OUYA Ships Twelve Hundred Dev Consoles

Depends what's in the box.

Survey says: POS no ones going to dev anything worthwhile for, nice as the whole concept might have seemed on the surface

Depends who you ask, look at the support they already have.

Current partners include VEVO, iheartradio, TuneIn, XBMC, Plex, Twitch.tv, and OnLive. Play games

Compatible XBMC, PLex device that can play games. That's definitely worth a look if you ask me.

I doubt it'll be some kind of major success. Perhaps over time it'll do well but as it stands , more of a curiosity
than anything right now.

It kinda reminds me Tesla motors in that sense , taking on all the big guys but .. Tesla motors has done nothing but bleed money over the years. If it wasn't for SpaceX and its successful launches and ability to send up cargo to the ISS , Elon Musk would have gone totally bankrupt.

Yeah, who knows if it will get better than media service/center ports and free-type games. It's kind of like the Pi: buy it if you want something it can do and otherwise ignore it.

I think the idea is kind of cool since it runs Android and has a somewhat decent SoC. Pull it apart and embed the hardware elsewhere... it's like a super Raspberry Pi with few expandable I/O ports.

I have to say that although I am happy they have dev consoles out the fact that something like the controller design hasn't been finalized yet is kinda crazy...

I mean, how long have they been working on this thing? What have they been doing these past couple months since Kickstarter? Also, to STILL have "bugs" in a already established OS using established hardware is just a joke.

Again, happy to see dev kits, unhappy and seriously worried about everything else...something just doesn't seem right.

Still not sure who this is marketed towards. A used Xbox 360 can be had for $99 and games can go for as cheap as $10 on ebay. The performance difference vs. the OUYA will be substantial. So who other than hipsters are really going to be buying this?

D grade apps on a system equipment to a Game Cube vs. AAA titles with modern day console. Hummm...

"better get something so we can compare the size of it."
"oh here is a coffee mug"
"see how small it is compared to this mug?"

Wtf? It was pretty easy to tell how big it was since you were HOLDING IT IN YOUR HANDS. Oh unless you maybe have giant freak hands? Hadn't thought about that possibility...

Sorry, that part just seemed odd to me.

I hope everybody continues to enjoy Angry Birds because that is about the only thing this Ouya thing will get. Their launch titles are completely laughable. No developers are falling over themselves to develop specifically much less port already developed games. I am sure in the end they will end up selling more consoles during the kickstarter run than post launch.

I hope everybody continues to enjoy Angry Birds because that is about the only thing this Ouya thing will get. Their launch titles are completely laughable. No developers are falling over themselves to develop specifically much less port already developed games. I am sure in the end they will end up selling more consoles during the kickstarter run than post launch.

dont worry, it is android based, most likely it can run all android apps that are not made for it.

dont worry, it is android based, most likely it can run all android apps that are not made for it.

Games would need to be reconfigured to work solely with a gamepad vs touch based. Plus games are as I understand supposed to be purchased via some Ouya marketplace.

I doubt it'll be some kind of major success. Perhaps over time it'll do well but as it stands , more of a curiosity
than anything right now.

It kinda reminds me Tesla motors in that sense , taking on all the big guys but .. Tesla motors has done nothing but bleed money over the years. If it wasn't for SpaceX and its successful launches and ability to send up cargo to the ISS , Elon Musk would have gone totally bankrupt.
You never know true but it still one heck good start if stop and think about.
Now there down side this device and are
Tegra 3 quad-core processor (A bit weak in performance but there hope with Tegra 4 just around corner)
1GB RAM = Kind small I think 2GB would have been better
8GB of internal flash storage = (WTF no expandable memory slot)

Games would need to be reconfigured to work solely with a gamepad vs touch based. Plus games are as I understand supposed to be purchased via some Ouya marketplace.

isnt the gamepad middle part a touchpad?

Look folks, the bottom line is, is if there is no way to monetize this, it will fail. end of story.

Could make for an affordable casual gaming/htpc product perhaps, and great gift idea at this price. If they get stuff like Binding of Isaac and Don't Starve on it then it might do ok I'd imagine.

Not that big of a deal especially thanks to Android having proper support for gamepads for a while now, so some games will already work - especially those that supported things like the Xperia Play. Most games make pretty shitty use of touch anyway and just overlay a virtual gamepad.

Look folks, the bottom line is, is if there is no way to monetize this, it will fail. end of story.
If there's no way to make money from a product, that product will fail to make money...

You might be on to something.

The way to monetize it is painfully obvious - sell the damn thing for monies. I think they want to charge $100, which is definitely selling this device at a *profit* not a loss like other consoles at launch.

I saw some early footage today of a Neo-Geo emulator runing King of Fighters on Ouya on a 55 LED it looked awesome.

absolutely cannot wait for this for the emulators.

having the power of a smartphone for $100 that has a very easy interface for your TV? this thing will make a GREAT stream box, now if you could caddy a real HDD to it ...

Sooo here's my quick bullet points on this

1) I'm kind of discouraged with what I'm seeing here. Not just in the product but it also seems like he's the lead developer and she's the CEO and they aren't on the same page?(within my own experience this can be CATASTROPHIC for a company's financial well being, from a mid sized company that took a 6 million dollar nose dive on borrowed money in ONE year from having similar CEO leadership) If you're going to make an internal release video, how are you too busy to get on the same page so you're not asking questions during the public release video unboxing of YOUR OWN product?

