Windows 8 oem reinstall

CpuMan

Gawd
I have a buddy of mine that just brought me a new windows 8 gateway computer and he wants a fresh install of windows 8.

But all I have is the windows 8 pro upgrade dvd that I downloaded from Microsoft when I upgraded my personal pc. My buddy's new gateway is windows 8 (non pro)

Also there is no product key sticker, from what I have researched the product key is hard coded in the bios, so I doubt my windows pro upgrade dvd would work.

Is there a windows 8 oem dvd available for download somewhere so I reinstall it fresh that would work with the product key that is hard coded in the bios?

I really don't want to get it through bit torrent as Im not sure I could trust that its safe. All I want is a pure windows a dvd that would work for a fresh install on a oem windows Pc

I can't seem to find the regular version ISO of Windows 8 anywhere. I'm I the only person who has tried to do a fresh install of windows 8 on a new oem pc?

What if there needs to be a hard drive upgrade? There has to be a way to get this done?

You just use a regular Windows 8 disc. It will auto activate itself.

You just use a regular Windows 8 disc. It will auto activate itself.

That does not work, I get an error that states "the product key entered does match the image on disk"

Only thing is I did not enter a key, so it must be auto entering the key from the bios but the image for windows 8 (non pro) must not be on the pro upgrade disk I have.

It seems Microsoft has reverted to the xp days were there was a different disk for every version of windows.

sigh, something simple has now become complicated again with windows 8.

There seems to be no Windows 8 (non pro) disk available anywhere that I can find

You can't just use the built in Windows 8 reinstall tihng?

Windows Key + C, Click Settings.

Under General you will find the option to reinstall Windows 8.

Yeah I tried that but after 3 hours and it being stuck on 9% I cancelled and restarted the pc. Now the PC continually goes into a reboot cycle with a message "attempting repair"
It looks like I just hosed my buddy's new PC. Unless I can get a hold of Windows 8 Core (non pro) oem install. I'll either attempt to go with him to return the pc to Best Buy or buy him a windows 8 pro license.

I get people all the time coming to me to do fresh installs of windows. Today was the fist one for a windows 8 oem (non pro) PC. I did not see this head ache coming.

I guess I'll have to buy a non pro license with dvd, being I just do not see it available anywhere for download.

Wow the more I think about this the more I am confused. If I wanted to do a fresh install of windows 8 pro it would not work anyway being the install would fail with the message I posted above. This means my buddy's new Gateway oem PC is locked to a Windows 8 core version as far as a fresh install goes.

With out a windows 8 core dvd there is no way to do a fresh install.

I try to avoid this type of situation by declining to do rebuilds for software that the client can not provide the software for.
There is no recovery partition etc on the hard drive? I have no experience with gateway's, dells have a separate partition on the hard drive.

I try to avoid this type of situation by declining to do rebuilds for software that the client can not provide the software for.
There is no recovery partition etc on the hard drive? I have no experience with gateway's, dells have a separate partition on the hard drive.

Well I always considered the oem product key as client provided software when it cames to a OS reinstall. Most clients that I deal with do not have the OS media being they are just home users with oem PC's.

At any rate I have it all sorted out. I found a disk by reading the information posted at mydigital life.
They have the information on windows 8 official ISO images.
The one that worked for me was,
Windows 8 (x64) English
3416 MB
File Name: en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso
SHA1: 1CE53AD5F60419CF04A715CF3233F247E48BEEC4

Anyway just wanted to update for anyone else that runs into a similar problem.

Well I always considered the oem product key as client provided software when it cames to a OS reinstall. Most clients that I deal with do not have the OS media being they are just home users with oem PC's.

Me to but if I do not have access to the software a key does me no good.
Glad you found an answer and shared it.

At any rate I have it all sorted out. I found a disk by reading the information posted at mydigital life.
They have the information on windows 8 official ISO images.
The one that worked for me was,
Windows 8 (x64) English
3416 MB
File Name: en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso

Anyway just wanted to update for anyone else that runs into a similar problem.

I'm having the same issue.

I got a new PC as a gift and wanted to re-partition the hard drive so I could install Arch Linux side by side with Windows 8.

Unfortunately, when I resized the partition with Ubuntu, there were adverse side effects (neither OS would boot and I couldn't access the Repair Partition).

