tonight's craiglist score: i7 980x

bigted

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - Oct. 2013
so i scored an i7 980x on craigslist and wanted to brag.

not sure if i'll take the trouble to replace my 920 or not, 6 cores is tempting.

as a bonus i got an HP OEM Asus board and 12gb samsung ram with it.

so here's a question, what's the "extreme" get me with this processor? unlocked multiplier? is that it?

Unlocked multiplier... Also being Gulftown the IMC handles large pools of memory I.e. 3*4/6*2/6*4GB with lower imc voltage needed at the same speed rating

Unlocked multiplier... Also being Gulftown the IMC handles large pools of memory I.e. 3*4/6*2/6*4GB with lower imc voltage needed at the same speed rating

does this mean i can tighten my ram timings lower than what the 920 could handle?

i do have 6*4gb 1600 rams

does this mean i can tighten my ram timings lower than what the 920 could handle?

i do have 6*4gb 1600 rams

It means you can run 1600mHz or higher DIMMs and not need as much QPI/DRAM voltage which in turn means less heat at the same resultant overclock frequency. Nehalem always needed ludricrous IMC voltages to run 1600+ mHz RAM, Gulftown it isn't near as much of an issue.

Gulftown hexen chips are power vampires though. Many board's VRM get toasty trying to handle it....some don't handle it at all when you push things hard IIRC.

It means you can run 1600mHz or higher DIMMs and not need as much QPI/DRAM voltage which in turn means less heat at the same resultant overclock frequency. Nehalem always needed ludricrous IMC voltages to run 1600+ mHz RAM, Gulftown it isn't near as much of an issue.

Gulftown hexen chips are power vampires though. Many board's VRM get toasty trying to handle it....some don't handle it at all when you push things hard IIRC.

thanks for the info!

Yeah, a score implies you got a good deal, anyone can get their hands on a 980x or 990x, but getting a good deal on one is a different story...

$300 for it all, chip, matx pos mobo and 12gb ram. Figured I could sell the mobo ram and my 920 for like 175ish.

Last edited:
I suppose if you need more cores/power or not? If not ill look after it. :D

+2 Cores (+4 threads)
Unlocked multi (so it can usually go a little higher)
The 930/950 run cooler than the 920s usually so that might be a plus. Though i've never used a 980.

Nice score, I remember building a 980x rig back when I wanted my first real performance machine. What a huge upgrade it was from my 955BE. I tweaked with it for a while and eventually settled at 4.4ghz with the all-new H50 liquid cooler at the time. Its definitely a faster chip than the 920 though it does use a ton of power.

$300 for it all, chip, matx pos mobo and 12gb ram. Figured I could sell the mobo ram and my 920 for like 175ish.
$325 was what I sold an engineering sample i7 965, asrock extreme6 x58 mobo, 6gb mem, h60....

But $300 for a 980x combo is pretty bad ass!

CL is awesome man, specially if you live in areas where there are a lot of PC enthusiasts.

$325 was what I sold an engineering sample i7 965, asrock extreme6 x58 mobo, 6gb mem, h60....

But $300 for a 980x combo is pretty bad ass!

CL is awesome man, specially if you live in areas where there are a lot of PC enthusiasts.

I'm in a college town, but not many enthusiasts, look at how this processor has spent its life, in an OEM basic matx board. The CPU power is only 4 pin on the board, I was flabbergasted by that one.

so...how much you want for it?

i might actually use it, but having to put it in my system is going to be such a burden, make me an offer!

PS, you can't take into account how much i spent on it ;)

Holy shit...steal of a deal and I got my refurbished i7 980x for $450 by itself. You can sell the i7 920 for about $110 max on fleabay (prices based on the Australian ebay though).

Heck would buy another i7 980x at those prices if anymore for my parents HTPC rig (have a spare Rampage mATX 1366 board).

Hey I scored my 980x from craigslist almost 2 years ago a few months after it came out. I got mine for $700 which was an absolute steal back then, so $300 is a very good deal. The 990x is still listed at my local Fry's store for $899.

Two years later, this machine is still very very fast. not going to replace it until at least Dec of 2013 or later until I can go with 8 cores or more on a single CPU from Intel.

Have fun with your 980x.

Wow, you guys find some great deals :)!

For the enthusiest sector, the 980x's are my favorite chip of all time. Even the current 3630k at $550 isn't as good deal as a 980x years and years ago if you compare what the competition had to offer at the time. Plus I prefer the memory controllers of the previous gen CPU's (prior to SB).

well, i went and did it, i changed out the 920 i had and put in the 980x. i am internetting so much harder now!!

also, the 920, mobo and 12gb ram is for sale or trade! don't know if i should post the link, but it's in the FS/T section

specify team 33 and get yourself a passcode for max points

GO [H] !!!

specify team 33 and get yourself a passcode for max points

GO [H] !!!

done and done, where are these internet points you speak of? can i exchange them for certain services or goods? also, that DC area speaks weird...

OK

Turning off the red cards was a good move. They are not as well supported for FAH as team green and eat up so much CPU time that you tend to get better points idling them and just running SMP.

Is the 430 in the same rig?

OK

Turning off the red cards was a good move. They are not as well supported for FAH as team green and eat up so much CPU time that you tend to get better points idling them and just running SMP.

Is the 430 in the same rig?

it is and my ppd went up when i disabled the amds and enabled the nv card

impressive

Getting back to your earlier question, no, folding just cures disease, no reward except the adulation of your team and knowing you are doing good. What are your power rates? Your red cards would mine Bitcoin but it is pretty tight to break even these days.

a-ha, you are incorrect about no rewards, i saw a thread that you get genmay access at 500,000 pts, so maybe one day i will join back into that area of the [H]. don't know about my power, don't have a killawatt, but not too worried about it, for a good cause and all. and i've looked at bit mining, but wasn't interested enough to actually run it.

Yes, if the rough and tumble of genmay is your thing there is that. A lot of us fold in memory of, or in solidarity with still living, loved ones.

I did recently redeem my genmay reward actually...wow...those fuckers will eat your face.

just sold the i7 920, hp mobo and 12gb ram that i got in the original deal for $165 ($160 after paypal fees), so net out of pocket was $140 to upgrade from i7 920 to i7 980x.

The Core i7 980x is based on the Gulftown core rather than the Nehalem that other Core i7 LGA1366 CPUs tend to use. It has six cores instead of four and used the 32nm manufacturing process instead of 45nm. As others have pointed out the Core i7 980x also overclocked better, had a higher IPC and handled higher RAM frequencies than it's 45nm, quad core predecessors. Beyond that it did strain the VRM's of many motherboards on launch so not everyone had the best luck with them. It was best if you had a board designed with the 980x CPU in mind.

Back