The Most Pirated Movies of 2012

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
BitTorrent figures are in for 2012 and the data collected was compiled by TorrentFreak to give us a list of the ten most pirated movies. The volume of downloading has not changed in the past year compared to 2011, but exactly what users downloaded is somewhat surprising.

Whether these unauthorized downloads are a serious threat to box office revenues is unclear. Earlier this year researchers found no evidence that BitTorrent piracy hurts US box office returns.

Project X as “winner” is perhaps the biggest surprise as it’s the lowest grossing movie in the top 10 with only $100,931,865.

Not particularly surprising, sometimes people want to just watch a train wreck without paying for it to kind of make a statement. The MPAA is very good at blaming piracy for why an absolutely shitty movie fails.

Not particularly surprising, sometimes people want to just watch a train wreck without paying for it to kind of make a statement. The MPAA is very good at blaming piracy for why an absolutely shitty movie fails.

Which make #10 on the list an even bigger surprise, that piece of garbage grossed over 700 million! What's wrong with people.

This is the part where we find out how horrible peoples taste in movies really are.

Lmao. The most pirated movies all had more than 10x their production budgets and grossed roughly half a billion or more each.

Yeah, piracy hurt these guys.

Look at the audience who'd watch it. 20 somethings. Torrent savvy and not wanting to pay money... makes sense to me.

So I take it you haven't seen this then. :D

Demotivational-double-standards.jpeg

I guess I am really out of touch with today's movies. I had to Google 4 of them, including the "winner", to have any clue what they were abut.

I do not watch enough TV to see many previews I guess. I consider that a good thing.

Surprised that "War Horse" isn't up there. Watch it OnDemand the other day, seriously one of the best sad movies I've ever seen.

Never even heard of Project X. Seems like one of those releases where the studio is actually downloading it to make people interested when they see the high download numbers.

Ive only seen one of those, and havent heard of the tope one at all. I didn't even see ads for it at the cinema... (or wasn't paying attention)

That list actually isn't half bad! I'm a little surprised. Maybe downloaders have a bit better taste than the general public?

Lmao. The most pirated movies all had more than 10x their production budgets and grossed roughly half a billion or more each.

Yeah, piracy hurt these guys.
Thanks to people with attitudes like yours, Johnny Depp will not be able to buy his kids that private island in SE Asia they always wanted this year, and Nicole Kidman will have to wait another year before replacing her old 2011 Maserati. I hope you feel good about yourself.

I guess I am really out of touch with today's movies. I had to Google 4 of them, including the "winner", to have any clue what they were abut.

I do not watch enough TV to see many previews I guess. I consider that a good thing.

You had to google some of them, even though their names link to the respective imdb pages. Good one :D

Shit movies anyway. The Dictator was OK but too much pro-Israel for my taste.

The only time piracy harms movie industry revenues is when a film gets leaked and people find out how bad it is before the publicity/bullshit/marketing machine gets started. The two week window when people will use reviews, trailers & previews to base their viewing choices is all MPAA companies care about. Once enough of the public knows the truth its no longer effective.

Thanks to people with attitudes like yours, Johnny Depp will not be able to buy his kids that private island in SE Asia they always wanted this year, and Nicole Kidman will have to wait another year before replacing her old 2011 Maserati. I hope you feel good about yourself.

Sounds like a quote from that South Park episode about music downloads

I read all of the comments here before reading the article. After reading all of the "I never even heard of half of these movies?!?!" I figured I'd see some off the walls titles... To my surprise there wasnt a single movie on there that wasnt a big, well advertised, featured movie of 2012 on that list.

I dont watch much tv other than football on sundays but god damn, you guys must be living under a rock or something.

I saw all but 2 of these films this year, Project X and The Dictator...dont feel I missed anything by skipping these 2.

Of the others, based on "good film watching", I would rate the rest in this order:

1) The Dark Knight Rises - Great end to a great Triliogy

2) The Avengers - Great way to start a Universal franchise for a comic publisher

3) Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol - Had some great stunts, but the story was weaker than previous MI films

4) Sherlock Holmes - A Game of Shadows - Should have been a lot better..

5) Ice Age - Continental Drift - Funny enough to keep most kids entertained for an 1-1/2 hour

6) Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (The Scandinavian version is better)...but this is watchable if you dont like sun-titled foreign films

7) 21 Jump Street - Meh, I was bored and it was available...not nearly as good as the TV show was.

8) Twilight - Breaking Dawn Part 1 - Got to watch this one so you can get to the last one...

Jeez...I haven't even seen any of those movies, am I out of touch or something?

Pretty much all Bro movies for the 14-25 crowd. That includes Twilight. Bros have a waifu hard-on for Kristen Stewart.

I've seen two and heard of two others.Sherlock Holmes was quite good and thank god you can skip the awful fight scenes with a download. The Avengers film was a complete waste of time but that might be because I'm unaffected by comic book fanboy-ism and the characters had no depth.

3 of them are from me.

The Dark Knight Rises - Sucked I want Michael Keaton back.
Sherlock Holmes - Entertaining
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Sucked except for the soundtrack

2012 wasn't a very good year for movies I only liked 3 that I can think of:
The Gray
Chronicle
Avengers

But I still have a few to watch:
Argo
Les Miserables
Lincoln
Cloud Atlas

Here's the list for those who can't access TF's website.

1 Project X 8,720,000 $100,931,865
2 Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol 8,500,000 $694,713,380
3 The Dark Knight Rises 8,230,000 $1,081,041,287
4 The Avengers 8,110,000 $1,511,757,910
5 Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows 7,850,000 $543,848,418
6 21 Jump Street 7,590,000 $201,585,328
7 The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo 7,420,000 $232,617,430
8 The Dictator 7,330,000 $177,547,352
9 Ice Age: Continental Drift 6,960,000 $875,093,094
10 The Twilight Saga Breaking Dawn Part 1 6,740,000 $712,171,856

I've only seen half of those movies (all legally, in case you're wondering). I never heard of the #1 movie, Project X. :eek: I'm waiting for DKR to come out on Redbox. I've been meaning to rent Girl/Tattoo from there one of these days.

Well hyped "niche" movies. Mediocre
Enjoyed the Avengers and Sherlock Holmes.
Saw " The Girl .." with subtitles, no inclination to see more.
Mission Impossible disappoints
May see the "The Dictator"

Back