Silverstone SG10

mATX

It's exactly the same layout as the SG09.

Yes exactly yhe same internal layout, but the SG10 has a front that does not look like ass and round buttons :D

Equals aside, I love the SG09 but refuse to buy it because of the horrible front design.
I will buy the SG10 if the price is about the same as the SG09.

EDIT:
That PSU must starve for air if both the top and rear fans are exhaust.

In a SFF case, why waste the space for 5.25" bay when most people don't even use opticals anymore.

i use optical drives for back ups of data off my hard drive.

Jen

SithSolo asked why they are forcing us to use slimline opticals? My point is that most people, not you personally Jen :), but most people don't install it, so it's a waste to leave space for a full height optical when there are other options such as slimline or external.

There is an anecdote about exam from networking on some technical uni. The profesor gave his students only one question:
"Pointer dog carries a bag of 4 double sided DVDs over a distance of 100 m. Along that distance there is Ethernet cable 100BASE-TX connection between two computers. Which is going to deliver data faster over said distance and why we dont use pointer dogs?"
I might have screwed this up but I use optical drives also and besides this has just slim optical. the front looks clean now. Its tiny mesh in front so the PSU is ging to have air.

I wish they'd just get rid of any DVD drive slots because a large amount of people rarely use them anymore. If I ever need to use one I'd just get a USB DVD/Blu-Ray drive.

Nice case, very interesting distribution of components.

Why in gods name do they keep forcing slim slot-load drives?
Why you are "forced" (you don't have to buy the case, you know) to go for a slimline drive ?

1. because it takes up about 3 times less volume than a normal drive
2. most people are realizing optical discs are becoming obselete with flash storage, wireless and broadband
3. why even look at an SFF-case if you are not prepared to make the simplest of sacrifices ?

I recommend you switch to a more stable storage solution. Optical discs tend to become unreadable over time, especially with discs not made in Taiwan or Japan. You're better off with multiple copies on multiple internal hard drives or one copy on your internal hard drive and one on an external USB drive or network drive. And even that is not safe "enough" if a fire breaks out or your house gets the visit from burglars.

I'm planning on putting all my disks in a good NAS unit (with built-in backup) and have a second unit on the opposite side of the house, hidden, as an additional backup of the most important stuff.

I wish they'd just get rid of any DVD drive slots because a large amount of people rarely use them anymore. If I ever need to use one I'd just get a USB DVD/Blu-Ray drive.
Yeah I made that step when I purchased my mATX case and I've never looked back. I have needed it twice in the last year and it was because my boot disk stopped working twice. I didn't even have to have it, but I didn't have a USB stick with Windows 7 installer back then.

And here I am, waiting for an update to the SG05, seems there won't be one for a while. :(

Not bad for an update to the SG09 though (which I assume it is).

If you had actually bothered to read what I wrote, I don't mind having a slim drive. I do mind being forced to use a SLOT LOAD slim drive. One is easy to find, the other is not.

Because tray-loading drives look absolutely ugly. Still, nobody is forcing you.

If you had actually bothered to read what I wrote, I don't mind having a slim drive. I do mind being forced to use a SLOT LOAD slim drive. One is easy to find, the other is not.

No need to be cranky. You wrote "slim slot-load drive" with no emphasis on the slot load, and no mention that you don't mind slim drives per se.

Because tray-loading drives look absolutely ugly. Still, nobody is forcing you.

True, they haven't kidnapped my dog and said "use a slot-load or the dog gets it." However they have taken away a perfectly viable option for the average user. Sure slot-load drives are more sleek but they are also much harder to find and usually more expensive. I'd happily move my system to an Sg09 or Sg10 but not having the option for a standard slim is a deal breaker for me.

I don't think SFFs are generally marketed towards the average user. Especially ones like the SG9/10 that are pushing the limits of how small you can makes a SLI mATX rig be.

Funny enough, I would rather they had left the optical media bay out entirely; a USB drive that I pull out of the closet once every several years would suit me just fine. :)

SS should re-release the SG09 with a regular slim ODD bay. At this point, just about everyone that cares enough about looks to deal with a slot-loading slim drive will choose the SG10.

It look's like Captain Obvious made a visit to Silverstone designers!

There's no sense in having the SG09 and the SG10 in the market at the same time. No one will buy the SG09.

I think external dvd-rw drives are a good alternative to sff systems, like the Fractal Node 304.

runs2far:
The top fan is an intake fan. This way, the only exhaust fans are the rear fan and the psu fan.

EDIT: They should make an upgrade kit for the SG09, with the front of SG10.

Last edited:
I think external dvd-rw drives are a good alternative to sff systems, like the Fractal Node 304

Agreed. I dare say that a lot of users would rarely use a DVD drive these days. Easy enough to spend $20-30 and get an external drive.