2) Does she even understand what an "unboxing" is? This is like that kid that hears a catch phrase and doesn't understand what it means but he makes a youtube video of something he believes it to be against everyone's advice. (another example of bad CEO leadership) Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't an "unboxing" something someone outside of your company does? To provide an uncensored critique of the product, packaging, look, etc? I'm clearly going to trust Joe Youtube User over OUYA dev's and the CEO as to what the quality of an OUYA brand product is amirite? Also, suppose unboxings were done internally are you supposed to unbox a test run of your product when you're clearly exclaiming in the same video this is not going to be the finished product that will ship? I don't understand the point.

3) Are they really trying to compete with consoles with that? Basically it's my Samsung Galaxy that I already own with a custom Google Play market(that apparently has no games available on it), a 110v power supply(that looks limited to a standard American 110v wall socket plug), and a gamepad but for 100 bucks? I'm sure if I was resourceful enough to work with an OUYA for 100 bucks there's a way to use my Galaxy's bluetooth to link a controller, and the galaxy's S-beam to play similar games on my TV for free.

4)Are they really trying to compete with consoles with that?(Again) I don't think this thing is going to pump out Battlefield 3 or beyond @ a 1080p setting and offer competitive graphics and response speed to draw the majority of consolers(FPS'ers) to Ouya. Also the people buying Xbox Live Arcade games I would assume are in the majority rule simpletons stuck paying 3X cost on Android platform arcade games, or leftover titles of yester-years Microsoft has purchased all rights to and I don't see them migrating. I just don't see them hitting a profitable portion of the market they were gunning for. I just see them hitting a niche market and fizzling out over a few years if even for that long.

its got some great points..

but its just taking gaming back several steps.
we're supposed to be going forward

I have to hand it to the Ouya crew, they have an uncanny ability to draw morons into every thread that exists on the internet about their upcoming product.

My only impression is that it's a cell phone powered console that's not mobile.

I was kind of excited about OUYA, that was until I found out it would only cost about $100 and the specs show it. I doubt the system will even support HD in any factor. It's just a smartphone with TV connections. This is so not necessary in any form. We already have amazing indie games on PC and consoles. I predict this might do decently well until Big Picture comes out and pushes this pile of junk out of the market.

They really seem to have banked hard on the $99 price point as the biggest selling point, and I suspect most of their kickstarter contributions were from sheep that didn't understand the limits of its spec sheet and were simply mystified by the word console and the built up cache and good will that it has traditionally meant. Tegra3 is great for mobiles as I've got several devices with one including my Nexus7 here but then expectations are low for smartphone and tablet gaming, even for the Tegra optimized titles.

In spite of everything I hope it finds some success, though its got a hard climb what with $105 refurb 360 slims yo be had from cowboom

Happy New Year!

What an unmitigated load of BS...;) Man, people will buy into *anything*, won't they? Sure the games are "free": because there aren't any. But, oh, yea, you can, like, still *buy* an Ouya today--even before the Ouya becomes available! What a mouth-waterin' deal...;) Looks like a $25 Pi inside a plastic cube--prototype, of course--but done in transparent plastic to "prove" there's some substance to WeGotcha'--I mean, Ouya.

People deserve to lose their money. Unlike the Phantom console, which never took a dime from end-users/customers, end-users are being conned *right now* with this load of stupendous bs.

"Ouya, Inc." is wrapping up its legal obligations for collecting the money, and they'll walk away scot-free at the end and say, "We're sorry it didn't work, but you knew that possibility was true from the start, didn't 'ya?"

To which the suckers will reply: "Yep. Sure did. Thanks for nothin', though." Sheeeeesh. This generation definitely has a rather large educational deficit to overcome--Our Government in Action.

You know it's funny. Months ago citing the kickstarter I called out the faults of this thing and got shouted down. Now that dev units are hitting and people are starting to realize what it really is, I'm hard pressed to find positive press about it. I'm starting to think people just go full retard on kickstarter.

than anything right now.

that's not true at all, as the man himself said they would have been fine even without the loan from the government. I also very much doubt they're making more money from space launches.

and another thing I know people bitch and moan on the internet and I do it myself, but my god the amount of you that are willing to talk shit on this site at every single news story when anything new comes to pass is ridiculous. Quit crying and enjoy the future it's probably going to be amazing.

It looks like it would be worth the $$ if some worthwhile titles come out for it. The OnLive support sounds great since OnLive was said to be failing with their own console thingy.

In either case, if its halfway decent, I'm sure I have a small corner of space for it on my entertainment center.

Why do people insist on comparing this with Xbox 360 and stuff like that. The point of this thing has always been to reintroduce the simple gaming to the TV-screen. Deflecting away all the ultra graphics intensive stuff. Just making gaming a fun light social thing. It's basically a modern old Nintendo that is open for anyone. If you don't get that, then you are not in the focus group for it.

Why do people insist on comparing this with Xbox 360 and stuff like that. The point of this thing has always been to reintroduce the simple gaming to the TV-screen. Deflecting away all the ultra graphics intensive stuff. Just making gaming a fun light social thing. It's basically a modern old Nintendo that is open for anyone. If you don't get that, then you are not in the focus group for it.

And you obviously don't get how market dynamics work. Those of us in tech realize it can't possibly compete with modern consoles when it has tablet specs. Nor can it compete with mobile devices because it isn't mobile. So what the average consumer needs to know is what it does compete with. The answer to that is nothing. If the average consumer cared about simplified gaming, gamecubes would still be flying off the shelves. The only group that is going to have any real interest is homebrew and that isn't a profitable demographic.

Fact is most people aren't going to drop $100 just to play angry birds on their tv. And most devs aren't going to invest a ton of time in developing for a platform that has effectively zero chance of making money.

Back