What’s the Games Forecast for 2013?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Since 2012 is slowly dragging itself toward the New Year, the gaming industry has been recharged with the success of the latest releases. We now look to 2013 to see what’s in the queue and how well the new games will be received by the gaming community.

Marc Saltzman of USA Today points out that it’s not just the big titles that will generate excitement, but the mobile and casual games, and mainstream reboots of indie games like Minecraft as well.

When Half-Life 3 drops the stars will align and the angels will cry. Every year before HL3's third coming will seem insignificant.

Nothing truly great will come until the next generation consoles release.

Until then, the 360 and PS3 sales combined are far too large a market to ignore, and so games will have to be made so they can play well on archaic hardware designed nearly a decade ago.

I'm excited for Call of Crysisfield 5: Halo of the Ragerim coming soon for Xbox 360/PS3/Wii U and a release on the PC about 7 months later that's followed up by a half-hearted, slightly buggy upgrade to DirectX 9 which gives me a two position slider to turn shadows on and off and another similar slider that lets me turn on lens flares! OMG I'm so excited that me and all my BFFs are going to camp outside GameStop overnight so we can be the first ones in line to get our stock-out voucher and promise that our discs will be in the mail in no less than three weeks with disc 2 mistakenly being a non-working copy of Encyclopedia Encarta 2006.

Strong chance of rehashed FPS games with the off possibility of a groundbreaking new IP, but that's only if the high pressure corporate front directly collides with a low pressure creative front.

Crysis 3 and Modern Warfare 4 mostly. Not many good games coming out anymore.

I tried Dark Souls on my PC and found myself uninstalling it not even 5 minutes into the game. Couldn't adjust my mouse speed in game, and I needed to press 'A' to loot a corpse. Of course A is for the Xbox 360 gamepad and not the PC keyboard. Had to Alt + F4 out of the game just to get out.

Doesn't matter if Dark Souls was a good game or not, cause I'm simply not dealing with a PC game that's so badly ported. Can't even go past 720P resolution. Can we at least start with good ports?

I'm hoping Metro Last Light will make it out the gates of THQ and am curious about Bioshock Infinite. Also, Strike Suit Zero caught my interest since it was first announced and I really want this title to be a good space shooter since such games are rare PC.

Ashbringer dark souls is made to be played with a joypad. Dont tell me you never heard of pc joypads. Also though i am a pc gamer myself some games are just better with a pad.

As for the resolution there is a fix around by a kind fellow gamer almost since day 1 of the release. I expect at least hardforumers to be familiar with community mods/fixes.

Go try pad plus fix. You are missing out on a GREAT game.

PS : thinking about it there is also a mouse fix around. But joypad is still the way to go for this one.

I tried Dark Souls on my PC and found myself uninstalling it not even 5 minutes into the game. Couldn't adjust my mouse speed in game, and I needed to press 'A' to loot a corpse. Of course A is for the Xbox 360 gamepad and not the PC keyboard. Had to Alt + F4 out of the game just to get out.

Doesn't matter if Dark Souls was a good game or not, cause I'm simply not dealing with a PC game that's so badly ported. Can't even go past 720P resolution. Can we at least start with good ports?

dsfix + ps3/xbox360 controller is solving those problems for me! :)

Looking forward to Bioshock Infinite, plus all the Kickstarter games that should be coming out next year. Also, The Last of Us if that's a 2013 title.

I'm excited for Call of Crysisfield 5: Halo of the Ragerim coming soon for Xbox 360/PS3/Wii U and a release on the PC about 7 months later that's followed up by a half-hearted, slightly buggy upgrade to DirectX 9 which gives me a two position slider to turn shadows on and off and another similar slider that lets me turn on lens flares! OMG I'm so excited that me and all my BFFs are going to camp outside GameStop overnight so we can be the first ones in line to get our stock-out voucher and promise that our discs will be in the mail in no less than three weeks with disc 2 mistakenly being a non-working copy of Encyclopedia Encarta 2006.
Wow... THAT was brilliant!

Completely agree about the port frustration. While people have said there are fixes and the game was made for a controller that does not diminish the fact that they were so lazy they couldn't even change in-game button prompts or add controller features.

