NASA Plans To Give The Moon A Moon?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Yo dawg, I heard you liked moons so we are giving your moon a moon.

Researchers with the Keck Institute for Space Studies in California have confirmed that NASA is mulling over their plan to build a robotic spacecraft to grab a small asteroid and place it in high lunar orbit. The mission would cost about $2.6 billion – slightly more than NASA's Curiosity Mars rover – and could be completed by the 2020s.

National debt share per citizen, $52,136
National debt share per tax payer, $145,638

That only includes federal debt, it does not include each citizens share of their own state's debt.

Alabama, $58,905 per citizen
Alaska, $14,929
Arizona, 7590
Cali, 11,344
Colorado, 9,990
Connecticut, 12,100
Delaware, 8,261
Florida, 7,892
Georgia, 52,169
Hawaii, 9,865
Idaho, 4,041
Illinois, 11,285
Indiana, 7,688
Iowa, 5,355
Kansas, 10,277
Louisiana, 8,135
Maine, 7,527
Maryland, 7,569
Mass, 15,111
Michigan, 7,592
Minn, 8,959
Mississippi, 4,803
Missouri, 7,705
Montana, 6,018
Nebraska, 7,928
Nevada, 10,881
New Hampshire, 8,577
Jersey, 11,602
New Mexico, 8,080
New York 17,144
North Carolina, 5,566
North Dakota, 8,036
Ohio, 6,689
Oklahoma 5,102
Oregon, 9,258
Pennsylvania, 9,258
Rhode Island 11,992
South Carolina 8,496
South Dakota, 6,800
Tenn, 6,252
Texas, 10,655
Utah, 6,964
Vermont, 7,820
Virginia, 7,981
Washington, 11,243
West Virginia, 6,526
Wisconsin, 8,178
Wyoming, 5,317

Per citizen, not per taxpayer. Each taxpayer's share is much greater.

NASA's budget is a drop of piss in the ocean on the scale of the debt
and its one of the few with a good return
maybe cut some of the spending on DoJ which has a budget 10x that of NASA

You can pay for it then, my $145,638 share of the national debt and my nearly 10k share of my state's debt is quite enough, thank you.

Because spending money on space missions has no return, right?

That money tree the government had, it died. Too many people wanting the government to fill too many roles, each thinking their particular expense is justifiable.

Fuck that. All we are doing is cutting our children's throats.

It took eight replies to get a "That's no moon"?

Kudos to Steve for the Yo dawg line, very nice.

Now in the spirit of the rest of this thread, I'd rather see a couple billion invested on the future of humanity than watch it spent on hookers and blow in DC. Just don't miss orbit and launch the thing down our throats.

For all the great things the US has done and given to the world. And the enemies you survived both foreign and domestic since the first day you became a country. Its pretty fucken sad that you will be done in by corruption and debt!

I guess the saying "absolute power corrupts absolutely" couldn't be more true!

Wouldn't this cause the rotation of the earth to slow even more rapidly, what about the tidal patterns?

Wouldn't this cause the rotation of the earth to slow even more rapidly, what about the tidal patterns?

They aren't going to put something THAT big into orbit. What they are describing will have absolutely zero effect on the Moon or the Earth. Fact.

They aren't going to put something THAT big into orbit. What they are describing will have absolutely zero effect on the Moon or the Earth. Fact.

Then what's the purpose of this proposed mission? Spending 2+ billion we don't really have just because we can seems a little silly.

Then what's the purpose of this proposed mission? Spending 2+ billion we don't really have just because we can seems a little silly.

FOR+THE+LOVE+OF+SATAN+OF+COURSE+_ef45692e2c3c417a04e378ba163d355b.jpg

Yo dawg, I heard you liked moons so we are giving your moon
Only posting because I wanted to thank Steve for that comment. lmao, i needed that. Been a long damn day and I was feeling down. This made me giggle and brightened up my mood.

:)

NASA is just about the only thing our dumbshit government does that I support. I say we give the moons moon a moon! This is America damnit!

I have a plan! We'll hijack a large asteroid that's in high lunar orbit and hold the world hostage......unless they pay..... one-hundred billion dollars!

Yo dawg, I heard you liked moons so we are giving your moon a moon.

