Cooler Master HAF XB

HardOCP News

[H] News
Need a new case? The crew at Guru3D seem pretty impressed with the Cooler Master HAF XB they have on the test bench today.

The looks are great and the amount of space you get to work with is downright very decent for a mid-tower chassis. The fans are not silent, but not too noisy either yet offer a nice steady airflow inside the chassis cooling down your high-end gear, and that's a very important aspect alright. The design combined with its features and looks make this a recommendable product to opt for.

I've had this case for a month now and really love it, just got a 200mm fan mounted for the top last week. Has plenty of room for everything I need and is by far one of the cleanest looking builds I have ever done since all of the cables are shoved in the bottom section. Also has a motherboard tray which was extremely convenient installing and swapping motherboards out. I have used the hot swappable hard drive bays a few times too with no issues.

What Striker said.

I use the hot swap bays almost daily. I don't like to have things running if they don't have to be & this thing fits the bill perfectly.

The only thing that I don't like is not having a removable front dust screen. It makes it difficult to clean.

Last edited:
Just got a client order from a high-end Hackintosh build using one of these cases. Hope to make it a [H] quality project
@GeezerButler: Clean build!

But is it quiet? Im using a r4 and would be awesome to swap over to this cm case. Never been a fan of big and bulky and man the r4 is just that. The only reason I bought it though was because its super quiet.

But is it quiet? Im using a r4 and would be awesome to swap over to this cm case. Never been a fan of big and bulky and man the r4 is just that. The only reason I bought it though was because its super quiet.

I moved my rig from a Corsair 550D which is the quietest case I've ever had (I'm still using it for another setup). The HAF is definitely louder because it is almost completely vented. And of course the biggest factor will be the fans you run. I am using a fan controller for all my fans and so I can regulate the fan noise depending what I'm doing and how cool I want it to run. I don't use the stock fans and I'm about to change them again to BitFenix Spectre Pros with green LEDs to fit my colour scheme, so I can't really comment on the stock noise. And I'm also using a 200mm in the top which again is probably unnecessary but it's just for cosmetics really.

I think if a super quiet rig is what you want this might not be the best choice, purely because of the open vented nature of the case. As HAF stands for High Air Flow I don't think silence was CM's main design criteria. If you use the right fans though I don't think you'd have a problem getting this to run reasonably quietly. I think you can even use 140mm fans for the front intakes if you mount them on the inside of the case rather than the standard position.

Geezer I currently have 3 140mm fans and 2 120mm fans on the h100i and its pretty quiet. Which brings me to a question, does the haf xb have wc support? Only spot I see where a h100 would fit would be the front intake and that would be good in a way. If you think this case would support a h100 I might pick it up when it goes on sale.

Back