25% Of Americans Own A Tablet

Seems high.

However, 'households' with at least one of those devices would be believable.

I got rid of my tablet. These new "phablets" are where it is at I think. After I got a note 2, I sold my old tablet and phone.

Of course it's a bit high. It depends entirely on where the source of the survey results come from. They have a sample of 2.5k... that isn't big enough + a source of that size could easily be entirely from a university campus skewing the results massively in one direction. Tbh people who don't have or aren't interested in tablets won't even be bothered with taking part in such a survey and those with an interest in tablets are more likely to take part.

I'm not an american but I really doubt there are 75-100 million US unique tablet users out there.

You can make statistics show what you want them to show if you aren't stupid.

I see e-readers alot in public but not so much tablets except at trendy coffee shops.

I guess I can believe it. We have 2 Android powered ones in our house, not used much now, my brother and sister each have iPads and we all live in small towns so I can imagine ow it would be in cities like NYC with all the cafe's and shit.

What is hard to believe about that? Heck, I have two in my house alone and have given them tablets to others as gifts as well.

I have three in my household. One of which I use for the civil engineering projects I work on all the time. Pay quantities, photos, daily diary, email, quick plan and spec reference, etc. When it's slow, it keeps me entertained.

Wife has a Kindle for entertainment and the old Galaxy Tab I used to take out into the field entertains the rugrat now.

I have a Touchpad I seldom use and my Note2...I think the 25% stat is high based on what I see around here.

I have 2. One of those el cheapo Craig 7 89 dollar fake tablet from Big Lots! and the Tmobile LG G-Slate tablet. Time to upgrade. :cool:

I have 2. One of those el cheapo Craig 7 89 dollar fake tablet from Big Lots! and the Tmobile LG G-Slate tablet. Time to upgrade. :cool:

Saying "I want to upgrade" so so much better than "I have an old codger here that is no longer new and shiny and I want something new". :D

Is a kindle fire considered an ereader or a tablet, because I see them everywhere. Personally, we have an Ipad2, hp Touchpad, and a kindle fire in our house. 4 out of my 5 closest friends have a tablet of some sort. Couple Xooms, a 1st gen IPad, and a Sony model. Probably 1/2 of the office I work at have iPads now for IT clinical support purposes.

I totally believe the number if you count every piece of junk sub $100 android tablet and every nook simple touch etc. etc. etc...

(I'm not complaining about the Nook... the e-ink is the most underrated technology out there. Awesome stuff for reading.)

I was thinking of buying a cheapie AllWinner 1.2GHz A8/Mali-400 8GB Android 4.0 tablet since they're under $100 nowadays.

And I agree with the household suggestion above. 30-odd million homes having a tablet would equal 25% I think.

Of course, the number is high-- I'd estimate that 95% of all those surveyed also owned a traditional desktop/laptop Windows box of some kind...;) It's always amazing how statistics can be manipulated to show what is often the opposite of reality--more amazing still is how readily the bogus stuff is believed...:rolleyes: Most such surveys are not remarkable for what they say, but rather for what they *don't* say.

We should do a [H] poll.

That would be more interesting.

Also, I notice this was a phone survey. IMO this always sways results of a survey because only crazy people actually answer phone surveys, so rather than "25% if Americans", it should read "25% of people dumb enough to take a phone survey" :D

Even given the small sample size used for the stats i wouldnt be surprised at all since it includes e-readers. I know just a couple people that dont own one at all. Between $89 budget tablets, the kindle and nook lines and e-readers the damn things are everywhere.

I have one, dont use it much but its nice to have when i need it.

I'm one of them now. Yay! Boss got me an iPad Mini for Christmas. Gotta say I like it a lot!

Just had to re-purchase a couple of HD versions of apps I already owned, but otherwise carried over a bunch of apps I already had from my iPhone 3Gs and 4s.

Of course it's a bit high. It depends entirely on where the source of the survey results come from. They have a sample of 2.5k... that isn't big enough + a source of that size could easily be entirely from a university campus skewing the results massively in one direction. Tbh people who don't have or aren't interested in tablets won't even be bothered with taking part in such a survey and those with an interest in tablets are more likely to take part.

I'm not an american but I really doubt there are 75-100 million US unique tablet users out there.

You can make statistics show what you want them to show if you aren't stupid.
A sample size of 2,252 is large enough to make an accurate and confident inference about the population of Americans ages 16 or older, which is printed right there on the graph. Also it's done by Pew Research; they're actually a credible polling source and not some liberal college internet survey. Anyone who skews graphs by altering axes, scales, and not

If I wanted to do the same poll with a margin of error of +/- 2.3%, assuming the sample was random, and 95% confident that the sample represents the population of Americans 16 and older owning a tablet, I'd need a minimum sample size of 1816:

sample(n) >= 0.25[ ( invNorm(0.025) / 2.3%) ^ 2 ] -> 0.025 = (1 - 95%) / 2
n >= 1815.4329 rounded up to nearest whole number = 1816

Anecdote time. My mother typically reads at least ten books a month, all from the library. She recently got an e-ink Kindle and almost immediately shifted entirely to e-books. She's able to check-out a large number of e-books each month, from a huge overall selection, from her state's library system and she no longer has to worry about keeping track of them and getting them back in time.

Given the habitual nature of how she approaches books, I was amazed at how quickly she picked up the e-reader. I also think e-ink is still really under appreciated when it comes to replacing traditional books for many people.

Back