Thieves Break Into Microsoft, Steal iPads

HardOCP News

[H] News
The stupid criminal story of the day is brought to you by the iPad. No Microsoft products were harmed in the making of this story. :D

The thieves made away with five iPads worth more than $3,000 (£1,865) from Microsoft's research and development centre in Mountain View, California, over Christmas. Microsoft's flagship collection of smartphones and tablet computers remained untouched in the raid, according to Mountain View police.

Wow, that's really telling about what people think about Microsoft products.

How bad is it when people won't even take your stuff for free :eek:

I had a quite chuckle , calling this a stupid criminals story made me , maybe not ;) More of the sentiments that Dark Shade and Kbrickley posted :) .

Maybe most stupid pr stunt by MS in a good while :) Wasn't it Gates who was so troubled that employees were not using Zune and got disgusted by the amount of ipods that he fined everyone coming in with an Ipod?

Wow, that's really telling about what people think about Microsoft products.

This reminds me of a story about some thieves breaking into a guys apartment and stealing all of his Xbox stuff... EXCEPT for the Kinect, which they apparently refused to even touch.

I had a quite chuckle , calling this a stupid criminals story made me , maybe not ;) More of the sentiments that Dark Shade and Kbrickley posted :) .

Maybe most stupid pr stunt by MS in a good while :) Wasn't it Gates who was so troubled that employees were not using Zune and got disgusted by the amount of ipods that he fined everyone coming in with an Ipod?

Read not long ago that even Gates kids wanted iPads for Christmas... :D

All it proves is that people that don't use apple hardware are intelligent and won't purchase stolen items; and people that use apple products are ignorant and will buy and pay anything for junk.

But but but Windows RT and Surface PRO OMG.

How come Heatless is not in here ranting and raving about this?

Probably for resale value. The value of Apple products, even old ones, is completely ridiculous. I see iPad 2's going for $300 STILL like its nothing! Not to mention the price of all their other products as apparently 1st and 2nd generation iPod Touch's are still worth $100+...somehow...

People buy for the name though. Look at me! I have a 3 year old Apple product that I got half off of the original price! WHAT A GREAT VALUE!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Makes me like Android all the more though...look at the Onda V972 Android tablet. 9.7 inch 2048x1536 IPS display, quad core CPU, 2GB RAM, SGX544MP2 GPU, 16GB storage, aluminum casing, Jelly Bean, etc...for $240. $240!!! Can you even buy a first gen iPad for that much?!

Ugh...sorry for the rant...it just boggles my mind how bad the Apple sheeple are...

Probably for resale value. The value of Apple products, even old ones, is completely ridiculous. I see iPad 2's going for $300 STILL like its nothing! Not to mention the price of all their other products as apparently 1st and 2nd generation iPod Touch's are still worth $100+...somehow...

People buy for the name though. Look at me! I have a 3 year old Apple product that I got half off of the original price! WHAT A GREAT VALUE!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Makes me like Android all the more though...look at the Onda V972 Android tablet. 9.7 inch 2048x1536 IPS display, quad core CPU, 2GB RAM, SGX544MP2 GPU, 16GB storage, aluminum casing, Jelly Bean, etc...for $240. $240!!! Can you even buy a first gen iPad for that much?!

Ugh...sorry for the rant...it just boggles my mind how bad the Apple sheeple are...

It depends on how you look at it. For people that like to stay at the bleeding edge of tech (the vast majority of this forum), Apple products are probably the best value you can find. Get a laptop... use it for 3 years, sell it for 9/10ths it's original price and buy another new one.... repeat.

I've been doing this since I got my first iPhone and they've pretty much paid for all my upgrades :D

Wait, wait wait wait.

What is Microsoft's R&D team doing with iPads....? That's what I'm interested in...

Wait, wait wait wait.

What is Microsoft's R&D team doing with iPads....? That's what I'm interested in...

probably finding out what Apple's doing. Pretty common practice in most industries.

Wait, wait wait wait.

Could be competitor analysis or they might be doing work for software development ... companies have competitors products all the time ;)

Wait, wait wait wait.

