safe temperatures for i7 930?

sharknice

2[H]4U
I was getting poor performance in PlanetSide 2 so I decided I needed to overclock my processor.

I have an i7 930 @2.8GHz and I overclocked it to 3.2GHz.
My idling temperature is at 55 C and while I'm plying it usually stays in the low 60s and peaks at around 65 C.

PlanetSide is still mostly bottlenecking on my CPU so I'm tempted to OC even more. But I don't know hot I can allow it to get without damaging it or reducing its lifespan.

Youd probably need to go to about 105c+ to damage it unless you were really unlucky. Before then you'd need to disable the thermal cutoffs and other safeties.

As to what will hurt it long term...not really sure. I like to keep them under 70c, but 80c probably wouldn't be much worse. It probably depends more on the voltage.

http://ark.intel.com/products/37147/Intel-Core-i7-920-Processor-8M-Cache-2_66-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI

Not sure if I'm reading this right but it seems that 67.9C is the max? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Tcase max is the temperature that should be reached by the Tcase sensor, which isn't part of the cores (it's usually below them between the cores somewhere, so is much cooler, think of it as a "package" sensor), not the max for the cores themselves. The temperatures here are the core temperatures which are different. The thermal cutoff for a 920 is 100c too (and thats just a safe margin, you can usually push 5c+ above this). :D

Push for 4.0 to 4.2 ghz on that CPU.

Most people hit 4.0 Ghz pretty easy.

4.2 then takes a bit of tweaking for most, then 4.2+ takes a lot of tweaking typically.

As far as temps, mine doesnt really go above 85 w/ an h100 P/P @ 4.0 Ghz. I forget what vcore im running though :/

100*C, it'll throttle before you do any damage

Tcase max is the temperature that should be reached by the Tcase sensor, which isn't part of the cores (it's usually below them between the cores somewhere, so is much cooler, think of it as a "package" sensor), not the max for the cores themselves. The temperatures here are the core temperatures which are different. The thermal cutoff for a 920 is 100c too (and thats just a safe margin, you can usually push 5c+ above this). :D

Ah thank you then. :) Pretty embarrassing considering the fact that I used to have a 920 for a year and had it at 4GHz but I never let it go over 65C.

There is no such thing as a TCase temperature sensor. The only way to correctly measure TCase is to cut a groove into the top of the heat spreader on the CPU and mount a thermocouple at the geometric center. Not too many people want to hack up their CPU with a Dremel so the TCase spec is a meaningless number for the typical end user. TCase is intended to be used by computer manufacturers, not individual users.

Intel typically sets the thermal shutdown temperature for their CPUs to 25C to 30C beyond the thermal throttling temperature. If your CPU throttles at a peak core temperature of 100C, it won't set the THERMAL TRIP bit and shut down until the core temperature hits 125C to 130C. You have lots of headroom to push that CPU to 4000 MHz. :)

Back