Samsung Smart TVs Could Allow Remote Spying

HardOCP News

[H] News
Instead of you watching TV, your TV might be watching you! :eek:

It could give an attacker the ability to access any file available on the remote device, as well as external devices (such as USB drives) connected to the TV. And, in a Orwellian twist, the hole could be used to access cameras and microphones attached to the Smart TVs, giving remote attacker the ability to spy on those viewing a compromised set.

As long as my TV doesn't start talking to me, cuz god forbid I develop a relationship with that damn thing.

This "security hole" requires physical access to the TV. If someone breaks into my house just to stick a USB stick in the TV, I think I have some bigger fucking problems than whatever they see when they are spying.

This "security hole" requires physical access to the TV. If someone breaks into my house just to stick a USB stick in the TV, I think I have some bigger fucking problems than whatever they see when they are spying.

You cut me deep dude. :(

ReVuln’s researchers discovered the hole as part of research on the IP-enabled Smart TVs. The company, which offers information on security holes it discovers only to subscribers, declined to provide any details about what type of vulnerability they discovered, how they discovered it. Also, ReVuln said it does not plan to disclose the hole to Samsung or work with the company to fix the hole- in keeping with company policy.

classy...

isn't this true for anything that has a camera and mic?

If someone" owns" your laptop, or pc, or tablet, or phone, or whatever they can get similar access.

The issue here is a) an unlikely attack vector since most people wouldn't conceive of their tv watching them. and b) if the security hole is gaping and easy to access, such that a script kiddie could exploit it.

I think issues such as fusking photobucket or hacking a cellphone is more worrisome as that has more private details. I mention photobucket because it is easy and stupid people store "personal" pics on it and cellphones because we now live our lives through these devices, pics, contacts, business email, shopping, passwords, etc.

what are you talking about? if you bother to read the article you would see that it said in the first paragraph "...remotely exploitable security hole in Samsung Smart TVs." Seems pretty clear to me that you don't need physical access. Then towards the end they go on to say that the smart tvs show up on a LAN like any other internet connected device and it is easy to start trying exploits with zero securiity features attached to these devices. no firewall, user authentication, etc...

just read the article....

Back