960T to FX-8320/8350?

AjFreimuth

[H]ard|Gawd
Would also be replacing my HD6850 with something newer. Worth the upgrade? Rest of rig is in my sig.

I don't know myself, but I can offer that I've taken my 960T back down to 3.4ghz, lower voltage, X4...and with a 670gtx I haven't had any issues with games at 2560x1440. I run most settings maxed, but at that resolution, you can get away with certain things turned down as well. but since you're at 4.2 x4, I would say go with a video card upgrade first.

Do the video upgrade first and then see if you have any slow downs. Open task manager while playing your favorite games and see what CPU utilization is on the graph after you close down the game. You probably will be rarely CPU limited with a 960t. Better to wait for intel Haswell 2013 or AMD steamroller 2014.

Got that upgrade itch eh?

There should be some new GPU lines out for AMD/nVidia so wait.

What do you do the most with the system that you want to upgrade for? Gaming...Photo editing....modeling....encoding???

The FX lines has it strengths but reviews show its down in IPC (instruction per clock) a bit from Thubans clock vs. clock which FX can usually overclock a bit better. In gaming IPC currently has more influence than number of cores.

I wonder if you cpu unlocked? I'm on my 2nd ASUS (M3A78-T upgrade to M5A97-Evo) board and neither were successful at unlocking. Searching hasn't shown many if any x6 unlocks for ASUS boards.

As long as you wouldn't have to skimp on the video card to afford it, I say it would be worth the upgrade. I went from a 4 gig 1090 to this 8150 and once I got to 4.4, the FX was faster and now that I'm at 4.6 it is a nice upgrade. The Piledriver chips are even faster so anything over 4.1 I'd think would be faster than your Thuban quad.

Now all that said, if you're up for a platform change, then wait for Haswell which should be out in late March or early April.

I went from a 960T x4 @ 4.2 to an FX 6300 @ 4.7. Better performance all around for not much out of pocket depending on how much you can sell your 960T for. I would imagine an 8350 would be even better.

Thanks for the input guys. I will know tommorow or Friday for sue what I have to spend on upgrades.

I mostly game on my pc. Planet side 2, BF3, Dark Souls is what I mostly play now.
Not having any issues running those but I was also looking at selling my hannsG and getting a triple monitor setup. Which I Def don't think my 6850 can handle.

For video I was thinking of going with the 7950. I could stick with my 960t for now.
It also unlocks to x6 and is stable at 4.5ghz was even able to boot to 4.8ghz with bsod shortly after my desktop loads hah. But I didn't see that big an increase for me so I locked them again.

Back