The 30 Best Video Games of 2012

HardOCP News

[H] News
This list of the 30 Best Video Games of 2012 is actually pretty good. I can't argue with any of the games on the list, maybe the order they appear on it, but it is pretty good overall. What do you think?

The videogame landscape might look very different a year from now. Sony and Microsoft’s new consoles will either be looming on the horizon or already in stores. The Wii U and the PlayStation Vita will have had a full year to win over consumers and critics or risk the same fate as the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast. Cutting-edge computer games will continue to demand hardware few of us can afford. The 3DS will probably still be the best system we rarely think about. Tablet and smartphone games will continue to thrive while being treated as an almost entirely different industry by critics and players alike.

Okay
30. Never heard of this game.
29. Never heard of this game.
28. Sub-par Need for Speed game.
27. I have been meaning to play this.
26. Never heard of this game
25. MMO with no end game.
24. Should be much higher.
23. Never heard of this game.
22. Never heard of this game( but I am going to check it out)
21. Eh, lets water down the assassination with stupid mini games and side quests.
20. Going to check this one out.
19. Never heard of this game.
18. Never heard of this game.
17. Never heard of this game.
16. Biggest waste of 60 bucks ever.
15. Good should be higher.
14. Eh, the HUD was terrible. Halo 4 so not the worst.
13. Good should be higher.
12. Been meaning to play.
11. Never heard of this game.
10. Never heard of this game.
9. Never heard of this game.
8. Never heard of this game.
7. Never heard of this game.
6. From what I understand this game is clunky, but I might try it for 30 bucks.
5. Don't get me started.
4. Been meaning to buy this.
3. Console port clunky stealth system.
2. Boring.
1. Ugh. DO NOT BUY!

30? I cant come up with 5 let alone 30.

I agree.

I really enjoyed borderlands 2 and thought diablo 3 was fun.

The Walking Dead has a decent story but it lacks in game play. I think it has alot more potential if they can add more content that actually makes you think. The way it is now you are just going through the paces.

Most of those games looked like they could have been released on the SNES. I don't like seeing the glut of cheap tablet and smartphone games being lumped with real PC video games.

Okay
21. Eh, lets water down the assassination with stupid mini games and side quests.
5. Don't get me started.
2. Boring.
1. Ugh. DO NOT BUY!

I really enjoyed referencing your list. I agree with most of what you said.

Dark Souls should be on this list. Yeah it came out in 2011, but it's fucking Dark Souls; it should be on every "best of" list.

so some guy actually got paid to put together a list of "crap that sold in 2012"

granted he probably only got paid 20 dollars... but still.

so some guy actually got paid to put together a list of "crap that sold in 2012"

granted he probably only got paid 20 dollars... but still.

I think FarCry 3 should definitely be closer to number 1 than it was listed. Seems to be the only game in the last few years that I actually love playing.

I was really happy and surprised to see Dear Esther on the list. Surprised, not because it wasn't an excellent game, but because it is so completely out of the mainstream notion of what a great game should be. The game is beautifully made, haunting for how little is revealed about it's purpose, with an ending by which you can't help be moved. It's all the tension of Myst, but with an added bleakness reminescent of Liam Neeson in The Grey.

Anyway, didn't mean to get all fanboy there, but it was one of the few games on that defies being categorized by the question we always ask about games, "What's the gameplay like?" It's not an FPS, or an RPG, or action adventure or any category you can latch on to.

Check it out if haven't already.

I'd say this was the year of "good" games, but no really "great" games. At least that I've played.

I don't bother with ANY article saying the BEST ## of the year, blah.
They are only trying to get you to go through the list 2-4 at a time so they get more ad views and it requires little to no work to put together.

I will also say this, who has a RIGHT to throw together these stupid lists? Joe Shmoe? Paste magazine? Give me a break. Plus 30? If you have 30 Games in your best of list then why not 100? How about just one? Just pick one, and then that game can go home thinking how special it is.

Bull. Best game? Elf on the Shelf Snowball challenge.

Terrible list. I'm going to print it out and wipe my ass with it. I'll take the pain of the paper cuts.

Do any of you people even still like to game? Interesting list, I'd want to try most of those out.

The more I try to think of games I'd put on a "best of 2012" list the more I come up blank.

2012 was a pretty bad year for games.

I'm still playing games I bought in 2010 and 2011, but I didn't buy any game launched in 2012.

Interesting list, lots of indie titles. Cuirious of they are all that good or if it's just 'hip' to include them.

I did enjoy FTL though.

Dishonored, Far Cry 3, Sleeping Dogs and Diablo 3 soaked up a ton of hours for me this year.

Okay
5. Don't get me started.
2. Boring.
1. Ugh. DO NOT BUY!

I'm glad you made that list so I know what to purchase and avoid based on your super objective and unbiased quality information about all those games. :rolleyes:

All the games you've never heard of, so they must be crap or something?

You saying walking dead is an "Ugh, DO NOT BUY" doesn't work for me, as I quite like the game and thought it was very cool.

My opinion, most of those games looked interesting, and the few that I didn't hear of, will make me want to check them out.

I like lists like this since they introduce a lot of games I haven't heard of or forgot about, etc.

To each his own I guess.

If that is the best of 2012, this was the midst pathetic year ever for gaming.

All I play now is Guild Wars 2. How did that miss the list, but "Hotline Miami" made it?

I'd say this was the year of "good" games, but no really "great" games. At least that I've played.

I mostly agree with that sentiment with one exception, XCOM. I happened to think XCOM was a "Great" game. I also happen to really like The Secret World as well. I would probably classify The Secret World as a "Great" game as well, considering how much work they have put into it. People keep saying now that it is F2P they aren't going to do much to support it, yet I have seen new missions and dungeons pop up and they have put more challenging areas in some of the starter areas to make them still relevant for higher level players.

I'm glad you made that list so I know what to purchase and avoid based on your super objective and unbiased quality information about all those games. :rolleyes:

All the games you've never heard of, so they must be crap or something?

No problem that's what I'm here for

Eh, I'll check out the PC titles most likely, but not the PS3 or Xbox titles.

Back