MPAA And Google Square Off Over Pirate Search Results

HardOCP News

[H] News
Imagine that, the MPAA still isn't happy Google's efforts at decreasing copyright infringement by downranking sites and removing piracy related search terms. :rolleyes:

The MPAA is still not happy with Google’s efforts to reduce online piracy and says that the search giant continues to facilitate a “staggering amount of copyright infringement.” For their part Google is warning policymakers of the damaging effects the recent surge of DMCA takedown requests is having on the flow of information online.

When will this stop? I mean seriously, will the MPAA EVER GET IT? They can't stop it, they need to embrace it and move on like everyone else.

If I was google -- I'd say "okay you don't like how we've tried to make you happy, screw it we will undo all the downranking and just let the results go unskewed and untampered"

There truly is no pleasing them -- even if magically no piracy existed tomorrow, they would find some new quest to bitch about so they could line their pockets some more.

If I was google -- I'd say "okay you don't like how we've tried to make you happy, screw it we will undo all the downranking and just let the results go unskewed and untampered"

There truly is no pleasing them -- even if magically no piracy existed tomorrow, they would find some new quest to bitch about so they could line their pockets some more.

This is pretty much what I'd do too.

Okay, that wasn't enough? Tell me exactly what's going to be enough. If it's practical to implement with minimal effort, sure, I'll do it. If not, F U and have a nice day, sue me if you wish, I'll see you in court.

meanwhile at MPAA HQ
qIwia.gif

Boy, the MPAA is getting really pathetic here. Do they even realize how bad they are looking now? I'm sure they don't since this isn't main stream news. Still though, this is getting out of hand.

When will this stop? I mean seriously, will the MPAA EVER GET IT? They can't stop it, they need to embrace it and move on like everyone else.

They haven't figured out that sticks alone won't solve the problem--game companies realized that giving people fewer reasons to pirate by providing superior access to products (read: Steam) does as much if not more than a gazillion anti-piracy laws.

Ultimately, it's not Google's problem to police the internet, they are merely one of many search providers.

The trouble is they're wanting the opposite things, Google wants you to find things, MPAA wants you not not find certain things. Its like suing window manufacturers because your can see your neighbor is putting offensive stuff in his yard.

Hmmm shall I watch a movie that starts with 10 minutes of "PIRACY IS EVIL" screens and trailers that you can't skip or should I watch a movie without those?

Pirates provide a better service, it's as simple as that.

MPAA reminds me of a shithead kid who's parents died. You can almost feel bad for him but he's just too much of a dick.

Google needs a doodle that is a big middle finger to the MPAA. They really need to just tell them to go to hell. Not sure why Google caved to these type of requests to begin with.

Boy, the MPAA is getting really pathetic here. Do they even realize how bad they are looking now? I'm sure they don't since this isn't main stream news. Still though, this is getting out of hand.

On the contrary, every time this stuff is reported in the news the media overlords believe they are getting their moneys worth.

But for people like me, it motivates me to find the best media experience possible. And that doesnt involve a Bluray disc that STEALS 10 minutes of my life before I start to watch what ive paid for.

I maintain my opinion of F the MPAA. Same goes for the RIAA and any other content provider who fails to understand reality... :rolleyes:

The primary thing that pisses me the fuck off about the MPAA is their stance on format shifting.

Bought a shitload of VHS tapes as a kid. Obviously I don't watch VHS tapes anymore. If I want to watch a movie I have on VHS (in storage now) I get a pirated copy. According to the MPAA I should repurchase the movie in DVD, Blu-Ray, or Digital format if I no longer enjoy the VHS format I purchased it on...otherwise I'm a dirty pirate hooker.

The primary thing that pisses me the fuck off about the MPAA is their stance on format shifting.

Bought a shitload of VHS tapes as a kid. Obviously I don't watch VHS tapes anymore. If I want to watch a movie I have on VHS (in storage now) I get a pirated copy. According to the MPAA I should repurchase the movie in DVD, Blu-Ray, or Digital format if I no longer enjoy the VHS format I purchased it on...otherwise I'm a dirty pirate hooker.
Also, many things that had a VHS/LD release never got released on DVD/BD, so your options are inherently limited, especially if you no longer have a VHS/LD player.

Google should just remove listings and results for Hollywood and the MPAA as well as any party or person associated with them.

Google should just remove listings and results for Hollywood and the MPAA as well as any party or person associated with them.

I'd be down for that, it would weed out all the rehashed shit (see pacific rim and compare to inframan)
hoRmd.gif

Back