Microsoft Balks At Apple’s 30% Fee

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft is crazy if it thinks its going to get out of paying Apple its cut of app money. I'm not saying they are greedy or anything but Apple would charge its own mother 30% to be on the app store. :eek:

Sources close to Microsoft have detailed to TNW a difficult, and perhaps unresolvable situation between the two companies that underscores the difficulty with certain Apple rules concerning its app marketplace, and how far the company is willing to go to protect its vaunted 30% cut of in-app revenues.

Screw Apple. My god they have gone from a great PC company to a money hungry consumer garbage mill. I miss the old Apple.

Eh apple wants a cut as long as the billing is linked to an apple account, i don't understand how the billing can still be linked to an apple account if you no longer use a iphone but w.e. I get the other part apple bitching about how M$ avoids their apple account by trying to get users to sign up though them and apple crying about that, it's greedy but w.e. 30% off a subscription bought after you already have the app installed is pretty jank, commission that high just for allowing it to be posted in the apple store and thus work is a bit wonky.

This probably screw the 4 people that not only use skydrive with the iphone but also bought a subscription though their iphone. Probably screws alot more dropbox users though.

... and yet turns around and wants to do this very same thing to all of its own community developers. Pot meet kettle.

... and yet turns around and wants to do this very same thing to all of its own community developers. Pot meet kettle.

Last time I checked, Microsoft doesn't try to take 30% of all subscriptions, regardless of if it's in-app or not.

Microsoft needs a Scumbag Steve hat

that+pic+is+in+desperate+need+of+a+scumbag+steve+_0422c242f00357f3ea3a504381ee3195.png

Gogo Photochop

I'm sorry, but after DECADES of licensing restrictions from Microsoft, I not only feel no pity for them, I seriously cannot stop laughing...

"You want a license for our OS? That's $X.xx for the PC, and $Y.yy for the server. Oh you ALSO want them to talk to each OTHER? Well, for no software downloads, and an additional fee of $Z.zz for each connection, we'll graciously allow that..."

So Microsoft, who charges for the privilege to allow two of their OS's to talk to each other is balking at another vendor doing the same to them? Screw 'em!

So if there is a version of iTunes distributed via the Windows Store, does MS get a 30% cut of everything?

So if there is a version of iTunes distributed via the Windows Store, does MS get a 30% cut of everything?

You can just bypass that quite easily via desktop.

This is just a case of Apple Microsofting Microsoft.

So Microsoft, who charges for the privilege to allow two of their OS's to talk to each other is balking at another vendor doing the same to them? Screw 'em!

I am not aware of what you're talking about Prophet. Are you talking about CALs? I take it you see no value add when you join a machine to a domain and enable remote management?

If MS sells something through a Windows Store version of iTunes does that mean Apple gets 30% and then MS gets back another 30% of that 30% (9%)? :D

Btw people
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694058.aspx
e. In-App Commerce. You may elect to support purchasing options from within your app. You are not required to use Microsoft’s commerce engine to support those purchases. If you choose to use Microsoft’s in-app purchase commerce engine, purchases will be subject to the terms of this Agreement, including without limitation the Store Fee and licensing and roaming requirements. You may not use Microsoft’s in-app purchase commerce engine to support the sale of physical goods from within your Application. If your Application uses a non-Microsoft commerce engine, you must disclose that information in the product description.

I am not aware of what you're talking about Prophet. Are you talking about CALs? I take it you see no value add when you join a machine to a domain and enable remote management?

I am talking CALs, and yes, I see no value in charging for software already included in the OS. When you get a CAL, you don't get a download, it's already baked in. But hey, why give someone something they already bought when they can charge for it. There isn't even a code to enable it, it's already there, you're supposed to be on the honor system to pay for the number of connections you're using.

The issue isn't the license fee itself but rather the fee is still collected on a monthly basis even if an Apple product is no longer being used.

All MS has to do is charge more for an Apple supported option, which happens to be 30% more. Then if the customer doesn't want Apple device support, they can downgrade to a everything else support option...

Though it sounds like Apple somehow gets their mits directly into MS's billing, which could make the above not work, but that REALLY doesn't sound right.

Yeah, Microsoft already does this and YET they're complaining Apple's iTunes App Store is doing the same thing?

Um... logic, do you have it, Microsoft???

ummm logic do you have it?

MS charges 30% to use its billing system, people have the option to use a different billing system with no charge by MS.

Apple wants a 30% cut related to pretty much anything the app can generate, no matter if through app, monthly or externally. Companies can't provide an app, and charge for services externally aka not through the app. Heck they can't even use services by apps (like Ms's Drive) that also don't follow Apples rules...

Apple wants 30% of the of extra storage space sold within SkyDrive, which they already got a cut from. It's not a new "app".

Apple wants 30% of the of extra storage space sold within SkyDrive, which they already got a cut from. It's not a new "app".

I don't think Microsoft is really selling that much extra storage space. If Apple really wanted 30% of it, they could probably get it cheaper by buying a few multi-TB SATA hard drives instead of asking Microsoft to share.

ummm logic do you have it?

MS charges 30% to use its billing system, people have the option to use a different billing system with no charge by MS.

Apple wants a 30% cut related to pretty much anything the app can generate, no matter if through app, monthly or externally. Companies can't provide an app, and charge for services externally aka not through the app. Heck they can't even use services by apps (like Ms's Drive) that also don't follow Apples rules...
People don't read or only read what they want to hear. Apple btw doesn't support 3rd party payments the article talks about how it's illegal for an apple to use a 3rd party payment if such a payment occur it has to be outside of the app completely. A strong distinction between windows store and apple's store.

