RIM’s Blackberry Shares Climb Nearly 14% on Friday

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Friday was a very good day at the Research in Motion headquarters as the stock began to rise and kept on rising to close at a 14% gain. Investors are showing more confidence after the company’s announcement of the ‘early’ release of its Blackberry 10 smartphone.

RIM was once Canada's most valuable company with a market value of more than $80 billion in 2008, but the stock has plummeted since, from over $140 per share.

With HTC's problems and BB hanging on by a thread we need the competition to stick around.

If I held any RIM this would seem like a gift from gawd

SELL SELL SELLL

If I held any RIM this would seem like a gift from gawd

SELL SELL SELLL

Dunno. They might have another dip and go higher. Could be good if you have a little extra money to gamble with.

With HTC's problems and BB hanging on by a thread we need the competition to stick around.

BlackBerry's problems are easy to figure out. They just need to start making Android phones. HTC's problems are different, cause they just wanna make iPhone clones.

Before the iPhone ever existed, they made some innovative phones, and had a community that love to mod them. They simply need to make different phones then iPhone clones. I still believe that a phone with a keyboard is still very important to a large amount of people out there.

Everyone is jumping to Samsung cause it's at least capable of being modded. Something their fanbase really wants.

BlackBerry's problems are easy to figure out. They just need to start making Android phones. HTC's problems are different, cause they just wanna make iPhone clones.

Before the iPhone ever existed, they made some innovative phones, and had a community that love to mod them. They simply need to make different phones then iPhone clones. I still believe that a phone with a keyboard is still very important to a large amount of people out there.

Everyone is jumping to Samsung cause it's at least capable of being modded. Something their fanbase really wants.
Rim is evidence that qwerty keyboard phones are a segment that is disappearing.
Every manufacturer should have one model for the people who haven't discovered swype style keyboards. Other then that though, it is a dead market.

if rim makes an android phone it will lose any of the business market it still has. They need to maintain their individuality, which was working for them until they decided that marginal upgrades were awesome!

if rim makes an android phone it will lose any of the business market it still has. They need to maintain their individuality, which was working for them until they decided that marginal upgrades were awesome!
No, it was working for them until everyone else started producing superior phones. Marginal upgrades had nothing to do with it, their phones are just flatly years behind everyone else in terms of functionality.

The only reason RIM has as much business as they still have is because they're the only company with government security approved phones *and* tablets. Nobody else makes a tablet that has (quoted from Wiki) FIPS 140-2 certification, which makes it eligible for use by U.S. federal government agencies. In addition the Australian government also approved the use of PlayBook as the only tablet that meets its security standard. (Endquote)

The only reason RIM has as much business as they still have is because they're the only company with government security approved phones *and* tablets. Nobody else makes a tablet that has (quoted from Wiki) FIPS 140-2 certification, which makes it eligible for use by U.S. federal government agencies. In addition the Australian government also approved the use of PlayBook as the only tablet that meets its security standard. (Endquote)

and going with android will ruin that.

No, it was working for them until everyone else started producing superior phones. Marginal upgrades had nothing to do with it, their phones are just flatly years behind everyone else in terms of functionality.

you just said exactly what I said but disagreed with me? :confused:

Marginal upgrades lets competition come out with something better while you have to spend more to catch up, RIM never put any effort in creating a good, all around functional phone. By the time they did it was so far behind it was laughed at.

Rim is evidence that qwerty keyboard phones are a segment that is disappearing.
Every manufacturer should have one model for the people who haven't discovered swype style keyboards. Other then that though, it is a dead market.

I never could get used to Swype. It didn't make sense not to lift my finger from the screen to poke another key. Smearing around to type...that's just strange even if you do it for a few months.

It seems to work better for former crackberry users like myself, as typing on a touchscreen just isn't as natural. Obviously everyone has a different take on it. I like it cause I'm not someone who ever did more then minimal texting and it allows me to compose on my phone significantly faster.

Back