yet another 27" 1080p ips monitor - viewsonic vx2770smh-led

livefastdieyoung

Limp Gawd
http://www.viewsonic.com/us/monitors/25-and-up/vx2770smh-led.html

first thing i'll say is: viewsonic is selling this for over $400 on their site. at that price, it's a ripoff. buy.com and newegg (limited time only, until 11/26) are selling it for $249. at this price, IT'S A STEAL.

unlike some of the other 27" 1080p ips monitors like the aoc i2757fh and the acer s275hl bmii, the viewsonic has a dvi input in addition to hdmi and vga.

i measured a maximum brightness of 290 cd/m2, minimum of 65 cd/m2, and in user color mode with 100/100/100 rgb defaults, a white point of 6560k, 2.2 gamma, and 1300:1 contrast. colors are very good out of the box in user mode, average Δe of 2.3 and a max of 4.

it will do 1920x1080 at 82hz vertical refresh over hdmi (with a very very subtle horizontal scan line effect like the aoc i2757fh). most likely over dvi too, except that when i tried it, it showed the screen all wonky, probably because i was using a single link dvi cable (don't have any duals on hand).

while overdrive isn't adjustable in the osd or service menu, there's no rtc overshoot.

input lag is very low like pretty much all of the other 27" 1080p ips monitors.

service menu shows the panel as lm270wf6-sap1. it uses pwm for backlight control.

3 year warranty which covers the backlight and the panel. unlike aoc's '3 year warranty' which only covers the panel for 1 year.

some niggles:

the person who designed the osd controls should be shot. the buttons are touch sensitive, not physically separated, unlit, and are located below and several inches behind the panel, on the base. so to make adjustments, switch inputs, or even turn the monitor on/off, you first have to channel indiana jones. there are five buttons and the power button is the middle one, so it's easy to power the monitor off when you're going through the menus.

the ag coating seems just a tad grainier than on the aoc i2757fh, but still lighter than on the previous generation of ips panels. the coating can be peeled off with a bit of patience.

tl;dr version: great colors, good response time, low input lag, 82hz capable, pwm, shitty controls, awesome buy at $249.

Last edited:
How are the pixel response times VS. the best setting on the AOC and the Acer when it's OD is turned off?

The Viewsonic is my favourite looking display of the bunch.

How are the pixel response times VS. the best setting on the AOC and the Acer when it's OD is turned off?

viewsonic claims 7ms gtg. subjectively i found it blurs less than the aoc and acer when their overdrives are turned off, which i needed to do to use those monitors comfortably because they had too much rtc overshoot.

the aoc has adjustable overdrive, but the i2757fh's overdrive apparently is tuned differently than the fm model that tft central tested. on the fh, even the weakest overdrive setting had noticeable overshoot (a little less than on the dell s2740l), and on maximum it was unbelievably bad - basically unusable.

overall, between the aoc and the viewsonic, i'd take the viewsonic, even if they were priced the same. panel variance issues aside, the viewsonic has better overdrive tuning, a more stable stand, a dvi input, and a better warranty. the only real reason to pick the aoc is its ability to run at 100hz, that is if you don't mind some pixel artifacting.

Last edited:
I wish i can find some reviews on this panel. I was about to bite the bullet on the AOC, but your experience of RTC overshoot on the AOC's, unlike the FM model from TFT Central, and the attractive price from the VS panel has made me hesitate again.

How is the back bleed and blacks compared to the AOC? Pictures are always welcome :D

Side note, i've noticed you bought most of these panels from Buy.com. I'm assuming they have hassle-free return/exchange unlike Newegg (i.e. no restock fee, etc)? Is return shipping prepaid (seems like it from the FAQ)? I've never bought from them before, and I'm mostly concerned about dead pixels.

How is the back bleed and blacks compared to the AOC? Pictures are always welcome

backlight bleed for the viewsonic was pretty much the same as the aoc - noticeable bleed in the lower corners, more on the left than on the right. this is going to vary a bit from unit to unit.

i got better better blacks (and thus contrast) out of the viewsonic than the aoc, but this may also be unit to unit variation as well. although it should be noted that the viewsonic uses the lg lm270wf6 panel whereas the i2757 uses lm270wf5. not sure if lg specs the contrast ratios on these differently.

Side note, i've noticed you bought most of these panels from Buy.com. I'm assuming they have hassle-free return/exchange unlike Newegg (i.e. no restock fee, etc)? Is return shipping prepaid (seems like it from the FAQ)? I've never bought from them before, and I'm mostly concerned about dead pixels.

yes, hassle free returns. however, like amazon, there are other sellers that sell through buy.com and they may have their own return policies. as long as you see the red '45 day returns' icon on the product page, you'll be fine.

they'll pay for your return shipping if they sent you the wrong item, the item was damaged in transit, or the item was defective.

no restocking fees.

viewsonic's dead pixel policy is 2 bright, 2 dark, or 3 total. but even if you've only got one dead or stuck pixel, i highly doubt buy.com would reject your return. especially since even one dead/stuck pixel at this pixel pitch is noticeable.

just checked buy.com, the price is now $319. maybe it'll be on sale on cyber monday.

i bought the aoc from best buy. they've also got a good return policy - no restocking fees and no need to pay for shipping when you can return the item to one of their stores.