So I wiped the system and Downloaded a Retail Copy of Windows 8 Pro Build, but I can't access certain features since I didn't have a Serial for it and oddly enough, it doesn't read the Serial provided by my BIOS.

I've been searching for hours to see if I could find an OEM version of Windows 8 and haven't had any break throughs until now.

I was wondering if you could post the link to the Thread you mentioned on MyDigitalLife so I could find that ISO as well.

I would buy the OEM version of Windows 8, but unfortunately, it's not sold anywhere except for specific physical locations. It even says so on the Microsoft Website.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8#section_5

I also wanted to say "Thanks" for posting a thread based on this issue! I was starting to worry I may have acted to rashly in my act of re-partitioning my HDD.

::EDIT::
Found the site! Thanks again!

Wouldn't have found this as easily if it weren't for this thread!!!

:)

You can buy the Windows 8 OEM from Newegg (or Amazon)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416550

or Download the RTM version off of MSDN Legally

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/desktop/aa904949

My Digital Life supplies Magnet Torrent Links to the RTM (Release to Manufacturer) versions which are NOT the same as the MSDN images.

Last edited by a moderator:
Next time do a "slmgr.vbs /dlv", if sku is "CoreSingleLanguage" or "CoreCountrySpecific" you're screwed, if it returns "Core" or "Pro" then any windows 8 disk should autoactivate when detecting an internet connection.

Next time do a "slmgr.vbs /dlv", if sku is "CoreSingleLanguage" or "CoreCountrySpecific" you're screwed, if it returns "Core" or "Pro" then any windows 8 disk should autoactivate when detecting an internet connection.

So, let's say my Desktop BIOS is Windows 8 specific (not Pro or Enterprise, but the OEM). (It deffinenetly has the Windows 8 key embedded in the BIOS by the manufacturer, which in my case is Lenovo). The COA keys are no longer provided by Windows or the Manufacturer(s).

And I install the RTM, will the RTM of Windows 8 (again, not Pro or Enterprise, but the OEM RTM) will it "Auto Activate" and NOT prompt me for a Windows 8 Serial?

It came with the OEM version of Windows 8, but like I stated before, I wiped my HDD completely and I did NOT backup my Activated Key simply because I didn't do enough research before I attempted to "edit" my partitions on my HDD.

When I get a chance, I'm going to purchase the Windows 8 OEM from Newegg, but if I have an alternative option to save my self 100$ USD, I'm going to take it.

I already applied for the Windows Pro Update with microsoft and I'm waiting for them to E-mail me the serial and the FREE Pro Edition, but the reason why I'm asking this question is because I'd really like to avoid using the KMS activation method.

So, let's say my Desktop BIOS is Windows 8 specific (not Pro or Enterprise, but the OEM). (It deffinenetly has the Windows 8 key embedded in the BIOS by the manufacturer, which in my case is Lenovo). The COA keys are no longer provided by Windows or the Manufacturer(s).

And I install the RTM, will the RTM of Windows 8 (again, not Pro or Enterprise, but the OEM RTM) will it "Auto Activate" and NOT prompt me for a Windows 8 Serial?

It came with the OEM version of Windows 8, but like I stated before, I wiped my HDD completely and I did NOT backup my Activated Key simply because I didn't do enough research before I attempted to "edit" my partitions on my HDD.

When I get a chance, I'm going to purchase the Windows 8 OEM from Newegg, but if I have an alternative option to save my self 100$ USD, I'm going to take it.

I already applied for the Windows Pro Update with microsoft and I'm waiting for them to E-mail me the serial and the FREE Pro Edition, but the reason why I'm asking this question is because I'd really like to avoid using the KMS activation method.

It shouldnt ask for a serial or anything, I used this file:
en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso

To perform several clean installs on blotaed HP computers and never had to type a serial or activate by myself, everything was automatically.

If you have the chance to google that file, give it a try.

It shouldnt ask for a serial or anything, I used this file:
en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso

To perform several clean installs on blotaed HP computers and never had to type a serial or activate by myself, everything was automatically.

If you have the chance to google that file, give it a try.

Okay! Thanks for the fast response! I already downloaded the ISO and I'm about to do a HASH check to make sure it's clean. ::EDIT:: It's EXACTLY the one you referenced.

Crossing my fingers! It's going to be a long night :D but well worth it!

I just can't go without my Arch Linux :p ...if it comes down to it, I'll always choose Linux over Windows.

