Windows 8 Sales Hit 60M Since Launch

HardOCP News

[H] News
Sixty million? Damn, that means Microsoft has sold an average of six million Windows 8 licenses per week since October? That sure is a lot of licenses for being a "flop."

Microsoft Corp has sold 60 million licenses and upgrades for its new Windows 8 operating system in the 10 weeks since its launch, one of the top executives of the company's Windows unit said at the Consumer Electronics Show on Tuesday. Windows 8 sales are growing in line with those of Windows 7, Microsoft's last operating system, launched in 2009, said Tami Reller, chief financial officer of the Windows division, in a presentation to analysts and investors at the annual tech show in Las Vegas.

at $15 a pop..no kidding. Since they sold it so cheap I am more interested in gross margin vs win 7 in the same span of time as volume is rather irrelevant.

59.5 million were probably from prebuilts that people purchase where the OS came preinstalled

Seems like the usual number to me.

Theres 2 parties anouncin numbers. One say they are shitty, one doesn't... One must be lying...

Theres 2 parties anouncin numbers. One say they are shitty, one doesn't... One must be lying...

These include OEM machines. Those PCs that haven't yet sold collecting dust are also a part of that 60 million number.

That's insane. So much for people not liking it. Guess what the future holds now? More metroness!

Guess it's only us technical people who don't like it. Ex: people who actually use computers for more than just facebook. The general flocks just follow what looks cool and has the most bling, and don't really care of functionality.

These include OEM machines. Those PCs that haven't yet sold collecting dust are also a part of that 60 million number.

Wait, really? So this is not retail copies only, like people walking into a store and buying it? If it counts OEM then the number is kinda irrelevant.

That's insane. So much for people not liking it. Guess what the future holds now? More metroness!

Guess it's only us technical people who don't like it. Ex: people who actually use computers for more than just facebook. The general flocks just follow what looks cool and has the most bling, and don't really care of functionality.

As far as a solid OS, us "technical" people like it. On a non touch panel system, yeah - the metro interface doesn't make sense. Under the hood, it's a great OS. Faster, leaner, and as new as it is, it's stable.

Wait, really? So this is not retail copies only, like people walking into a store and buying it? If it counts OEM then the number is kinda irrelevant.

Same way they counted Windows 7 and Vista, etc... people didn't discredit it then so why start now?

Of course it includes OEM machines. OEMs are one of Microsoft's biggest customers. Why wouldn't Microsoft include those numbers? They are, after all, sales.

If the OEM machines are collecting dust then you have to wonder why the OEMs would keep on buying Windows 8 licenses. The fact that Microsoft continues to sell Windows 8 licenses indicates that perhaps the OEM machines aren't actually collecting dust but are in fact selling.

Microsoft has always reported sales of Windows in this manner. This allows Microsoft and us to compare various versions of Windows to one another. Microsoft said that Windows 8 sales are roughly in line with those of Windows 7. If Microsoft is lying about this then they are leaving themselves open to potential criminal charges and lawsuits from investors, so I'm sure they've got the internal numbers to back up this claim.

In other words people are buying prebuilt systems as they would anyways, but since Windows 8 is the new OEM OS they can make the claim that it's doing 'good'. :rolleyes:

Yeah well since microsoft only sells 8 SKU and no 7 this number is stupid. Its like saying I sold Million black cars, you ask the car maker what colors you offer and they say black and not other color.

Its a PR Stat manipulation technique, in reality 99% of my customers HATE 8.

Its a PR Stat manipulation technique, in reality 99% of my customers HATE 8.

Don't exaggerate. Only 80% hate Win8. :D

Here are sales stats for an PC Build shop that gives users a choice of OS:

PugetSystems_Win7vsWin8_thumb.png

i for one like windows 8 ... but everyone has there own opinion. Took a few days to get used to but now i like it more then windows 7.

Microsoft has always reported sales of Windows in this manner. This allows Microsoft and us to compare various versions of Windows to one another. Microsoft said that Windows 8 sales are roughly in line with those of Windows 7. If Microsoft is lying about this then they are leaving themselves open to potential criminal charges and lawsuits from investors, so I'm sure they've got the internal numbers to back up this claim.

Welcome to the discussion, heatless alt!

And, no, you're pulling this out of context. Consider that MS is now calling winRT also Win8 and selling Win8 for tablet devices as well. This means that Win8 sales include laptop + desktop + tablet + whatever else they've got a'brewin'. If you look at actual devices sold - which is to say hardware and machines moved - the numbers are actually down significantly since last year

Windows 8 PC sales aren't trending well, according to a new report. And consumers' addiction to low cost may be a factor.
A blurb on Friday from the NPD Group said Windows 8 holiday sales continue to not impress.
"The launch of Windows 8...did little to boost holiday sales or improve the yearlong Windows notebook sales decline," NPD said.
More specifically, Windows laptop "holiday unit sales" were down 11 percent year-to-year, the market researcher said.
Want more deets? The average selling price of a Windows laptop rose a hair -- $2 to $420, according to NPD.

Maybe a bigger part of the Windows sales problem is that the mix of systems has changed compared with the glory days of Windows 7.
That is, Windows 7 was accompanied by a crush of ultracheap netbooks, according to an analysis at the Supersite for Windows -- which had some harsh words for netbooks.
"Many of those 20 million Windows 7 licenses each month -- too many, I think -- went to machines that are basically throwaway, plastic crap. Netbooks didn't just rejuvenate the market just as Windows 7 appeared, they also destroyed it from within," Paul Thurrott wrote.
"Now consumers expect to pay next to nothing for a Windows PC. Most of them simply refuse to pay for more expensive Windows PCs."
And, by the way, shipments of systems powered by Intel's power-efficient-yet-lower-performance Atom chip -- the same class of processors used in netbooks -- are barely a trickle at this point. And to make matters worse, some, like the $849 HP Envy x2, are priced way above the $399 netbooks of holiday seasons past.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-5...ales-sink-but-thats-just-part-of-the-problem/

Over two quarters since its introduction, Win8 has seen a -21% decrease over last year's numbers in Q3 and now a -11% decrease in holiday sales.

