Steve Jobs Superyacht Impounded

HardOCP News

[H] News
I've got bad news for this guy if he thinks Steve Jobs is going to pay the rest of his bill. The guy is a deadbeat. :D

A superyacht built for Apple Inc's late co-founder Steve Jobs has been impounded in Amsterdam because of a dispute over an unpaid bill to designer Philippe Starck, a lawyer said on Friday. Jobs, who died last year after making his name and fortune at Apple (AAPL.O), never got to use the yacht - called Venus - but had commissioned the French designer to work on the vessel, which cost more than 100 million euros to build.

I've seen the yacht,if this guy designed it,he's the one who should be sued. A 100 million euro pile of junk!

I've seen the yacht,if this guy designed it,he's the one who should be sued. A 100 million euro pile of junk!

He designed the interior, not the actual yacht itself. Also, he designed it according to Steve Jobs specific instructions. If you have looked through his portfolio he has done some pretty amazing work on other yachts.

Part of me feels this was simply an attempt to get more money by capitalizing on Jobs' death, but a larger part feels it is more likely the Jobs' estate doesn't want anything to do with it the Yacht now that Jobs' is gone, so they just are trying to refuse payment. Sadly I have seen this tactic used by other estate's quite often to refuse final payments on services rendered after someone is deceased.

Steve didn't pay for services he requested... obviously because he cannot now. The estate still should have to pay them.

Estates have to pay certain dept, I things like this should be one...

Basically what is happening (assuming there is a contract and the designer isn't trying to take advantage)...

Steve wanted this boat, ordered it, then died. His family or whom ever is getting the estate doesn't want it but more money so they are trying to get out of it.

I would think it'd be worth 3 million Euro's to just sell it. Even if they can't recoup the full amount from the ship, they'll get more than 3mil even if it's just scrapped (as it should be, it's fugly as sin).

Steve Jobs Superyacht Impounded

I've got bad news for this guy if he thinks Steve Jobs is going to pay the rest of his bill. The guy is a deadbeat.

KUDOS! to whomever penned that line, quite possibly the wittiest to ever grace these pages :)

Steve Jobs was a scumbag in life and, apparently, now a scumbag in death as well.

I've been a loyal reader of the [H] for over 11 years now but lately the Apple bashing and disrespect is starting to come off as tasteless and hate-mongering. :( I love this site and I love my PC (even my eight year old Ratzpad). I wish the attitude would change a bit, maybe not report on any Apple related news at all?

He should build an Apple store in it and make his money back.

and lol @ deadbeat

I've been a loyal reader of the [H] for over 11 years now but lately the Apple bashing and disrespect is starting to come off as tasteless and hate-mongering. :( I love this site and I love my PC (even my eight year old Ratzpad). I wish the attitude would change a bit, maybe not report on any Apple related news at all?

I am confused, should they just hide their heads in the sand? Apple gets plastered all over the news continuously, how would you suggest they not report on it? And do you suggest people shouldn't have strong feelings about a company and one of its founders, that while it may produce some great products, also has some pretty nefarious business practices?

without a doubt that is the ugliest boat i have ever seen in my life. was jobs high on morphine when he approved the design of that thing?

Are you sure? If the contract was only with Steve Jobs, the debtor can file a claim against the estate, but that's the first time I ever heard that someone else is responsible for a dead person's debt (again, besides the estate). If he waited too long, he might be out of luck.

By law whoever inherited Stevie boy's estate has to pay the yacht off, no exceptions.

Are you sure? If the contract was only with Steve Jobs, the debtor can file a claim against the estate, but that's the first time I ever heard that someone else is responsible for a dead person's debt (again, besides the estate). If he waited too long, he might be out of luck.

Actually, by law any outstanding debts are to be paid by the estate before any of that money is then passed on to the beneficiaries. However, if you are listed as a co-owner or a second on an account that is being drawn against, then yes, you do 'inherit' that debt so to speak. Although that is incorrect terminology. Rather the debt still exists, only now you are the prime owner rather than the co-owner or second. There are many more different laws and regulations involved especially if you have a private business that you used to purchase it through and were the sole owner.

So essentially what happened is there was still a debt owed by Steve Jobs, he passed away, then the estate owed the debt. Well the beneficiaries of the estate refused to give up any of the money, money that actually wasn't theirs to begin with.

Wow. That thing is absolutely hideous. Hopefully they dismantle it and sell it for scrap.

Its because apple has earned the hate mongering over the years from being a bunch of dickbags.

Pay the guy what's owed in the contract and move on.... i doubt the 3 million euro difference is going to change the ungodly amount of money that's left over.

This site is a nice change from so many other sites that spooge over anything Apple.

Unless I missed a sign somewhere that says "Apple hatorz welcome" on the front page of the site somewhere then more likely you're just seeing a cross section of the larger backlash swell that's happening everywhere.

There's a tolerance limit that consumers have to a particular type of nonsense that Apple consistently walks right to the edge of, and the arrogance that went with it has had a chilling effect and turned a lot of people off.

Back