3-D Printed Gun Only Lasts Six Shots

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Gunsmiths were testing out a downloaded 3D prototype AR-15 on the range and managed to put six rounds through it before literally falling apart. The group is looking to perfect the “Wiki-Weapon” and develop blueprints for Internet distribution. Practice makes perfect and maybe they will perfect the plans and print a working model before the ATF raids the joint. At least the printer leasing company didn’t confiscate the printer this time. :D

They'll need much thicker walls than a standard AR, the gun would likely need a complete redesign to work as plastic.

if they use the other 3d printing materials it might not break that fast. i am guessing the plastic they used melted or something.

if they use the other 3d printing materials it might not break that fast. i am guessing the plastic they used melted or something.

If you watched the video, it clearly shows the plastic fractured. The video isn't even a minute long... it was THAT much of a bother for you to view it before responding?

Bahaha...I like how it literally just falls apart in his hands when he goes to see what happened.

nice prototype. i can only see this 3d printing thing taking off if someone invents a "industrial" grade 3d printer that can churn metal and print a couple thousand items a day.

damn thing only has to last long enough to get you another gun

why not use the 3D printed part to make a mold to make castings from? aluminum is pretty easy to work with even some thing like white metal might work well and can be worked with cheaply

Read your own links. At least one applies to you.

nice prototype. i can only see this 3d printing thing taking off if someone invents a "industrial" grade 3d printer that can churn metal and print a couple thousand items a day.

Closest thing we have to that currently is pot metal. Usable but won't last, either. Anything else would require thermal tolerances too high for 3D printing of any sort. Melting points are why gun parts need to be cast or machined.

they should have used a sintered metal 3D fabrication system, not a low-end resin printer.

If you watched the video, it clearly shows the plastic fractured. The video isn't even a minute long... it was THAT much of a bother for you to view it before responding?

Yep, better plastic that won't fracture and yet can be used in a 3D printer are whats called for...

Integrate buffer tube and stock with frame, metal line the buffer tube. Should fix that, I would think.

That part of an AR doesn't get hot. It broke roughly where the stock meets the lower assembly. So likely a moment was created by where his shoulder was fixated to the back of the stock which fractured the plastic. So yeah, they need to greatly increase the thickness of that area.

Integrate buffer tube and stock with frame, metal line the buffer tube. Should fix that, I would think.

Sorry, this is going to be anal but it's called a receiver extension, not a buffer tube. While not as big of a pet peeve of mine as when someone says clip vs magazine or uses "knockdown power" when describing a handgun caliber it still bugs me ;)

Carry on:D

only need a gun to fire once if you want to sneak it past a metal detector to do some damage

I think the problem is that it's made of a crappy plastic material. Yea, that's it. Maybe try making one out of duct tape next time?

Sorry, this is going to be anal but it's called a receiver extension, not a buffer tube. While not as big of a pet peeve of mine as when someone says clip vs magazine or uses "knockdown power" when describing a handgun caliber it still bugs me ;)

Carry on:D

"Clip" and "Magazine" are different things. "Receiver extension" and "buffer tube" aren't. That's beyond anal, it's needless pedantry.

Congratulations, humanity just discovered 3D Printing!

*Humans use it to build guns*

sigh

only need a gun to fire once if you want to sneak it past a metal detector to do some damage

Yep. Design it to look like a toy and you have a great carry-on for a plane or the perfect assassin weapon. Unregistered, only needs to fire once, extremely easy to dispose of. Nothing good can come of this.

This was in the plot of CSI last week.

Hitman was using 1-Shot 3d printed guns to be untraceable.

Hahahah yup, and the assassin was fricking allergic to the plastic the gun was made out of, which made it a hoot. "Oh hey you basically got lucky that the assassin is allergic to plastic yet kept fucking using the plastic gun"

Congratulations, humanity just discovered 3D Printing!

*Humans use it to build guns*

sigh

Far from it. The original RatpadzXT mockup was built on a 3D printer about a decade ago. Interestingly, that same printer was used to build a topographical landscape map that was used to plan out the second Iraq invasion....so you see, 3D printers have been used to kill people for a long long time.

Last edited:
Printed plastic guns are gonna be a nightmare for cops.
I'm not sure why--many handguns nowadays consist of mostly polymer/composite parts, with only the stressed parts (barrel, bolt, etc) still made from steel. The same is true in this case. The difference here is that they're making the lower receiver--it's part of the gun which has the serial number and is considered "the gun" when it comes to regulation.

Anyone can buy a 3D printer. If anyone can print their own lower receiver, they can buy the rest of the parts (upper, barrel, magazines, ammunition, optics, trigger group, etc) off the shelf, and have a gun without passing any background checks, or being subject to NFA regulations (for example, the restriction on automatic weapons).