Says it was used for app development on apple products. Things like skydrive, skype, bing, and other website layouts.

probably finding out what Apple's doing. Pretty common practice in most industries.

Pretty much hit it right there. Every auto manufacturer has a warehouse loaded with tore down vehicles of their competitors. I used to peruse the tear down pictures with captions when I worked for one of them; loved how they would grade the various parts and whether it was worth pursuing their parts/construction/whatever for their own vehicles. Read a few nicely worded reviews that said that the competitor parts were junk and weren't worth the cost of tear down. :D

I don't know anybody here have read the original story before commenting. The place where the theft occurred is doing software development for Apple hardware. There was no forced entry. The ipads that were stolen are 2 ipad 2, 2 ipad 3 and 1 ipad 4. The story was also taken from the police which I assume was a good judge of technology LOL. This is the state of how netizens read their news.

More ignorance.

The Microsoft R&D shop in question is used for...

wait... for... it...

...building Microsoft-branded Mac and iOS apps (like SkyDrive, SmarGlass, etc.)

this whole thread gets 4x :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: for not reading and trolling

I know that facility. Did it not have guards there? This makes no sense.

It depends on how you look at it. For people that like to stay at the bleeding edge of tech (the vast majority of this forum), Apple products are probably the best value you can find. Get a laptop... use it for 3 years, sell it for 9/10ths it's original price and buy another new one.... repeat.

Except Apple is not really on the bleeding edge...

My preference is to stay a little behind the curve and buy after the prices come down. Overall it's cheaper than buying the over priced stuff. I then use it as long as possible, maybe do some upgrades/updates, and hand it down to other family members or sell it on ebay when it gets too slow or breaks.

I have a dual core laptop with an 11" screen I bought over 3 years ago for travel. Still works fine, and don't see a reason to replace it. I've upgraded the drive, and will likely upgrade the memory soem day. Should be good for another 3 years, as I only use it for movies, email and remote desktop for work.
Then there's the Android quad core 10" tablet I just bought for $300. The 32GB of flash is fine for now, but I can easily add another 32GB if I need it (or even more since sdxc card also work).

More ignorance.

The Microsoft R&D shop in question is used for...

wait... for... it...

...building Microsoft-branded Mac and iOS apps (like SkyDrive, SmarGlass, etc.)

this whole thread gets 4x :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: for not reading and trolling

wtf are you talkin about?

*Mac- Hi, I'm a Mac.
*PC- Hi, I'm PC.
*Mac- What's wrong PC, you look a little down?
*PC-.....I was burglarized...
*Mac- What did they take?
*PC- A few iPads
*Mac- ???

Really sad part is the zune like wmp is a great product. Apple was just better at selling them.

Really sad part is the zune like wmp is a great product. Apple was just better at selling them.

:rolleyes: It was more than that. The first iPod came out five years before the Zune. So MS was five years behind behind Apple.

Back on Topic: Funny story, best one of the year so far.

Except Apple is not really on the bleeding edge...

My preference is to stay a little behind the curve and buy after the prices come down. Overall it's cheaper than buying the over priced stuff. I then use it as long as possible, maybe do some upgrades/updates, and hand it down to other family members or sell it on ebay when it gets too slow or breaks.

I have a dual core laptop with an 11" screen I bought over 3 years ago for travel. Still works fine, and don't see a reason to replace it. I've upgraded the drive, and will likely upgrade the memory soem day. Should be good for another 3 years, as I only use it for movies, email and remote desktop for work.
Then there's the Android quad core 10" tablet I just bought for $300. The 32GB of flash is fine for now, but I can easily add another 32GB if I need it (or even more since sdxc card also work).

Just to let you know, it's actually cheaper to stay on the bleeding edge. Buy the best stuff now. Once something new comes out, pick that one up and sell the old one off for 95% the price of what you paid.

Overall, you'd end up spending $100-$200 a year to stay bleeding edge all the time. I use to do this back in the day, but I just don't see much need for it anymore. The minor increases in performance just doesn't justify the time spent performing the upgrade. Unless you just like benchmarking and showing off your e-penis.

Right now, I'm surviving nicely on my old ass desktop. My laptops have better procs than my desktop, but the desktop has the better vidcard.

Back