HAHAHHAA:D

You can pay for it then, my $145,638 share of the national debt and my nearly 10k share of my state's debt is quite enough, thank you.

You are one of those crazies. I read about them on the internet once.

Instead of crying about Science, how about you complain about something that has no returns like the "War on Drugs" or the TSA.
Write your Congressmen and Senators and tell them they don't need to keep giving themselves pay raises for the next term, or that they should actually read some of the legislation they pass that adds ridiculous amounts of debt for inefficient and poor results.

But OHH Boogyman NASA raising your debt!

I'd like NASA to supply me with a small, tropical island of my very own while they're at it. :p

Anyhow, that's really awesome! Skribbels everywhere think that putting stuff in orbit of other stuff has scientific value and is just neato-burrito!

1) Since when is the Keck Institute for Space Studies = NASA

2) They're a think tank, meaning they just think shit up just for the purpose of thinking shit up

3) Man it doesn't take much to get people diverted about the budget.

I understand scientific curiosity and research. NASA has given us all a great many things. But if this is all that I'm going to be told, then I guess I just don't see the point. Although one thing did strike me: "Mining". Mining the moon is not a good idea. The moon is not really all that big and something like this could change the way it interacts with the earth. When things like this are started, it's never done small.

I know that the price tag given isn't much by comparison, but this is also very low on the list of priorities. We really don't have money for things like this. By the time this is set to happen, the entire US economy could be in complete bankruptcy. On the other side of this same coin, this could easily be a tit-for-tat deal with China or some other country we owe money to. We have already given a big chunk of our space program to the Russians. Frankly, I'm amazed that Obama hasn't pulled the plug on NASA completely. $2Billion might not be much when looking at Trillions but it would go along way to give people all those things they thought they would get from Obama....like a free cellphone and free internet for every man, woman, and child. How much are they really doing with all that money we're paying (or about to pay) in taxes? That's MY money (I'm sorry.....MY hard work) too. It wasn't that long ago, everyone was sooooo upset about excessively priced hammers and toilet seats....and now?!?!?!

Americans spend more on pizza, every year, then NASA gets for a budget .... its criminal.

Sure....allow the government to take that same money away from those same Americans by force to give it to a government agency and watch as an industry is destroyed, jobs are lost, and yet another pleasure in life removed (by government).

Now THAT would be criminal!

Sure....allow the government to take that same money away from those same Americans by force to give it to a government agency and watch as an industry is destroyed, jobs are lost, and yet another pleasure in life removed (by government).

Now THAT would be criminal!

Good point! Let's get rid of something that's pure waste like professional sports instead. :D

The only "pure waste" I want to get rid of is the idiots in DC (and maybe a few in other countries).

For all the great things the US has done and given to the world. And the enemies you survived both foreign and domestic since the first day you became a country. Its pretty fucken sad that you will be done in by corruption and debt!

I guess the saying "absolute power corrupts absolutely" couldn't be more true!

I take it you haven't seen the financial shape most of Europe is in?

What exactly is the point of giving the moon, a moon?

The only "pure waste" I want to get rid of is the idiots in DC (and maybe a few in other countries).

If you think those people are idiots, whatever and whoever replaces them will also seem like a bunch of idiots to you. Anywho, this is like a computer nerd forum and not a place to change politics. I'm pretty sure the government peoples have lobbies or activitism and involvement that would make more sense to engage in rather than complaining about them to a bunch of random people online. :) Go talk to your elected officials and maybe something can be changed to make you feel better.

It took eight replies to get a "That's no moon"?

Kudos to Steve for the Yo dawg line, very nice.

Now in the spirit of the rest of this thread, I'd rather see a couple billion invested on the future of humanity than watch it spent on hookers and blow in DC. Just don't miss orbit and launch the thing down our throats.

The future of humanity is a wallowing mass of continued waste and reality TV, why not use the mass of effort known as government to achieve something truly great?

National debt share per citizen, $52,136
National debt share per tax payer, $145,638

That only includes federal debt, it does not include each citizens share of their own state's debt.

