Wi-Fi Enabled Smart Doorbell

Lockatron sound like there is going to be a hackatron for the fastest break in ever. LOL It is a cool idea but you are asking for trouble when you connect your door lock to the internet.

I have something similar, I managed to get one of these TSA devices when they replaced them with the less intrusive ones at SEATAC airport, so now I can watch the UPS cute guy naked. I am ordering one CD from Amazon every day...

I just had to tell him where to stand and that the big button on top is not the doorbell.

There are already z-wave products out there that do this stuff. Why would I want to support some kickstarter type project for the same price or more and then wait ages to get it when I could just go to amazon.com and have the stuff here by Monday.

This would be cool, just as long as it doesn't actually lock and unlock the doors. Just the notification aspect is good enough for me. And there should be an alert plus a loud alarm that will sound if anyone tries to remove it or blatantly tamper with it.

There are already z-wave products out there that do this stuff. Why would I want to support some kickstarter type project for the same price or more and then wait ages to get it when I could just go to amazon.com and have the stuff here by Monday.

I work for a company that does high end home automation and the only solutions we have that are as nice as this are Crestron based, meaning they're very, very expensive. The cheaper z-wave stuff is cool and we do deal with some of it for our Alarm.com customers but I'm unaware of anything out there that does what was shown in the video at the moment.

I work for a company that does high end home automation and the only solutions we have that are as nice as this are Crestron based, meaning they're very, very expensive. The cheaper z-wave stuff is cool and we do deal with some of it for our Alarm.com customers but I'm unaware of anything out there that does what was shown in the video at the moment.

Home Seer or Mi Casa Verde? You could set up a script to work with z-wave that turns on the security camera when the doorbell is activated. Not an all in one device or as elegant, but it could do the job. Not sure how easy/difficult it would be, but surely it's possible.

It should be cheap to build, a great Arduino or Raspberry Pro project to connect to the home network.
The most expensive part would be the camera, although I think all the doorbell cam videos were green-screened.

Just have a regular doorbell, and use a Foscam FI8910W as a camera.
6548232271_76ddc952e9_o.jpg

5769265349_d4614f7567_z.jpg

It can swivel around, you have two way audio, it has adjustable motion sensitivity, can be controlled with your iPhone too, and works well enough. And you can put more than one in your home, and you can monitor activity and use it as an alarm with multiple motion activated while you're at home, also accessible over any web browser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMoxOp7QWtE

For door access, Schlage has a very nice digital lock which is often on sale for $80 in various finishes. You can have various codes, including guest codes that you just activate for that day or one you can give out if needed and then delete later.

Back