Btw people
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694058.aspxe. In-App Commerce. You may elect to support purchasing options from within your app. You are not required to use Microsoft’s commerce engine to support those purchases. If you choose to use Microsoft’s in-app purchase commerce engine, purchases will be subject to the terms of this Agreement, including without limitation the Store Fee and licensing and roaming requirements. You may not use Microsoft’s in-app purchase commerce engine to support the sale of physical goods from within your Application. If your Application uses a non-Microsoft commerce engine, you must disclose that information in the product description.
If you avoid processing transactions though windows store then you don't have to pay commission on the sale. And you can use a 3rd party payment option provided it follows guidelines mostly dealing with security of the transaction.

Folks, this really isn't about SkyDrive, this is about Office/Office 365.

The article makes it pretty clear that this is about Apple having a problem with Microsoft offering a subscription fee for extra capacity on Skydrive and even not allowing people to purchase capacity thru the Skydrive app is not okay with Apple since there's still a potential subscription.

Even Skribbel RTFA and understood that part.

Folks, this really isn't about SkyDrive, this is about Office/Office 365.

Which doesn't bug me at all. I'm switching from the iPad to the Surface, anyway. No need to run Office on an Apple product anymore. iPad was just too .... limited? Great for a small tablet, but I need more power and control. I need Windows. I hit the same wall with OSX and Android. Just hit a barrier where I wanted a tablet to be more than a tablet. Surface is the answer to that. Don't want a full laptop, don't want 'just' a tablet. I want a tablet with laptop functionality. Bam. Done.

I seriously don't think Apple will bend it's rules or change them for Microsoft's benefit. It will have to apply across the board, and Apple would lose a lot of control and revenue.

I don't think Microsoft is really selling that much extra storage space. If Apple really wanted 30% of it, they could probably get it cheaper by buying a few multi-TB SATA hard drives instead of asking Microsoft to share.

You mean I have to post complete thoughts to be coherent?

It really is about SkyDrive.

Microsoft according to this article took out the in-app purchase option and Apple still rejected the app. This SkyDrive storage purchase option is small potatoes against the money that Office 365 subscriptions would bring. And of course SkyDrive is the cloud backbone for Office.

It can't be more obvious that SkyDrive isn't the real issue since Microsoft already took out the in-app purchase.

Microsoft according to this article took out the in-app purchase option and Apple still rejected the app. This SkyDrive storage purchase option is small potatoes against the money that Office 365 subscriptions would bring. And of course SkyDrive is the cloud backbone for Office.

It can't be more obvious that SkyDrive isn't the real issue since Microsoft already took out the in-app purchase.

I know you really, really want this to be about Office 365, but the thing with the deny after the removal of the subscribe option was because of this:

Microsoft has persisted in trying to work out a compromise with Apple, but has thus far failed to come to an agreement. The company offered to remove all subscription options from its application, leaving it a non-revenue generating experience on iOS. The offer was rebuffed.

If a service has a subscription option, it seems, and it is not listed in the iOS store, the application cannot, and will not be allowed. That is, unless you are small enough that Apple doesn’t bothers to check. I assume that smaller companies could slip under the radar.

I don't think this can be any more obviously worded and I have no idea why you're trying to make some other program that Apple doesn't even care about tie into this.

Microsoft has persisted in trying to work out a compromise with Apple, but has thus far failed to come to an agreement. The company offered to remove all subscription options from its application, leaving it a non-revenue generating experience on iOS. The offer was rebuffed.

If a service has a subscription option, it seems, and it is not listed in the iOS store, the application cannot, and will not be allowed. That is, unless you are small enough that Apple doesn’t bother to check. I assume that smaller companies could slip under the radar.
The TNW article doesn't even so much as mention Office.

I'm sorry, but after DECADES of licensing restrictions from Microsoft, I not only feel no pity for them, I seriously cannot stop laughing...

"You want a license for our OS? That's $X.xx for the PC, and $Y.yy for the server. Oh you ALSO want them to talk to each OTHER? Well, for no software downloads, and an additional fee of $Z.zz for each connection, we'll graciously allow that..."

TFA author got it right with barking. No doubt MS would like to keep Apple off their 30% cut, even more so if the service actually makes good money, but I would imagine MS has no interested to make it too good on hostile soil.

That article is about Office 365 apps or whatever, which are a different app than they SkyDrive thing. Two different issues...seriously. :(

No they aren't. SkyDrive is the cloud piece for Office 365, and if Microsoft and Apple were fighting over the subscription cut on SkyDrive, there had to be more to it than that, the SkyDrive money isn't even pocket change. Now Office/Office 365 subscription money, yeah, that's probably worth fighting over, especially considering how the Office 365 subscription works.

No they aren't. SkyDrive is the cloud piece for Office 365, and if Microsoft and Apple were fighting over the subscription cut on SkyDrive, there had to be more to it than that, the SkyDrive money isn't even pocket change. Now Office/Office 365 subscription money, yeah, that's probably worth fighting over, especially considering how the Office 365 subscription works.

Um...then how come I can get SkyDrive for free with a @hotmail.com account? The problem with the fees and preventing Apple's collection of them might be the same, but the same app doesn't work for both things. There's a SkyDrive-only app and it's getting denied. There's an Office 365 app and it's getting denied. The reasons might be similar but linking the two together isn't important and doesn't matter.

Besides, you don't own 8 pieces of Apple hardware so you're not allowed to have an opinion. :p

Back