In this case, it's sentimental since it was a gift from my Dad and I'd like to preserve his investment, even if it means Dual Booting.

Good luck and make us pride! :D

Just wanted to say it worked! and thank you!

Windows Script Host reports that I have a valid OEM Core Edition!

I was NOT prompted for a serial AT ALL and my PC is back to the way it was with the exception of the fact that now I have a clear partition to work with to install Arch Linux in to too!

:D

Good information for repair techs moving forward. This should be stickied or added to a sticky somewhere ...

I have a HP Pavilion g6-2231tx Notebook which comes with a preinstalled OEM version of Windows 8.

Tried repartitioning the HDD and am facing the same problem as "xovertheyearsx" had faced.

I have downloaded the ISO mentioned by "MrsOldMX", burned the ISO on to a DVD n while installing, encountered the following error.
"The product key entered does not match any of the Windows images available for installation. Enter a different product key."

Searched for solution and found out that you can bypass the error message by creating an "ei.cfg" file and injecting into the Source folder of the ISO. Was able to install Windows 8, but after connecting to the internet Windows is not getting activated. Says "the Product Key didn't work. Try a different key, or a buy a new one." Also it shows "Current edition is Windows 8" and "Current product key - *****-CYQG3"

Where am I going wrong??? Any help would be appreciated.

Also can someone please answer these:
Q1: Does cloning the HDD with another HDD of the same model will work?
Q2: Does updating the BIOS erases the embedded product key?

Before stumbling into this Forum n this thread particularly, have tried most of the things that's been given in umpteen number of websites!! but No Luck!! Customer Care of both HP n Microsoft here in India are useless!! They are not even aware of the "Embedded Product Key" in the BIOS for OEM versions.

Its because the sku is "CoreSingleLanguage" or "CoreCountrySpecific", afaik there is no real solution for those skus and clean installations, but some guys at mdl forums modified a russian .iso and injected the en.-us language pack and activated with success, dont quote me but sounds like a lot of work :(

@ MrsOldMX, Thanks for the reply.

I was able to get the Windows Key from the BIOS (using RW - Read & Write Utility, But I'm not sure whether it is the Product Key or not. It was a set of Five characters in Five Blocks).

Burned another DVD with the found Key as a PID.txt, installation went on smoothly. Booted into the OS and tried activating, but could not be activated. It shows the Current product key as *****-CYQG3. I guess what I found in the BIOS is not the key after all...

Is there anyway to get a "CoreCountrySpecific" ISO?? Or any info on how to build one?

Thank you a million times! I had similar problems reinstalling Windows 8 on my NEW Lenovo Laptop, because it too had the key saved on the mainboard.
You just ended my agony trying to set up a new windows installation!!

But with the untouched Windows 8 version you recommended it worked like a charm! It automatically used the key from the mainboard(I guess) and activated itself after getting an internet connection.

The question is, why doesn't microsoft provide a Windows 8 download for exactly the purpose of reinstalling systems with this slic-bios table??
Anyway, it's microsoft so don't anger, just wonder...since it's working again I can now relax and go back using Linux 90% of my time :D

THX AGAIN, LOVE U GUYS ;)

Thank you a million times! I had similar problems reinstalling Windows 8 on my NEW Lenovo Laptop, because it too had the key saved on the mainboard.
You just ended my agony trying to set up a new windows installation!!

But with the untouched Windows 8 version you recommended it worked like a charm! It automatically used the key from the mainboard(I guess) and activated itself after getting an internet connection.

The question is, why doesn't microsoft provide a Windows 8 download for exactly the purpose of reinstalling systems with this slic-bios table??
Anyway, it's microsoft so don't anger, just wonder...since it's working again I can now relax and go back using Linux 90% of my time :D

THX AGAIN, LOVE U GUYS ;)

Hi guys,

I have a Lenovo t440s that came preinstalled with windows 8 but for some reason I switch to windows 7 without making a recovery disk. I would likte to switch back to windows 8 but I cannot find the windows 8 x64 core iso. I have only the windows 8 pro version from my other computer. Using RW, I was able to find my windows 8 key but I cannot use it to download the iso directly from microsoft.

Where can I find if my windows 8 licence is for "CoreCountrySpecific", "CoreLanguageSpecific" or none of these? I bought my laptop in Japan and I do not want to switch to Japanese.

Cheers,

Back