OCZ Vector 256GB SSD

HardOCP News

[H] News
Legit Reviews has the OCZ Vector 256GB SSD in house for a little review action today. You can see our evaluation here.

While we've only had the Vector 256GB drive with the Indilinx Barefoot 3 controller for a short time, we are very impressed with what OCZ has done. While 550MB/s reads and 530MB/s writes doesn't break new ground with a number of drives on the market that match these specifications, the trick is to hit these throughputs, or close to it, consistently.

I find it interesting that this drive's main competitor, the Samsung 840 Pro is missing in a LOT of these reviews. The all have the regular 840, but few have the Pro.

But what about reliability? OCZ makes me nervous...

This. Every review seems to tout it as stepping up the game, but didn't the Samsung 840's really do that a month back? I'm really having a hard time seeing anything other than just it being stable out of the box compared to its peers.

I find it interesting that this drive's main competitor, the Samsung 840 Pro is missing in a LOT of these reviews. The all have the regular 840, but few have the Pro.

AnandTech has the 840 Pro in their review, as does The SSD Review. The Vector seems to come very close overall, but is still nudged out by the 840 Pro. Given that they're both nearly identical in pricing, I'd go with Samsung just out of reflex, but I'm genuinely interested to know if the Vector turns the tide for OCZ's less than stellar product history. If increased reliability is followed by a pricing drop as fast as other OCZ drives, it might be a great option.

Back