China Requires Internet Users To Register Names

HardOCP News

[H] News
Want to use the internet in China? No problem, we just need you to register with the authorities, your thumb print and the name of your next of kin (in case you break the rules). :eek:

China's government tightened Internet controls Friday with approval of a law that requires users to register their names after a flood of online complaints about official abuses rattled Communist Party leaders. Authorities say the law will strengthen protections for personal information. But it also is likely to curtail the Internet's status as a forum to complain about the government or publicize corruption.

Similar terms and conditions will be arriving in the next few years for the rest of us if the corporate overlords get their way.

Wait until the US requires this too.

CA already does with prop 35 that was passed, and probably for a few other select groups of people. Can't wait until the Sunshine State decides it's in everyones' best interest to force everyone to do the same and make it law...

Similar terms and conditions will be arriving in the next few years for the rest of us if the corporate overlords get their way.

For users to be tracked / registered here in the states, they'd have to set up a login protocol for every access point. It's just not possible with how many devices exist.

Since it can't be done efficient enough here, other corporations would fight it. Plus, most are already tracked by a service of some sort (Facebook, Google), so I'm sure the NSA has some way of tracking a vast majority of us.

I never thought I'd compare China to Facebook lol but today is that day.

I can't imagine something like this on a federal level. I would be pretty upset if I had to log into to a .gov website in order to have access. I don't see something like this being implemented in the US, people reacted pretty harshly to SOPA

Damn I'm going to China next month. =\

We were stuck in Shanghai for about 24 hours and the internet was nearly useless there. Make sure to be ready with a proxy or some way around their internet. Google sort of worked sometimes. Everything was heavily censored. We were lucky being put up in a hotel temporarily, but no one spoke English and the workers could barely understand what I was doing when using hand motions. Satellites on my phone wouldn't work either.

To this day I have no idea where we were staying.

I can't imagine something like this on a federal level. I would be pretty upset if I had to log into to a .gov website in order to have access. I don't see something like this being implemented in the US, people reacted pretty harshly to SOPA

It's coming. At this point there have been so many attempts to push through things similar to SOPA (PIPA, CISPA) I see it as inevitable.

Think about it, the internet is one of the last methods of communication that the government doesn't have control over. If they don't control it they can't censor and control information.

In the government's eyes, all these people sharing and communicating freely is a dangerous thing.

Puts on tinfoil hat

Now get off my lawn!

It's coming. At this point there have been so many attempts to push through things similar to SOPA (PIPA, CISPA) I see it as inevitable.

Think about it, the internet is one of the last methods of communication that the government doesn't have control over. If they don't control it they can't censor and control information.

In the government's eyes, all these people sharing and communicating freely is a dangerous thing.

Puts on tinfoil hat

Now get off my lawn!

I'm just curious how you guys think it'd be possible. Technologically. Our infrastructure is in place. China is growing rapidly and already have firewalls for censorship. So implementing this is easier for them. Implementing it for us is a nightmare and would cost upwards of billions. Ironically, it'd be paid for by the Chinese, lol.

The most they can get is registering MAC addresses. And even that isn't full proof, as they're easily spoofed.

Too much out there, too late to do anything about it.

The problem isn't so much corporate entities. The real problem is government. Government has always been the real problem. The biggest problems with corporations tend to be more of acting on ignorance, getting in bed with government, and various degrees of harmful greed. All of which pales in comparison to the damage that government does.

The problem isn't so much corporate entities. The real problem is government. Government has always been the real problem. The biggest problems with corporations tend to be more of acting on ignorance, getting in bed with government, and various degrees of harmful greed. All of which pales in comparison to the damage that government does.

Yes but it's not really Govts. in control anymore. The corps make it look that way but in the end its the people with the money pulling the strings.

The corps always have something that people want. Govts come and go, no one cares but you try to take Twinkies off the shelf and all hell breaks loose.

Yes but it's not really Govts. in control anymore. The corps make it look that way but in the end its the people with the money pulling the strings.

I'd like to see you successfully convince over 500 million internet users in China of that.

As for the Twinkies:
I'm not all that sad to see them go away but that situation is a good example as to how damaging unions can be to any business. They all collectively bargained themselves out of a job and permanently removed an American icon. Perhaps that needed to happen with this company. Perhaps it needs to happen with a few others. But, the way this all took place bothers me. I don't believe it sent the message that you would like to other CEO's.

Cart before the horse.

Governments are corrupt first, then corporations that are willing to leverage this advance and the others fail. If governments weren't corrupt, the first time a kick-back or bribe attempt happened, the government official would turn them in.

China has strict gun control too. So what can they really do about it, but take it.

I'm just curious how you guys think it'd be possible. Technologically. Our infrastructure is in place. China is growing rapidly and already have firewalls for censorship. So implementing this is easier for them. Implementing it for us is a nightmare and would cost upwards of billions. Ironically, it'd be paid for by the Chinese, lol.

The most they can get is registering MAC addresses. And even that isn't full proof, as they're easily spoofed.

Too much out there, too late to do anything about it.

It would be relatively simple.

ISP's are the gatekeepers. They could easily require user identification before granting access to the internet.

Back