ISP Walks Out of Piracy Talks

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like piracy talks have stalled down under because movie studios and ISPs can't agree on...well...pretty much anything. ;)

A leading Australian Internet service provider has pulled out of negotiations to create a warning notice scheme aimed at reducing online piracy. iiNet, the ISP that was sued by Hollywood after refusing to help chase down alleged infringers, said that it can’t make any progress with righthsolders if they don’t make their content freely available at a reasonable price. The ISP adds that holding extra data on customers’ habits is inappropriate and not their responsibility.

Good on them! We need some of that gusto in North America.

I think ISPs are slowly starting to realize that they, in fact, are not beholden to RIAA, MPAA, and other such douchebags. That they can actually tell them to screw off with the idea that they have to foot the entire bill and responsibility for policing something they have no business or interest in policing.

I can't see that ever happening here in the U.S. with companies like Comcast. It would be awesome, but I just don't think it'll happen.

Didn't Verizon recently say they were going to bitch-slap the RIAA/MPAA?

Something like that anyway.

Good hopefully this kind of thing will keep continuing. The RIAA/MPAA and the various clones in other countries are ridiculous in the first place, the fact that they think and thus act like they can do what they want needs to be put in its place hard.

Media Company: "Ok - we want you to thoroughly document every single user that looks even remotely suspisous - regardless if it actually is. We want a complete LOG of their activities with time stamps. Also, we need you to prove VIA spying on the user if they are indeed the person using the internet to commit piracy and not their neighbor. Finally, we want everything in a full blown report (WITH A COVER SHEET!) on our desk for each case with all the work/documentation to make the lawsuit easy.

ISP: "....<Silence>...." *Walks out of room*

Media Company: "Ok - we want you to thoroughly document every single user that looks even remotely suspisous - regardless if it actually is. We want a complete LOG of their activities with time stamps. Also, we need you to prove VIA spying on the user if they are indeed the person using the internet to commit piracy and not their neighbor. Finally, we want everything in a full blown report (WITH A COVER SHEET!) on our desk for each case with all the work/documentation to make the lawsuit easy.

ISP: "....<Silence>...." *Walks out of room*

You forgot, and we want you to pay to generate it, pay to store it, pay for the labor to manage it, pay for all our legal discovery involving it when we have a case, and that'll do for the FIRST phase. Also, remember that tiered pricing plan? Yeah, if this is effective nobody will use anything but the cheapest tier as we cut off netflix and other streaming services as not making enough profit.

Didn't Verizon recently say they were going to bitch-slap the RIAA/MPAA?

Something like that anyway.

The constant suing is what Verizon said they will smite out. But next year Verizon will be apart of the "6 strikes" thingy that will give consumers 6 chances to curtail their piracy if caught.

However in reality that entire effort is bullshit and really a smoke screen to keep the RIAA/MPAA of there backs. There is no chance an ISP is going to willfully discharge customers with the kind of money they make overcharging for everything else. It makes zero business sense to get rid of your customers because of activity you couldn't afford to enforce.

Bottom line as it was said already , RIAA/MPAA are in their death throws and trying to take anything they can down with them.

Cost is probably why this wasn't yet implemented in the US this summer like I thought it was supposed to be. I thought that by July 2012 the big ISPs were going to have their six strikes plan in action.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ISPs were trying to get the 'AAs to cut them a big deal on rights to use MPAA/RIAA content on their TV service in exchange for providing the ISP tracking service.

I'd be surprised if US ISPs told the 'AAs to bug off.

More like saying bars are responsible for drunk drivers, which they kind of are.

No, they aren't. Not any more than a sporting goods store is responsible for a gun crime...

You guys are going to open up a can of worms with this. Have you seen the news lately? Blame _____ for _____, is a battle that could give an aspirin a headache. Long story short, it isn't worth wasting your breath on.