The only problem though is that we the people (whether unknowingly) consented to this hierarchical structure. If even now when we no longer agree with it due to the fact it was implemented through secrets/trickery/HAHA!. The fed literally owns you/the money supply you use, not metaphorically, literally, they own it all. The government works for the fed, not the other way around. We the people pledged our agreement to it too after all out of derp-mode & of course when our government went into bankruptcy in 1933. On top of that, borrowing money from the world when you have no intention on EVER paying it back (find US rank on this link?) in full (think ponzi scheme where only the interest is EVER paid back) and taking it from your economic slaves (by owning the fiat currency) doesn't actually mean you (Central banks/Federal Reserve = elite (not normal banks)) are worse off. It means the world is worse off for allowing you to control the reserve currency in the first place, period! We the people are worse off no matter what since we never understood what was going on in the first place...lol. Point: this is by design people, simple! Now get back in line and STFU! :eek:

Elite - 1
World - 0

That said, NASA's about as important as oxygen. NASA should get ten times more funding & the military industrial complex should get ten times less. In my view anyway.

Originally Posted by reFre5h
You are one of those crazies.
lol... ;)

I know this a tech forum....you just can't separate this kind of article from politics.

I'll go back to my 1's and 0's

That money tree the government had, it died. Too many people wanting the government to fill too many roles, each thinking their particular expense is justifiable.

Fuck that. All we are doing is cutting our children's throats.

THANK YOU.

*applause.gif*

I can understand the government wanting to fill certain rolls. This space exploration stuff on the other hand sure doesn't need to be one of them. Any cool tech found by it could be done by any non-government-owned company or organization, WHILE they're making money & staying afloat. Things like education allow for assets that are a lot more complex to value (a smarter bunch of people -> jobs. Well, that's the hope...)

Cold War called. Wants its space race crap back.

Play the "it's a drop of pee in the ocean" card all you want, it adds up over the years. Many other parts of government would see similar trimmings (I'm looking at you, Defense budget. hooooolllly CRAP! among other places)

I hate to get political on things, but it sickens me to see MY (and fellow people who think similarly) money go towards more space junk, expensive space junk at that.

</rant>

How's the hubble space telescope doing? Oooooh pretty pictures that people use as desktop backgrounds that I could've whipped up in photoshop after a bad dream. :rolleyes:

Knowing more about ourselves and the world is good... up to the point where it's costing us millions and billions.

I understand scientific curiosity and research. NASA has given us all a great many things...
Today's NASA is not that NASA. And even that NASA actually subcontracted those many great things out to private companies.

Its not that they are completely useless, but their effectiveness is about the same as the equivalent amount of federal money given to universities for research. Because that's basically what NASA has become, a postdoctoral research center.

Being a macroeconomic adviser for fiscal spending is apparently the worst job in the world because everywhere you go on the internet has a bunch of people who might as well be trash truck drivers acting like they know how your job works. That and usually they're so wrong in understanding how government debt works that you probably just want to curl up in a fetal position and die.

I see the end the fed folks have been here. Pretty soon we'll be back to burning witches and having a flat earth. It's good to know that sciences, especially social ones like economics, are still so far lost on the general public that they think they can intuit them on their own or from a bunch of youtube videos recorded by a gynecologist.

Sorry NASA, the moon will never get another moon. We'll be too busy worshiping the sun and trying to cast spells on banks as we enter some kind of pseudo-intellectual dark age brought on by the internet and animated videos of talking bears.

THANK YOU.

*applause.gif*

I can understand the government wanting to fill certain rolls. This space exploration stuff on the other hand sure doesn't need to be one of them. Any cool tech found by it could be done by any non-government-owned company or organization, WHILE they're making money & staying afloat. Things like education allow for assets that are a lot more complex to value (a smarter bunch of people -> jobs. Well, that's the hope...)

Cold War called. Wants its space race crap back.

Play the "it's a drop of pee in the ocean" card all you want, it adds up over the years. Many other parts of government would see similar trimmings (I'm looking at you, Defense budget. hooooolllly CRAP! among other places)

I hate to get political on things, but it sickens me to see MY (and fellow people who think similarly) money go towards more space junk, expensive space junk at that.

</rant>

How's the hubble space telescope doing? Oooooh pretty pictures that people use as desktop backgrounds that I could've whipped up in photoshop after a bad dream. :rolleyes:

Knowing more about ourselves and the world is good... up to the point where it's costing us millions and billions.

get off my planet i like it here

Back