People talk about a lot reasons port suck, imo its the simple usability issues with bad ports that really wreck the games on PC. Confusion about button prompts, no (or poor) exit ability, horrible menus, lack of basic PC features like mouse sensitivity.

Honestly I would say most of the above would be considered average port, the basics. A good port would add PC menus, better graphics, more advanced controller/graphic settings and even small tweaks to game mechanics.

Was 2006 the one with the quiz game in the maze or something? If so then I am all for this! :D

I SERIOUSLY hope mind-centric games don't die out... Like the Total War series... Or SoaSE.

I've been saying the current "Indie" phenomenon is exactly what the gaming industry was 15 years ago. A bunch of small start-ups that released a hit, then a bigger hit, then two bigger hits. They'll keep growing for the next 10 years until they are eventually merged into a few shitty mega-studios and this process will start all over again.

Can't wait for Simcity 5. I hate when it's a decade between games. *cough* Diablo *cough*

Grim Dawn, Planetary Annihilation, Path of Exile

I think that's it on my list so far..

with a few more Borderlands 2 expansions. Yippee - Ki- Yea!

Getting my shopping list ready :D

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Dead Space 3
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Bioshock Infinite
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Tomb Raider
Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut
Last of Us
The Last Guardian
Metro: Last Light

Was 2006 the one with the quiz game in the maze or something? If so then I am all for this! :D

I think it was 1995 that had the quiz maze game. When could you get a 2x speed cd-rom drive? Because we got it when we got that for the computer.

I have no idea. The first version I got was the 2009 one (also the last year it was released on disc) and that was back when I was just a little Skribbel. It's been so long that I barely remember what happened.

I think it was 1995 that had the quiz maze game. When could you get a 2x speed cd-rom drive? Because we got it when we got that for the computer.

I have no idea. The first version I got was the 2009 one (also the last year it was released on disc) and that was back when I was just a little Skribbel.

I don't know which year it actually was because I got it a bit later on (not sure how much, but I think 2000 ish so it was pretty old then) I remember poking around in the disk and finding it had all the national anthems and being really amused by them for some reason...(though I think that was a later version...)

They should re release that as a website or something! Thats kind of why CD-Roms stopped; when everyone had broadband. Also Wikipedia. :D

It's been so long that I barely remember what happened.

Basically you got really really drunk and then I loaned you $50k for something or other. I don't need it back right away, but 3 years... I am willing to forgo interest for the next 5 months. :D

Completely agree about the port frustration. While people have said there are fixes and the game was made for a controller that does not diminish the fact that they were so lazy they couldn't even change in-game button prompts or add controller features.

People talk about a lot reasons port suck, imo its the simple usability issues with bad ports that really wreck the games on PC. Confusion about button prompts, no (or poor) exit ability, horrible menus, lack of basic PC features like mouse sensitivity.

Honestly I would say most of the above would be considered average port, the basics. A good port would add PC menus, better graphics, more advanced controller/graphic settings and even small tweaks to game mechanics.

Namco/Atlus was very clear Dark Souls was a straight port and they didn't have the resources to put anything extra in it.

I don't know which year it actually was because I got it a bit later on (not sure how much, but I think 2000 ish so it was pretty old then) I remember poking around in the disk and finding it had all the national anthems and being really amused by them for some reason...(though I think that was a later version...)

They should re release that as a website or something! Thats kind of why CD-Roms stopped; when everyone had broadband. Also Wikipedia. :D

They did do a website thingey for a while, but it's been closed down. Honestly, Wikipedia isn't a bad thing, but I like the focus of Encarta and am sad that it's gone. :(

Basically you got really really drunk and then I loaned you $50k for something or other. I don't need it back right away, but 3 years... I am willing to forgo interest for the next 5 months. :D

Oh, that explains why I I woke up with a gag ball in my mouth and all of my limbs were tied to bedposts by ropes made of dirty socks. Once I found the sticky Alf costume, I started to get a little worried, but now that I know what happened, it'll be okay. Um...about the money though...will you take an old motherboard box with some random metal slot cover pieces and a scratched up burned CD that has some text files I downloaded from Project Gutenberg's website instead?

Back