Last edited:
How does this compare with the Dell 2740L?

i haven't personally tested the s2740l, but others have. all of these new 27" 1080p ips monitors use basically the same panels or variations of the same panel. things like backlight bleed and contrast will vary from unit to unit (even among the same model monitor). the s2740l has noticeable rtc overshoot and you can't disable it, if that bothers you. the dell is also extra reflective thanks to the glass front.

out of the box uncalibrated color performance set to user mode was very good on the viewsonic. i think the white point and gamma were closer to 6500k/2.2 than the s2740l that ncx reviewed.

I guess for 320$ this isnt to bad, but I'd rather pay the extra 50-100$ for the 1440p version. Has 1.5mil+ more pixels doesn't it?

I guess for 320$ this isnt to bad, but I'd rather pay the extra 50-100$ for the 1440p version. Has 1.5mil+ more pixels doesn't it?

if you mean the viewsonic vp2770, it costs more than twice as much. if you mean one of the korean monitors, yes, that's certainly more pixels for not much more money.

but these monitors are for those of us who aren't looking for 1440 displays.

mine came in today. This is the first IPS panel I've owned and the difference is apparent immediately. I don't think I could ever go back to TN again.

I just have one question: on black screens the monitor flickers a little bit. is this normal?

edit: this only seems to happen with the xbox 360 via hdmi. PC via dvi doesn't flicker.

Last edited:
Had essentially made my mind up on the AOC after mulling that and the Dell over for a few weeks. Now this one pops up, and to be honest, I reckon it's the best one. Looking forward to seeing some pics and user reviews.

I just have one question: on black screens the monitor flickers a little bit. is this normal?

edit: this only seems to happen with the xbox 360 via hdmi. PC via dvi doesn't flicker.

no, it shouldn't flicker on a black screen. i didn't notice it when i had my pc connected to it via hdmi. try connecting your pc to it over hdmi and see if it still flickers. also try another hdmi cable.

alright a new problem has arisen and this is much worse...
near the bottom center of the screen there is about a 2 inch by .5 inch area where there are several red pixels. this is most apparent on a black background. you can't really see them unless you get really close to the monitor but this is a pretty major defect imo...I guess I should probably RMA it?

viewsonic's bad pixel policy is 2 bright, 2 dark, or 3 total. so yes, you can return it to the retailer or rma it.

do the stuck pixels look like this by any chance?

XqwIE.jpg

how bright are the stuck pixels on yours?

that pic was taken off an acer s275hl bmii which i was testing, and i exchanged it for another and it had exactly the same problem, although the stuck pixels were dimmer on the second unit.

i didn't have this issue with the viewsonic, though. but perhaps it had stuck pixels that were very dim and i wasn't looking hard enough.

the viewsonic and acer both use the realtek rtd2483 display controller and essentially the same lcd panels.

at any rate, exchange yours for another.

they're fairly dim. you have to get pretty close to be able to see them, but its still enough that it will bother me knowing it's there so I will return it. I hope the replacement doesn't have the same problem.

Got one for review, aside from the anti-glare coating/sticker (white detail is replaced by sparkle), so far so good.

6800k default colour temperature
2.06 default average gamma
1200:1 contrast
No obvious dead pixels
Sleek design

The touch sensitive buttons are the best I have used.

Last edited:
I got my replacement today. thankfully no red pixels this time. I really wish it had a vesa mount, but for the price I paid for it I guess I can't complain too much.

i exchanged the viewsonic for another because of uniformity issues. the replacement i got back is much better, and has no backlight bleed either. it's a keeper.

i tried running it at higher refresh rates using a dual link dvi cable, but it didn't respond well to it. maybe the timings needed to be tweaked, but i didn't pursue it any further because higher refresh rates simply just worked over hdmi.

Got one for review, aside from the anti-glare coating/sticker (white detail is replaced by sparkle), so far so good.

i personally don't find the ag coating too offensive. it's certainly not as nice as semi-glossy or the lighter ag on the aoc i2757, but not as bad as on some panels.

I got my replacement today. thankfully no red pixels this time. I really wish it had a vesa mount, but for the price I paid for it I guess I can't complain too much.

glad to hear it. did you get yours from amazon by any chance? i saw a bunch of negative reviews there mentioning stuck red pixels.

Last edited:
glad to hear it. did you get yours from amazon by any chance? i saw a bunch of negative reviews there mentioning stuck red pixels.

nope, newegg. there were other reviews on newegg about the red pixels. viewsonic must've really had a bad batch or something.

I am sorry for resurrecting this but what overdrive settings does VX2770SMH-LED have? is it only on/off or something more along the lines of AOC equivalent (off->weak->medium->strong).

Back