One thought -- although a LOT more expensive -- the same type instructions/plans that work for a 3D printer to deposit material can often be relatively easily be used with an automated 3D milling machine that simply removes excess material -- from, say, about a 10x4x3 block of steel or aluminum.....(assuming that no large totally enclosed region is required by the plan).

Even if 3D printing isn't yet capable of making something at home, any decent low end machine shop can probably easily afford the milling equipment that CAN manufacture stuff of this nature -- and do it out of metal.

In other words, the entire automated manufacturing/printing/milling process if going to open up a MAJOR can of worms for the ATF, etc.

Another potential option for 3D printers that I have wondered about is one based on a technology I saw ten years ago or more -- that used a ceramic type material that was maleable but cured rapidly under UV light (basically very similar to the same material that dentists use for temporary fillings).

I saw a demo of a 3D printer based on it back in the late-90's at a trade show somewhere but never heard anymore about it.

The items that it printed were basically resembled your typical ceramic coffee cup (just not smooth) and were VERY tough and heat tolerant.

Hitman was using 1-Shot 3d printed guns to be untraceable.

In the Line of Fire was a movie that had the assassin (played by John Malkovich) who had hidden bullets inside a hollowed out rabbit's foot keychain and made it through a metal detector because he had one time use gun made out of ceramic. The idea is hardly new so I don't know what people are acting surprised over.

One thought -- although a LOT more expensive -- the same type instructions/plans that work for a 3D printer to deposit material can often be relatively easily be used with an automated 3D milling machine that simply removes excess material -- from, say, about a 10x4x3 block of steel or aluminum.....(assuming that no large totally enclosed region is required by the plan).

Even if 3D printing isn't yet capable of making something at home, any decent low end machine shop can probably easily afford the milling equipment that CAN manufacture stuff of this nature -- and do it out of metal.

In other words, the entire automated manufacturing/printing/milling process if going to open up a MAJOR can of worms for the ATF, etc.

uhhhh, google 80% receiver, it is done

Just 6 rounds?

31253190.jpg

Last time we had this discussion, people claimed it wasn't possible to make a working gun with a 3D printer. Well, looks like who's wrong?

uhhhh, google 80% receiver, it is done

Yes, this is not news to me.

What I am talking about is the fact that automated 3D milling equipment is becoming cheap enough for people other than large machine shops to afford.

In essence, forget 80% -- someone could simply stick a block of metal into an automated milling machine, enter the appropriate set of plans, come back in an hour or two, heat treat it, blue it, and have a 100% receiver.

From the ATF standpoint, this is MUCH more of a headache and more difficult to track.

If someone is ordering an 80% receiver, then there will be records somewhere and it's pretty obvious what they are planning on doing with it.

If someone orders or purchases a simple block of metal, it's a lot harder to judge the final purpose.

I honestly hope people focus using 3D printing technology for other uses other than building guns..

Its not the gun that makes a person dangerous. Its the person motive that makes the gun dangerous. A person can kill someone with a knife or anything. Just because a person doesn't have a gun doesn't mean it will stop whoever it is from killing someone. You could kill someone with glass from a broken cup. 3D printing is the future for all type of things.

The geometry of the receiver makes it a bit trickier to mill on inexpensive CNC equipment, I believe. Once you get to the 5(and up)-axis mills, the cost runs up quite quickly.

Another potential option for 3D printers that I have wondered about is one based on a technology I saw ten years ago or more -- that used a ceramic type material that was maleable but cured rapidly under UV light (basically very similar to the same material that dentists use for temporary fillings).

I saw a demo of a 3D printer based on it back in the late-90's at a trade show somewhere but never heard anymore about it.

The items that it printed were basically resembled your typical ceramic coffee cup (just not smooth) and were VERY tough and heat tolerant.
The UV-sensitive resin is used in photolithography--a wiper spreads a thin layer of the liquid on the model, then a UV laser solidifies the resin. It's been around quite a while. The only problem is that it's slow and expensive.

Last time we had this discussion, people claimed it wasn't possible to make a working gun with a 3D printer. Well, looks like who's wrong?
It was pointed out early on that they're only manufacturing the lower receiver/stock, not an entire weapon.

Yes, this is not news to me.

very well

What I am talking about is the fact that automated 3D milling equipment is becoming cheap enough for people other than large machine shops to afford.

In essence, forget 80% -- someone could simply stick a block of metal into an automated milling machine, enter the appropriate set of plans, come back in an hour or two, heat treat it, blue it, and have a 100% receiver.

From the ATF standpoint, this is MUCH more of a headache and more difficult to track.

If someone is ordering an 80% receiver, then there will be records somewhere and it's pretty obvious what they are planning on doing with it.

If someone orders or purchases a simple block of metal, it's a lot harder to judge the final purpose.

This has certainly been done as well. Fortunately...or unfortunately depending on your POV, an AR lower is a pretty complex shape requiring multiple operations with different tools from different angles, plus 3 sets of threads. You seriously have to learn some setup skills to bite off a project like that and have any chance of pulling it off.

Back