6%25E3%2583%2587%25E3%2582%25A3%25E3%2582%25B9%25E3%2583%2597%25E3%2583%25AC%25E3%2582%25A4-PN-K321/PN-K321&sa=X&ei=r11AUY-aCuq5ygH61oCYAQ&ved=0CA8QqxI&usg=AFQjCNGzZmbMiEeQ7DbTF6RK-_RcTA-I9A

Last edited:
Ya the price isn't bad at all for being the first real consumer 4k monitor. Do they actually have it in stock? As for the transformer, just put it on a surge strip with a power toggle if you don't want it running all the time.

Looks like it's not going to take a lot of time for it to become affordable in a 2k price tag.

I would like to pick one up in a heart beat if they price fall below 2k.

Ya the price isn't bad at all for being the first real consumer 4k monitor. Do they actually have it in stock? As for the transformer, just put it on a surge strip with a power toggle if you don't want it running all the time.

According to the page (after being translated in Chrome) you can buy 2,3+ for additional discounts. No grayed-out button and you can add it to card. I'm gonna start saving up money and if it doesn't show up stateside before I have my PCS to the states I'll scoop one up and TMO it.
(PCS=Permanent Change of Station) (TMO=Travel Management Office. DOD organization which ships all your stuff for free)

Good idea. I use the same thing on my Klipsch 2.1 speakers with a toggle button.

Looks like it's not going to take a lot of time for it to become affordable in a 2k price tag.

I'd say about a whole year, because there should be enough demand to pay in the $5000 range. Unless Vizio and Westinghouse work some magic.

Did anyone find some information on the displays gamut and 10bit capability?
(sharp support isn't very responsive on technical issues, even the Japanese one)

It'd be a bit odd to sell it as a tool for graphic professionals/print if it was only sRGB.

No info here from me.

Good thing sharp has yet to go bankrupt and they can come up with such a thing. Although maybe if they had gone bankrupt and sold their ip samsung or lg maybe would have gotten this faster to the market at a better price point.

I wonder how long until apple picks it up for it's cinema displays, they are heavily into sharp via foxconn, and the rumored atv set is one of the reasons... A year then? They could price this one around 2k and keep the 27 incher too. I can't wait for this panel to get to a manageable price point...

I was planning on getting one of these monitors until I discovered 2D Lightboost multi-monitor. Although I am sure a single 4K screen looks amazing, I just couldn't go back to only 60 Hz and motion blur for gaming.

I emailed Sharp today about when the monitor would be in the US:

Thank you for your inquiry.

The pnk321 will be available mid April.

It is currently sku'd up at the following distributors:

Name Phone Website
Almo Professional AV 1-888-420-2566 www.almoproav.com

IAVI 1-888-999-6564 www.iavi.com

Ingram Micro Inc. 1-800-445-5066 www.ingrammicro.com

Stampede Presentation Products, Inc. 1-800-398-5652 www.stampede-usa.com

SYNNEX Corporation 1-800-756-9888 www.Synnex.com

Tech Data Corporation 1-800-237-8931 www.techdata.com

MSRP: $7,195

B&H has a direct relationship with Sharp as well. They can price quote for you.

that is MUCH more than it is in Japan. (and more than I was going to pay)

I might just import it - on amazon jp it looks like it is a little over $4,000 ( http://www.amazon.co.jp/シャープ-32v型-4...SC8M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363903529&sr=8-1 )

edit:
looking for the sites the price is lower than what sharp told me (about $6000... http://www.almoproav.com/products/Details.aspx?pid=PN-K321&m=SHPPRO ) and they distros.. which, if they sell to end users, normally cost more than a normal store..
my guess is it will be around the $5,500 that I was planning on spending.

Last edited:
Honestly, even if prices dropped 50% next year, and 50% the year after (which I cannot imagine will happen, but still), that's still an expensive monitor.

I hope they start focusing on something a bit more pedestrian, like maybe a 1440p monitor in a 24" size? Yes, not Retina or 4K, but a major improvement.

Will wait for a version with a proper backlight, and hopefully at a sub-3000 price point. Otherwise looks exciting, hope other manufacturers follow suit.

I have some cash burning a hole in my wallet, and I would LOVE more resolution, so this is very tempting for me, but if the input lag isn't improved from my U2011 I don't think this will be in the cards for me. Heh, I wonder when we'll see a 4k with lightboost? Pretty sure if a 1440p or better monitor came out with LB or something similarly dropping the response/input lag for anything under $2500 I'd instantly pull the trigger. Craving the CRT response, but I can't bring myself to drop back down to 1080p.

I will jump on this assuming it doesn't have bad input lag (probably doesn't have a scaler so probably no input lag) once its under 3k as well.

For now I will have to live with my 22.2 inch 3840x2400 display.

Back