Lots of licenses sold? Yes. Unfortunately those licenses look like they're sitting around idle.

And, no, you're pulling this out of context. Consider that MS is now calling winRT also Win8 and selling Win8 for tablet devices as well. This means that Win8 sales include laptop + desktop + tablet + whatever else they've got a'brewin'. If you look at actual devices sold - which is to say hardware and machines moved - the numbers are actually down significantly since last year

No, this number has nothing to do with Windows RT or Surface RT.

No, this number has nothing to do with Windows RT or Surface RT.

Whatever. Steve Ballmer stocked up on about a few million licenses for himself to give away as stocking stuffers for Christmas. The point is sales are down, not up. There's a good reason why MS is only talking about the licenses sold and not the devices and hardware. OEMs are speaking out that sales have been poor yet MS is saying that everything's dandy.

Mmmmmhhmmmm....

They get to make up any number they feel like to make it look good.

I think investors and the SEC would have problem with this. If anyone has proof that Microsoft is cooking the books, it needs to be reported. That's a VERY serious crime, material misinformation. People lose their livelihoods over that kinds of stuff, that's why it's a crime.

They are not lying the problem is they are not telling the truth either. If they asked Microsoft how many were actual activations that would be a different story. Heck how about the metrics of their Update servers for windows 8 or even the MS store.
This is the twat that will say anything he is in marketing not inovation.
developers_developers_developers.jpg

They are not lying the problem is they are not telling the truth either. If they asked Microsoft how many were actual activations that would be a different story.

But the activation isn't the transaction where the money is made, it's made on the sales of licenses and it's always been counted this way.

lies and more LIES!!!!!!!! I'm done with Microsoft and their head Steve Ballmer

sent from Windows 8 :rolleyes:

In other words people are buying prebuilt systems as they would anyways, but since Windows 8 is the new OEM OS they can make the claim that it's doing 'good'. :rolleyes:
So in other words, if Windows 8 sells poorly it's because it's a "failure," but if Windows 8 sells well then it's because Microsoft is exploiting its market position.

Sort of a "heads I win, tails you lose," standard you have there.

I'm responsible for 4 OEM copies, two tablets with 8/8Pro and one RT tablet. So I'm responsible for a total of 7 licenses... It's fabulous on my HTPC. My two primary desktops use Start8 for convenience.

Sixty million? Damn, that means Microsoft has sold an average of six million Windows 8 licenses per week since October? That sure is a lot of licenses for being a "flop."

Strange. I'm unable to find any kind of retail verification for these figures. Not when the known figures as a of a week ago placed Windows 8 license sales at only 1/5 of Windows 7.

What is possible is that Microsoft is counting bulk sales to OEM's of units that have already shipped from manufacturing. While published sales numbers normally track license sales actually made at retail, counting those licenses that are on pre-activated OEM computers is a common trick of Microsoft.

5 times during the course of the original Xbox lifetime Microsoft had to restate the yearly sales of the console to the US Internal Revenue Service and Federal Trade Commission preciously because Microsoft included units sold to vendors like WalMart ant Target in the total sales amounts, even though those counted units were sitting completely unsold in WalMart and Target warehouses. Microsoft also has done this 3 times to date that I am aware of with the Xbox 360 console.

So the precedent is set for Microsoft to count products currently in channel as final sales. Given that precedent, and given the known actual sales numbers on Surface devices and Windows 8 enabled systems, the flat out lying yet again scenario seems to be in play.

Welcome to the discussion, heatless alt!

Haha! I just looked at Eman D. Rahym's post history and yeah, it's pretty obvious that this is the exact same person as heatlessspam hiding behind a different name. I recall a few threads in which this particular name came to heatless' defense and was like, "Oh, there's another nutcase with the same issues," but it's nice to know that:

heatlesssun and Eman D. Rahym are the same person and post history totally proves it!

one of these days I'll spell precisely correctly on the first usage.

Haha! I just looked at Eman D. Rahym's post history and yeah, it's pretty obvious that this is the exact same person as heatlessspam hiding behind a different name. I recall a few threads in which this particular name came to heatless' defense and was like, "Oh, there's another nutcase with the same issues," but it's nice to know that:

heatlesssun and Eman D. Rahym are the same person and post history totally proves it!
How much would you like to wager on that claim?

So in other words, if Windows 8 sells poorly it's because it's a "failure," but if Windows 8 sells well then it's because Microsoft is exploiting its market position.

Sort of a "heads I win, tails you lose," standard you have there.

If that's what you call the standard based in reality which involves bringing in everything around us and coming to conclusions based on that, then I guess? LOL

Oh no, you've discovered Microsoft's statistical secret!!! :eek:

Deja Vu. You know what other OS was the best sales record for licenses in the first few months? Vista:

http://www.newlaunches.com/archives...censes_in_100_days_the_fastest_in_history.php

I wonder if we will later find out they are counting Win7 sales as Vista licenses:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/145145/article.html

Well we know most people hate Windows 8, it has bad reviews, and the forums here generally dislike it, so when Microsoft comes out saying sales hit 60M we can simply dismiss it on grounds of it being, perhaps not inaccurate, but simply dishonest. People will be buying prebuilt computers regardless, so their sales do not at all reflect the general opinion on the OS itself.

Back