Facebook Releases Poke App for Self-Destructing Messages

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Facebook has released the standalone version of ‘Poke’ for iOS this week, allowing users to send messages, pictures or videos to others without the fear of having them reproduced on the Internet due to their short life span. The service has been known to foster a rise in sexting since they are most likely not to be seen by anyone other than the receipient.

The messages expire after a set period of time, from 1 to 10 seconds, and cannot be retrieved by either party again. This makes the app perfect for sending salacious images without leaving a trail.

And suddenly screen-cap app purchases rise 300%. Why we haven't wiped ourselves out yet is always a mystery to me... I for one welcome our new grey goo overlords.

Why buy something that's built into most devices? (Hold power button and tab home button).

You need to keep touching the screen to keep the Facebook message visible, so I don't think it's possible to also take a screen capture using the method you mentioned.

Why buy something that's built into most devices? (Hold power button and tab home button).

I would assume this was considered and in most cases the default screen capture was defeated somehow.

Is that what poke does? All I ever see is "blah blah has poked you" and I delete it. then they do it again, *cycle repeats*

The messages expire after a set period of time, from 1 to 10 seconds, and cannot be retrieved by either party again.

Pretty sure "cannot be retrieved by either party again" excludes FB itself

Pretty sure "cannot be retrieved by either party again" excludes FB itself

You can bet thats true. Oh, sending pictures of your junk to someone? We will keep this on record in case big brother ever needs it.

Without fear of them being reproduced? How long does it take someone to save a picture to their phone or computer?

You need to keep touching the screen to keep the Facebook message visible, so I don't think it's possible to also take a screen capture using the method you mentioned.
Use shake-to-capture apps instead.

Back