Researchers: Censoring Pirate Sites Doesn’t Work

HardOCP News

[H] News
Researchers have discovered people that pirate stuff are going to find a way to pirate stuff.

A new study released by researchers from Boston’s Northeastern University shows that censoring “pirate” sites by blocking or seizing their domains is ineffective. The researchers looked at the availability of various pirated media on file-hosting sites and found that uploaders post more new content than copyright holders can take down. A better solution, according to the researchers, is to block the money streams that flow to these sites.

Just like how you have to wash your eyes out when you see a hooker on the street corner, a bootlegger, or a homeless person. Maybe put some black tarps on those apple stores in china.

Next, they'll find grass is green and the sky is blue during the day. :D

Do they not realize, when things get pirated, it's not necessarily being "sold", just duplicated for free?

This isn't like the 90s where you travel to Asia to buy cheap bootlegged movies, music, or software.

How do you get labeled a "researcher"?

Like if I search youtube for 'ass' and then search for 'tits' and i determine that there are more results for 'ass' could I get a headline like "Researchers find ass more important than tits"?

Just being curious

A better solution would be to charge lower prices so it would not be worth the hassle to pirate content.

Like if I search youtube for 'ass' and then search for 'tits' and i determine that there are more results for 'ass' could I get a headline like "Researchers find ass more important than tits"?

Just being curious

As long as you're wearing a lab coat at the time...

Music and Movies industry are now making money online from itunes, to streaming and renting and digital copy, what you think started this whole idea, from pirating!! sometimes a bad thing can become a good thing.

Even in the 80's people would record cassette tape for music from other friends and or and on VHS for movies.

Music and Movies industry are now making money online from itunes, to streaming and renting and digital copy, what you think started this whole idea, from pirating!! sometimes a bad thing can become a good thing.

What is frustrating with Itunes music is the fact that for 3 bucks, I can buy a music cd from the 80's..But buying it on Itunes is 10 bucks.

Easier to buy it from amazon, then rip it to my itunes music folder. thewn I get the quality I want without the large price.

funny-celebrity-pictures-life-uhhhhhhhhhh-finds-a-way.jpg

What is frustrating with Itunes music is the fact that for 3 bucks, I can buy a music cd from the 80's..But buying it on Itunes is 10 bucks.

Easier to buy it from amazon, then rip it to my itunes music folder. thewn I get the quality I want without the large price.

PIRACY!!!!!!

Wasn't one of the stop online privacy bills, directed toward stoping income just like this research says to do?
Doesn't that mean we already knew this,and year ago? I wonder how much money can be saved but not doing pointless research.

Further more, when they got the ability to stop advertisement pay, didn't pirate sites just start using off shore accounts to handle the advertisement pay ?

Next, they'll find grass is green and the sky is blue during the day. :D

Hey, you're right they just keep making one shocking discovery after another:eek:

Just being curious

Yes you certainly can:D

Just being curious

FYI
youtube.com?ass -> 17,500,000 results
youtube.com?tits -> 392,000 results

It might vary depending on which server you hit, but still it's not even close.

Can i get a front-page article for this profound research i just conducted?:cool:

Attempting to fight piracy by shutting down piracy websites legally is missing the point entirely. You need to ask the question "how do these websites earn money, and how can we dry up their cash flow?" Go after those who buy ads on the pirate sites instead.

When you start studying that industry, you get some surprises. In USC's top ten list of ad networks that place the most ads on pirate sites, Google and Yahoo showed up.

I wish that HardOCP would figure that out and lift the, "No Piracy talk" rule.

The fact of the matter is that, people who are on the cutting edge of console piracy, talk about it on HardOCP but the moderators don't do anything because they don't know what people are talking about.

LOL :D

Just being curious

You get yourself funded by an institute which does research ;)

I actually have no problem with the funding of "research" like this. As long as the study is scientific and not just BS conjecture and extrapolation and the funding is proportional to the amount of effort it should have taken to do this research (which in this case is probably just some undergraduate kid's project, so would actually be little to no funding required).

The more "research" done and the more news articles on that research, the less the MPAA and publishers can use BS excuses for their anti piracy campaigns and get away with it.

Doesn't really matter, common sense does not apply to most US laws of governance (doesn't matter if Dem/Rep either, both are just as insane).

Prohibition, The Drug War... both very similar types of "prevention" one proven to not work and repealed, the later... again not working but we gotta make SURE it won't worth this time... again...

Removing access to stuff just does not work, you have to alter the demand (like cigarettes, no smoking ads took a long time but they are working) and shift it to something more preferable.

I am constantly amazed how short sighted people are and think... just ban it... that will take care of ALL our problems.

Back