The SG10 is the better case, no matter what the small few thinks about optical drives.
This case makes mATX look like ITX. Winner.

OK, the first article gave the impression that all the fans were exhaust.

It actually has quite a clever system.

The AP181 on top is intake but the exhaust at the back is only 120mm, so the motherboard area has positive pressure and stops hot GPU air from rising up to the CPU cooler. So the GPUs is partitioned off by an air buffer.

The GPUs get their fresh air from the near-side fan(s). They are positioned exactly so that the top card on a crossfire setup gets good air too. This is all exhausted to two places: bottom back, and there's another exit at the front on the far-side. You can add a quiet 80mm fan to that front side vent to make sure the case is pulling hot air away from the GPUs.

As long as the flow rate and pressure of the air inside the case is optimal, this will be a very good setup. But it can stand and fall with one fan being mismatched. I hope SilverStone and reviewers will take this into account before they decide to ruin this concept.

I hope SilverStone and reviewers will take this into account before they decide to ruin this concept.

Already seen one review where the guy didn't read the manual and tried using the AP181 as exhaust. Which of course meant that the GPU air was being pulled up across the CPU heatsink. He justified it by showing that he got better GPU temps but he could have had even better temps on both CPU and GPU by adding the 80mm fan. When I emailed him to explain the design, he said "if it's truly beneficial to have an 80mm fan on the right side, they should have included one". Which is a fair point I suppose.

I understand the guy's point of view but this is SFF, we shouldn't forget that a lot of problems a normal computer has, are exponentially multiplied the smaller you go. Placement and direction of a fan is crucial. But for me this seems like a fun challenge, I'm keeping this case in mind for my next build.

And here I am, waiting for an update to the SG05, seems there won't be one for a while. :(

They updated it last year with USB 3.0.

Haha, Raptor X. Wonder how noisy it is, or if they're that confident of the grommets they used.

This case makes mATX look like ITX. Winner.

That's because the popular ITX cases (Prodigy, endless Q08 variants) are HUGE.

I personally would rather sacrifice highest end performance for smaller sizes. Besides losing the ODD, I would like to see fewer SFF cases accommodate full sized ATX PSUs. The better quality 450W SFX PSUs can already handle a quad core and a single high end GPU along with some overclocking.

They updated it last year with USB 3.0.
I personally would rather sacrifice highest end performance for smaller sizes. Besides losing the ODD, I would like to see fewer SFF cases accommodate full sized ATX PSUs. The better quality 450W SFX PSUs can already handle a quad core and a single high end GPU along with some overclocking.
This.

Even a 500W Shuttle-PSU-sized brick would be a step forward:
http://www.shuttle.eu/products/xpc-accessories/pc63j/

Luckily, thanks to the rising interest in minimizing power consumption for CPU's, even a 300W PSU could power a highend system, but the graphics card industry doesn't follow this ambition.

Is there any word on the dimensions of this case? Can we assume it's basically the same as the SG09?

edit: nevermind, i see them in the techreport article

They can handle'em just fine, but there are very few SFX PSUs on the market right now. Only 2 good ones that I know of, and they're made by Silverstone. The gold version I've heard has problems with the fan, and the bronze one isn't modular (though I heard that doesn't matter much since you'll be using all the cables anyway) but it's still bronze when there's platinum PSUs coming out already.

If Seasonic or someone else came out with a platinum, fanless SFX PSU it would be perfect.

If Seasonic or someone else came out with a platinum, fanless SFX PSU it would be perfect.

Chicken/egg. Most SFF cases still use ATX so they probably don't see the need.

So, is this case recommended for gpu's that don't take the air out of the case by themselves? I've got 2 x GTX460 that are non-reference, and thus If this would work properly I think the case is perfect for my needs.

I just have to see how good the new FT04 is before jumping on anything, but a small case would deffinitely be a good thing.

Is this internally the same as the SG09? If it is, I think this thread should be merged with the SG09, as information for one would apply to the others if, internally, they are the same.

PS: and I wonder why the heck did they have to release the "ugly" version first. Sometimes it makes me wonder what kind of testers do both Silverstone and Lian Li have, when all the problems you see are as easy to spot them as trying to mount a system in them, let alone look at the case itself :rolleyes:

So, is this case recommended for gpu's that don't take the air out of the case by themselves? I've got 2 x GTX460 that are non-reference, and thus If this would work properly I think the case is perfect for my needs.

If you have dual GPUs with open shroud, then the (SG09) manual recommends buying an 80mm fan for the bottom front right fan to help direct the air. Without that fan, the GPU heat will rise into the CPU compartment. It fits up to 38mm fans, so get something quiet with a lot of airflow.

SG09-34View-02.jpg

Back