AMD CEO Encouraged By Black Friday PC Sales

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like early Black Friday sales numbers are giving Rory Read reason to feel optimistic heading into December.

Results from the U.S. Thanksgiving weekend look encouraging for PC sales although it's too early to make predictions about the entire holiday shopping season, and the PC industry still faces long-term problems, the CEO of chipmaker Advanced Micro Devices said.

increase sales of apu notebooks derp! ;p amd's bread and butta, for now ,it seems...

a CEO being discouraged obviously wouldn't help their own stock price. CEO did his job of being happy and that's it. :)

A lot of the cheaper laptops and ultrabook wannabes in the BF ads were AMD APU powered. A few cheap desktops, too.

I wonder how many people are buying new pc's after realizing their tablet doesn't cut it

I wonder how many people are buying new pc's after realizing their tablet doesn't cut it

Honestly I don't think it's that many. I think most people get the notion that a tablet is more of an entertainment device and a laptop more for work.

A lot of the cheaper laptops and ultrabook wannabes in the BF ads were AMD APU powered. A few cheap desktops, too.

I saw zero intel labeled stuff at the major retailers. Made me sad to see so little SB/IB branded stuff listed. Was looking for a cheap test laptop.

Like Windows 8 for entertainment, and Windows 7 for work. :eek: :D

But Windows 8 runs all of the same productivity software that Windows 7 does plus supports touch entertainment like iPads and Android devices that can even work with keyboards and mice. So it's like Windows 8 for entertainment and Windows 8 for work.;)

But Windows 8 runs all of the same productivity software that Windows 7 does plus supports touch entertainment like iPads and Android devices that can even work with keyboards and mice. So it's like Windows 8 for entertainment and Windows 8 for work.;)

Two problems:
1) my intelligence feels insulted, so my productivity goes down
2) entertainment and work don't mix, they pull from each other

I'm just messing with you. :p Maybe I'll get 8 this year. Just haven't had a strong reason to yet. I'd most likely get a new system first.

Whoa whoa.

Back up the fucking truck. This isn't the showing of windows 8s grand success.

This is what has been shipped to OEMs, not sold to end users. A negligible fraction would go out to the public as a separate purchase. Now call your local newegg/tigerdirect/pcstore/bestbuy and see if they're sold out of windows 8.

OEMs bought lots of copies of Vista too. (And windows phone.)

Ballmer has already said sales were "modest", so this is just PR spin.

Whoa whoa.

Back up the fucking truck. This isn't the showing of windows 8s grand success.

This is what has been shipped to OEMs, not sold to end users. A negligible fraction would go out to the public as a separate purchase. Now call your local newegg/tigerdirect/pcstore/bestbuy and see if they're sold out of windows 8.

OEMs bought lots of copies of Vista too. (And windows phone.)

Ballmer has already said sales were "modest", so this is just PR spin.

This was a mispost meant for another thread. Damn you firefox, damn you!

Good for AMD. Lets hope their sales pick up.

Whatever AMD can do to feel encouraged is a plus at this point, if it drives them to

1) Continue and expand their Linux support, especially for GPU drivers
2) Get their collective asses in gear and make affordable, competitive, POWERFUL socketed CPUs and APUs.

There's some talk that Broadwell, after Haswell, will be moving away from an LGA package and Intel will basically be soldering the damn things to the boards; otherwise known as a giant "fuck you" to the Enthusiast market and the worrisome next step in us losing control of our computing, both from a hardware and software perspective.

I'd love for AMD to step up their game so Intel can feel just a teensy bit threatened. Intel has not only been resting on their laurels, but they've been dragging their feet on launches, jacking prices through the roof and generally fucking around. I've always favored AMD's ethics, so I'd prefer to buy their equipment if it can be relatively close to Intel and Nvidia offerings etc... but since they've lagged behind, its horrible to see Intel abuse their lead.

There's some talk that Broadwell, after Haswell, will be moving away from an LGA package and Intel will basically be soldering the damn things to the boards; otherwise known as a giant "fuck you" to the Enthusiast market and the worrisome next step in us losing control of our computing, both from a hardware and software perspective.

Although this would make sense for the tablet, all in one, and laptop markets I would be surprised if they do this for the desktop market ... the worst that might happen is they decide that the desktop is an enthusiast market only and shed some of their lower end entry level chips in favor of mid and high level chips ... time will tell

Did someone finally buy an AMD CPU? :D

Yes their hundreds of us on Techpowerup forums and overclockers.com. I have a FX-8350 Runs BF III and Sleeping Dogs better than I5 3570k and I7 3770k as far as FPS in Ultimate mode. I have mine running at 4.65 GHZ stable after Intel Burn Test. I overclocked the front side bus. Getting 7.9 score on Cinebench 11.5 64 bit for cpu and 89.5 FPS on Cinebench 64 open GL.. Defintely an excellent chip for $199 at TigerDirect. Also does my day to day tasks like winzip faster than ratings for I5 3570k. I also use it for my Photoshop work.
Unlike some , I never had to belong to a group to feel secure. I scientifically approach verything I do before I reach some opinion about a product or phenomena. So please lets put our pom poms down and speak from experience then we can have a much better dialogue here. Intel nor AMD pay my salary , nor give me free hardware, nor pay my bills. So I don't owe them anything. Nor do I think just because you like your Intel hardware that something is wrong with you. But if we are to compare each, Scoring pints is NOT the way to do it. WE have to see if the product meets your needs for the type of computing you do. Let's reason and try to figure objective standards that are reasonable. Let's also understand the directions that software application design and development are going. Then we can see if a chip design is built for today and tomorrow or not so.
Love to have friendly low-noise discussions with you guys. No breast-beating on either AMD or Intel, just scientific inquiry and evaluation. Keep me in the loop.

Back