No, they aren't. Not any more than a sporting goods store is responsible for a gun crime...
Actually they are, to a point. A bartender is legally required to stop serving you after you become intoxicated. How many bartenders do you think do that? Damn few, but good luck proving that in court.

RIAA and MPAA need to go defunct now. ISP's can't/won't/shouldn't enforce the things that they are being asked to do as they are ridiculous requests of any business. I know if I were running an ISP, I would tell them to take a long walk off a short pier.

MPAA/RIAA are dinosaurs trying to stave off extinction - and they know it.

Movies cost a lot of money. So the movie industry, despite all of its evils is still necessary.

On the other hand, the field of music would be better off if the big music companies all went out of business. They are just worthless middle men, leeching of off everyone, holding back technology, and promoting crappy generic music for the dumbest audiences at the expense of real talent and creativity.

[21CW]killerofall;1039431710 said:
Actually they are, to a point. A bartender is legally required to stop serving you after you become intoxicated. How many bartenders do you think do that? Damn few, but good luck proving that in court.

Well, bartenders that like a punch in the face would try to stop you drinking ? :)

I dunno with prices of games and software being alot more charged there, I'm not surprised about the aleged priating... just saying.

It's like blaming the Highways for the auto accidents (Information highway - Data)... good luck with that.

ISPs should demand that every music store (online or otherwise), provide data to every person that purchases any music, so that they can corellate that information with their data.

Hell, if it wouldnt be for music buyers, there would be no piracy. otherwise were would pirates get their music?

Just saying.

Movies cost a lot of money. So the movie industry, despite all of its evils is still necessary.

On the other hand, the field of music would be better off if the big music companies all went out of business. They are just worthless middle men, leeching of off everyone, holding back technology, and promoting crappy generic music for the dumbest audiences at the expense of real talent and creativity.
And yet I've noticed that some great movies are being made on budgets that amount to the loose change Hollywood would find in its couch.

For every block buster movie, there are alot of bad ones. Just like for every good album, there are alot of bad ones. MPAA/RIAA etc are ONE way to get these things funded. I prefer if we went back to the patronage model. You know.... kinda like we are slowly with kickstarter, some bands etc.

There are just simply too many people/organizations that think that have the right to know and control what I have on my computer. It's kinda funny that the activities that governments and organizations like the AA's engage in are the same sorts of things that blackhat hackers, malware/virus/trojan writers, and ID thieves do. It's also kinda funny that it's also the same sorts of things that the internet advertising industry does.

I can accept that there are certain things that need to be and should be considered "illegal". But, the high level of ignorance out there among overpaid CEO's running these outfits creates misplaced motivation to monitor, filter, and control every little thing I do online. From software installations forced on me by ISP's, every website that somehow must know what I have installed on my computer, and web-based operating systems that prevent my from filtering out things on my own....all the way to websites like Facebook that you NEVER really log-out of (using cookies to track and monitor every website I goto). It's bad enough that HTML5 has the ability to turn on my mic and webcam without my direct/expressed consent. Even schools and employers feel they have a right if not responsibility to monitor my activities through 'MY' computer.

I'm just so sick and tired of all this pure b.s.

It's not my fault that the AA's can't produce much of anything anymore that's worth having or that they can't change with the rest of the tech world. But it becomes my problem when I "LEGITIMATELY" purchase a dvd set that will not play due to THEIR worthless DRM tactics.

So.....if an ISP somewhere can actually stand up against all this crap....I applaud them.

Good on iinet, hopefully the other ISP's here start following this sort of trend later on

This is my ISP, it was started in my home town and this story gave me goose bumps. The Australian MAFIA tried to sue them and make ISP's in Australia liable for what their customers download and how they sruf.

The Australian version of the MAFIA lost miserably, now we're at this stage ....

MPAA/RIAA are dinosaurs trying to stave off extinction - and they know it.

No. Actually they're the mouldering, zombified remnants of trilobites complaining that they're extinct and complaining to the dinosaurs that they should attack us humans to somehow make it "not so".

Back