Web Designer Sentenced For Creating Piracy Website

HardOCP News

[H] News
Offering illegal downloads directly from your site? The courts will come after you. Run a site offering links to illegal downloads? Ditto. Build a website that is used for piracy? You guessed it, they are coming after you now too.

Yesterday the now 24-year-old was convicted for assisting in copyright infringement and aiding attempted violations of copyright law. The Court ruled that despite only being a designer, he must’ve known that the true purpose of StudentBay was to infringe the copyrights of the book companies. The man received probation and was ordered to complete 75 hours unpaid work. He must also pay 42,000 kronor ($6405) in damages. The money he made from the site was confiscated.

What a load of Crap. "He must have known" is a valid legal argument?

It is NOT a valid legal argument. This is simply a steaming pile of BS.

This is worse than arresting the construction company that built a road because bank robbers used it to get away.

We need to start suing people in the federal DOT each time criminals use roads until this crap is STOPPED.

Hosting a forum/website where people talk about websites where you can illegally download software is not and should not be illegal in any way whatsoever. If anybody in congress or the senate propses legislation that would make it so should be tarred and feathered before being fired from their job.

What next, criminal charges against the construction crews and contractors who built the facilities these websites are house in?

I hope he gets life inprisonment. Scum like this don't deserve to be outside with innocent people. :p

What country is this? Is it the US? Europe? I can't read the damn thing.

I'm guessing the US, but who knows...

This is worse than arresting the construction company that built a road because bank robbers used it to get away.

Intent is important. If the road crew that built the road the bank robbers used to get away intended for it to be used by bank robbers to get away (and they could prove it) then they probably would arrest them.

With this logic, they should sue the company/people that came up with HTML - Yeah! Those fuckers invented ways to make piracy websites!

Good thing I didn't actually read the story. I would probably be brought up on 'reading a story about a guy charged for building a website used for piracy' charges.

This is worse than arresting the construction company that built a road because bank robbers used it to get away..

It's actually closer to arresting the guy who built the custom getaway vehicle for them. I still think it's a bit BS, but let's not pretend the guy had no idea what he was building.

so someone can sue Ford/Chevy because someone transported drugs in a vehicle manufactured by them? Lame.

It's actually closer to arresting the guy who built the custom getaway vehicle for them. I still think it's a bit BS, but let's not pretend the guy had no idea what he was building.

As sketchy as it is I believe that he could have built it so it COULD have been used for legal material. I mean if they just asked for some disclaimers for open source and public domain only stuff then it should have been fine.

Basically unless it specified illegal material he should be in the clear. It's not obvious the student bay was a pirating website, it could have been a file sharing site for open source and public domain software.

Unbelievable. And here I thought it was just the US that was this fucking stupid. Apparently the recent outbreak of stupidity cannot be stopped.

So... city workers that aid in installing power lines, which provide power to servers, which host ILLEGAL FILES!!!! should be sent to jail right?

And also the man that hires those city workers.
AND the man that hired that man..

Up to the president probably. Let's just put all the politicians in jail for aiding in the propagation of illegal files.

Anyone else think the MPAA and RIAA are giving really expensive gifts to those Swedish lawyers?

What country is this? Is it the US? Europe? I can't read the damn thing.

I'm guessing the US, but who knows...

Its the US. This morning the whole US switched to using the kroner instead of dollars. Didnt you get the memo? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

kroner, north east Europe? I thought it was legal to be a pirate over there :p

They should arrest the creators of p2p protocol since they must've known pirates would use it. And of course the inventors of the gun, you know murderers would eventually use it. And the nuke! You know someone would use it! Oh and autotune, you know someone was going to use it!

Its the US. This morning the whole US switched to using the kroner instead of dollars. Didnt you get the memo? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not so much theedge, more of thedick.

But whatever. I also asked what country, guess you didn't actually read the article either.

kroner, north east Europe? I thought it was legal to be a pirate over there :p

They should arrest the creators of p2p protocol since they must've known pirates would use it. And of course the inventors of the gun, you know murderers would eventually use it. And the nuke! You know someone would use it! Oh and autotune, you know someone was going to use it!

Actually I think that the creator of autotune being tried for crimes against humanity would not be out of line. :D

And yet somehow Craigs list escapes the wraith of government with all its sex trafficking.

Kroner... Hasn't anyone a least read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? Norway, for you people too slow to google it. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: and :rolleyes: for good measure.

People hacking with Macs and getting raped... pretty much your standard holiday gift book.

Im awaiting the jailing of all the people left alive from the manhatten project now... since they obviously knew what would happen to hiroshima and nagasaki.... as well as all the arms companies thoughout the world whos gunsmiths assisted in the murder of millions of people, and the knife makers, and the brewers.... but the best part is... those politicians who sent our troops to die in foreign lands... immunity....at&t and verizon, who assisted in capturing alleged terrorists prior to gaining immunity from george bush, immunity....

Gotta love the fucking stupidity of the courts to set this wonderful precedent for the rest of reality.... let the lawsuits commence citing this case...

And yes, we are coming after you kyle, for having steve linking to articles related to copyright infringement when you know damned well people who read them would goto the piracy websites within those articles and download illegal content!... you piracy assister! LOL

Im awaiting the jailing of all the people left alive from the manhatten project now... since they obviously knew what would happen to hiroshima and nagasaki.... as well as all the arms companies thoughout the world whos gunsmiths assisted in the murder of millions of people, and the knife makers, and the brewers.... but the best part is... those politicians who sent our troops to die in foreign lands... immunity....at&t and verizon, who assisted in capturing alleged terrorists prior to gaining immunity from george bush, immunity....

Gotta love the fucking stupidity of the courts to set this wonderful precedent for the rest of reality.... let the lawsuits commence citing this case...

And yes, we are coming after you kyle, for having steve linking to articles related to copyright infringement when you know damned well people who read them would goto the piracy websites within those articles and download illegal content!... you piracy assister! LOL
Now that you mention it, I wonder about this thread being used against Kyle because of everyone asking for links to certain things and posting links to them :eek:.

Stupid courts ruling on stupid shit.

According to the precedent... it must now be factored in if brought up... so in essence, yes, it is now a part of the law in that country....kyle is guilty...

But so is cisco, or netgear, or intel, asus, crucial, corsair, etc. whoever his hardware providers are for the website and the interface items he uses to access and/or update it... There is no possible way any companies components used in a computer cannot be held responsible for piracy now....

Do you have any idea how hard it is to disprove a conspiracy charge? You could literally have documented evidence you cannot speak, write, or even acknowledge someone... but one person can say you somehow rolled your eyes in a threatening manner towards whatever...while you blinked to get the fly out of your eye, and you are most likely guilty of conspiracy....

Thats the law now based on this precedent..conspiracy to infringe copyright....a completely bullshit charge that disallows "innocent until proven guilty" and instead nails you to the wall and allows you almost no defense...

Im guessing it will be overturned, but the kid who was nailed, will never get his money back, nor the time spent in jail/trial/doing community service... as he will most likely have paid the fine and done his time by the time its reversed....

As sketchy as it is I believe that he could have built it so it COULD have been used for legal material. I mean if they just asked for some disclaimers for open source and public domain only stuff then it should have been fine.

Basically unless it specified illegal material he should be in the clear. It's not obvious the student bay was a pirating website, it could have been a file sharing site for open source and public domain software.
But the site name ended in BAY, that in itself is a dead giveaway, what other proof could they possibly need? :rolleyes:

This whole piracy thing is getting way out of hand. The legal system now only serve the corporate's interest, to hell with the rest of us.

Back