EU: Banks Blocking WikiLeaks Is Not Against The Law

HardOCP News

[H] News
EU to WikiLeaks: No soup for you.

A block on processing donations for WikiLeaks by Visa Europe and other credit card companies is unlikely to have violated EU anti-trust rules, the European Commission said on Tuesday. On the basis of the information available, the Commission considers that the complaint does not merit further investigation because it is unlikely that any infringement of EU competition rules could be established."

Anyone got a hanky, I have to wipe away the single tear I have for WikiLeaks...

NO_SOUP_FOR_YOU_by_m26gil.png

So, increasingly irrelevant, shockingly insolvent, criminal banking institutions ban Wikileaks...

For everything else, there's Bitcoin.

It's unfortunate, but I don't think corporations are expected to support free speech through financial means. Trying to put legislation in place to protects it would probably be complex and may result in unintended consequences if not carefully approached.

It's unfortunate, but I don't think corporations are expected to support free speech through financial means. Trying to put legislation in place to protects it would probably be complex and may result in unintended consequences if not carefully approached.

No one is asking them to support it. Visa still gets it's cut for processing the transactions. They're just asking Visa to actually process (and profit from) the transactions Visa's customers want to make.

How about if Visa decided to block transactions related to a political candidate or party and curtail their fundraising abilities? We'd see a verrryyyyy different response from the powers that be. I mean, you could still donate to your candidate of choice with a check or cash, but I guarantee the politicians would have a hissy fit the likes of which we rarely see if specific parties were blocked by Visa.

ok, but bundling a browser sucks anyway with an operating system is totally illegal and fined in the billions.

What happened to that so-called Poison Pill file they talked about a year or so ago? I would think things would have gotten so bad for them they would have leaked the encryption keys by now. I was looking forward to knowing exactly who was behind the grassy knoll.

So a government that is outed by wikileaks says actions against its enemy is okay and will not investigate... who would have guessed! Of course the law wasn't broken, the governments and big institutions can never break the law or do no wrong, all hail Big Brother, we have always loved you.

Shouldn't banks be allowed to choose who they will do business with ... if the banks choose not to do business or facilitate business with Wikileaks that should be their choice and none of the government's business ... if there was really that much profit for them to be made here they would be supporting this business ... banks love money far more than they do moral high ground ;)

So, increasingly irrelevant, shockingly insolvent, criminal banking institutions ban Wikileaks...

For everything else, there's Bitcoin.

2/10 because it might work on the doom-and-gloom-guvment-is-gunna-git-me people, but isn't subtle enough for everyone else.

At least in the US I believe the phrase, "We reserve the right to refuse service" applies here. :p

At least in the US I believe the phrase, "We reserve the right to refuse service" applies here. :p

Of course if Wikileaks wanted to play the guilt card they could sell their operation to starving blind homeless African orphans ... then DARE the banks to say NO to them :D

from you, Skribbel, I will take that as a ringing endorsement...

Back