FX-8350 only showing 6 cores

When I look in Aida64 or HWiNFO64 they both only show 6 cores.
In the Windows Device Manager it shows 8
What's going on, can anybody tell me ?
I have Turbo shut off and Cool N Quiet as well as C1, C6
I had been overclocking a little, I had the cpu multiplier at 20 and the front side bus at 220, trying to get my 4 sticks of DDR3 1866 that had to be run at 1600Mhz back up closer to 1866.
Do I need to ship it back ?

Sounds like aida and hwinfo need to update their software to me. Try latest versions

Last edited:
Sounds like aida and hwinfo need to update their software to me. Try latest versions

+1.

I wouldnt worry, as long as windows see's all 8.
They need to update their software for the new chips.

And what does a real-world application that's guaranteed to work like Prime95 see?

That's ok. My FX6300 idles at 3 degrees celcius according to temperature monitoring programs. I have a special 212+ on there :) I've been having a hell of a time getting overclocking programs to run stable on this machine.

I do have the latest versions.
how about task manager, do you see 8 monitoring windows for the cpu?
The Device Manager lists 8 and it says all the devices are working but looking at Task Manager it only shows 6.
I am using Windows Vista Ultimate 64.
And what does a real-world application that's guaranteed to work like Prime95 see?
Does that work for AMD, I was looking at the website and they just kept mentioning Intel.
CPU-Z also is showing 6 cores

The Device Manager lists 8 and it says all the devices are working but looking at Task Manager it only shows 6.

Indeed that sounds bad.

Run msconfig -> boot tab -> "advanced options ..." -> is # of processors wrong? Enable and set it to 8 and reboot!

OHH, ya did you upgrade CPU from a 6 Core and not reinstall windows?> if so xorbe is right.

Still install those hotfixes though, they are good anyway.

Indeed that sounds bad.

Run msconfig -> boot tab -> "advanced options ..." -> is # of processors wrong? Enable and set it to 8 and reboot!

Thank You !!!!

OHH, ya did you upgrade CPU from a 6 Core and not reinstall windows?> if so xorbe is right.

Yes I did, I figured just the processor from a 1090T to FX-8350 but I forgot about the Tweaking I had done. I had read about faster boot times by enabling 6 cores on the Boot Tab.
I'm sure glad I asked here before I sent the thing back.
Thanks for the help everyone !
Back to happily OCing.

I Found Your problem..
"I am using Windows Vista Ultimate 64"
Upgrade to windows 7 ultimate 64.problem solved:D

You're Welcome;)

great thred !!! i had to use it to get my 8350 in order. but no matter what i did the # of cores would not exceed 6 !!
i had to reset the bios to defaults to get everything right, then go back and redo all the settings.

Back