Apple Wins Micro-SIM Patent

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apple has been granted a patent that covers connectors that allow for multiple methods of inserting a SIM card.

Connectors that may allow SIM cards to be easily removed and replaced, may be resistant to damage by an improper insertion of a SIM card, and may provide reliable mechanical performance. One example may provide a plunger system where a user can push on a plunger rod and eject a SIM card. Another example may provide contacts that are not damaged by improper insertion of a SIM card. Another example may provide a plastic housing, the housing reinforced by a metallic shield and having a relatively uniform thickness.

kinda sounds like a description on a cassette tape player...

This is different though... it's for a SIM card...

Well thank goodness 99% of the other phone manufacturers don't use Apple's method for SIM installation, as big of a pain in the arse as manually forcing a CD drive open, no searches for paperclips, or misplaced provided tool needed for anyone elses phone. Just take the back off, take the battery out, and get the SIM.

Patent probably wouldn't exist if you could actually open the damn phone, can't see it being infringed upon either, would have already happened if it was a noteworthy and practical design.

Perfect example of what is terribly wrong with copyright law. Sounds pretty generic.

This has been done to death for years on CD's, DVD's, Cassette's, SD cards, Flash cards, etc... BUT, because it's for a SIM card, they allow patent. I can see Apple ramping up to sue someone...

I'm pretty happy with remove the case, remove the battery, put the mini sim under the battery. Micro and Nano sims seem like a lot of change for not much smaller. *puts on old man hat*

Google Nexus 4 uses a little metal tray with plastic on the end to insert the sim card.

Cue SD and flash-card memory prior art in 3..2...1...

Cue nothing. I believe this is specifically for SIM cards and the methods to insert it. I dont believe anyone used tray based SIM card insert before the iPhone. Its not a very efficient method but it was Apple's own invention. Some one can prove me wrong on this, but as far as I know no one else used it before Apple. (always had to find a mech pencil or paper clip or something small and pointy to take it out)

Didn't laptops or something use a push button type thing to eject a card out the side of it, can't remember though.

Didn't laptops or something use a push button type thing to eject a card out the side of it, can't remember though.

you mean the PCMCIA slot, yes they used to have two of them, almost completely removed from the market now, and replaced with the mini PCI express slot.

Google Nexus 4 uses a little metal tray with plastic on the end to insert the sim card.

Oh this is exactly why Apple did this then, potential injunction issued against Google and LG in the very near future if not tomorrow then.

Cue nothing. I believe this is specifically for SIM cards and the methods to insert it. I dont believe anyone used tray based SIM card insert before the iPhone. Its not a very efficient method but it was Apple's own invention. Some one can prove me wrong on this, but as far as I know no one else used it before Apple. (always had to find a mech pencil or paper clip or something small and pointy to take it out)

Plastic trays for SIM card insertion have been available for a long time. Every single one of my Japanese cellphones used it. My Docomo P901iS (bought in 2005 - Panasonic) used it. My Docomo F905i (bought in 2008 - Fujitsu) used it.

All Apple is doing is just patenting crap that's already available.

So, after getting its nano-SIM card to be the next SIM standard, earlier this year, they have this patent granted. What's next? Sue all phone manufacturers to prevent them from building phones?

Plastic trays for SIM cards have been around forever. Man the USPTO has zero clue of the technology around them.

This is simply another patent that Apple will sue over and eventually have invalidated.

Plastic trays for SIM card insertion have been available for a long time. Every single one of my Japanese cellphones used it. My Docomo P901iS (bought in 2005 - Panasonic) used it. My Docomo F905i (bought in 2008 - Fujitsu) used it.

All Apple is doing is just patenting crap that's already available.

Looked the up, the only similarity is the tray. They look an operate differently then what apple just presented in the document. Hell the drawings in the document arent even the same as the way the iPhone 5 uses the sim tray.

Looked the up, the only similarity is the tray. They look an operate differently then what apple just presented in the document. Hell the drawings in the document arent even the same as the way the iPhone 5 uses the sim tray.

So if my wheel moves forward, has a slightly altered tread, and yours moves backwards they are different?

That's how much sense your post makes.

As mentioned before by others basically its damn obvious that the Patent Office has just totally given up.

I bet they are down to three staff now. One to open the mail, one to scan it and assign a patent number to it and the other to bank the cheque.

The essence and motto of the US Patent Office is " We Dont Care! Let them fight it out in Court!"

It's a scam.

. Another example may provide a plastic housing, the housing reinforced by a metallic shield and having a relatively uniform thickness.

This sounds like they are describing the damn phone itself....

As mentioned before by others basically its damn obvious that the Patent Office has just totally given up.

I bet they are down to three staff now. One to open the mail, one to scan it and assign a patent number to it and the other to bank the cheque.

The essence and motto of the US Patent Office is " We Dont Care! Let them fight it out in Court!"

It's a scam.

No it's actually perfect. You let all but the most erroneous patents through, that way you can collect the patent fee. Then you let the ones who want to dispute it fight out in court so that you can collect court fees. Then you award massive damages so that the company has to pay a bunch in taxes.

It's not broken. It's generating maximum revenue. If you were to correctly screen the patents you would spend a lot the patent fee money on man hours, and there would be no court fees or taxes. The way they do it now requires minimal work and maximum income.

It's how you insert SIM cards into 3G sticks and MiFis.

So, after getting its nano-SIM card to be the next SIM standard, earlier this year, they have this patent granted. What's next? Sue all phone manufacturers to prevent them from building phones?

Nope from what I was reading about this patent, it ties in to the Micro SIM/Nano SIM that Apple apparently invented, and are willing to share for free to the manufacturers (been hassling RIM, Nokia, and Motorola), as long as it becomes an industry standard, and providing the other companies using the tech reciprocate with their patented tech. So Apple want a free ride on anything they are currently paying a license on, or infringing, in return for something no one is using yet and hopefully never will (or someone else brings out their version of Nano SIM and shafts Apple).

Back