Google, Yahoo Accused Of Funding Piracy

HardOCP News

[H] News
Raise your hand if you are surprised. Anyone? Hello? Is this thing on?

Google and Yahoo's advertising networks are accused of financially supporting those who pirate music and movies online, according to a report from the University of Southern California. The school's Annenberg Innovation Lab studied which ad networks placed the most ads on sites accused of infringing music and film copyrights and today issued a list of the top 10. Google is No. 2, and Yahoo came in at No. 6.

More like the university is funded by RIAA

Isn't extortion and racketeering against the law? Can't we pull a RICO on the RIAA?

Good...maybe the music and movie industry will crack down on Google! They're so evil that they totally helped me download a car yesterday and stuff like that has to stop for the good of humanity.

Isn't extortion and racketeering against the law? Can't we pull a RICO on the RIAA?
I agree completely.
So now ad companies will need to research every site to make sure it doesn't promote piracy before running ads on them to avoid this sort of crap? What's next on the "control with an iron fist" list?

I agree completely.
So now ad companies will need to research every site to make sure it doesn't promote piracy before running ads on them to avoid this sort of crap? What's next on the "control with an iron fist" list?

Not only that the sites don't promote piracy; also that they won't be accused of promoting piracy.

No, the RIAA/MPAA won't be touched. Like any good criminal enterprise, they've got the politicians in their pocket.

I take it that you didn't get the memo about racketeering being legal as long as you contribute millions to campaign funds... as a no favor expected donation of course ;) .

Isn't Google the number one online ad company? Their only being number two on this list seems to show they either make some effort to avoid working with such sites, or are unappealing to such sites.

Isn't Google the number one online ad company? Their only being number two on this list seems to show they either make some effort to avoid working with such sites, or are unappealing to such sites.

I don't think OpenX does address verification like Google does. Google mails a PIN to your address that you have to use to get paid. You can get paid anonymously by OpenX by providing a fake name and address and an anonymous bank account.

Back