Mozilla Stops Firefox 64-bit Development

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like Mozilla has given up on developing Firefox 64-bit and it seems the decision is final.

Citing reasons that Firefox 64-bit is a "constant source of misunderstanding and frustration," the engineer wrote that the builds often crash, many plugins are not available in 64-bit versions, and hangs are more common due to a lack of coding which causes plugins to function incorrectly.

Dissapointing. I hope they get back to it. I'd rather have official support. I'll check out Waterfox after 18 or whenever Ion Monkey gets implemented.

On a more relevant maybe related they haven't seemed to move 18 out of Aurora into Beta in the Beta channel yet. :(

C'mon water fox is working well and its 64bit .

the only time i have problems whit is when the flash plugin cause it to get a bit laggy but still it is the fastest browser i have used (using a certain test)

I cannot believe that Mozilla is abandoning this . what road block did they hit where they just said screw it ?

Firefox for Linux always was, and still will be, 64 bit. Actually, it's also working on ARM, PowerPC, Itanium...
I thought with Windows 7, Microsoft managed to get out a proper 64 bit OS, years after. Looks like it's still a failure.

Seems like the problem is Plugins. The solution is to discontinue the 32-bit version and force plugin makes to adapt.

Builds often crash and stopped, would think they'd do that to the regular one with the flash support in the 32 bit version and how it went to complete shit after they tried to give it a safer external environment and how they still haven't reverted that change that made the browser absoutely useless for all things flash for so many installs of Firefox?

(The writer of this message has no affiliation with Google Chrome, but still thinks FireFox and MSIE are bloated slow pieces of shameful shit)

I like getting super emotional about my web browser. Sometimes, when it doesn't display a page correctly, I totally flip out and scream at my screen for a few hours, then I go download some other browser and do the same thing to it. Usually, I wait until my cat is out with his friends though since all the screaming upsets him. Thankfully, I found this completely awesome browser that doesn't need plugins to work and displays stuff pretty much perfectly. I think its called Netscape Navigator.

IE 64 has the same issues.

From where I'm sitting, wise decision. It's not really needed anyway. Why waste the resources?

This article is BS. They do not stop 64-bit development. They merely considering to stop nightly builds.

But but but, isn't their operating system going to be 64bit from scratch? Won't it need a browser? Do you cripple your new 64bit OS with a stupid 32bit browser? Me no ahbblah idiot. :eek::mad::rolleyes::cool::p

Bullshit is what I say. Thanks for the link on Waterfox.I'm downloading it right now and will give it a try. 64 bit is the wave of the future Mozilla. Duh!

I like firefox but I am not using near as much as I used to. It just runs slower than in the past, youtube videos have problems and logmein rescue locks up.

Why does a web browser need to be 64bit apart f4om epeen?

The browser alone doesn't need to be, but plugins (especially flash) are shit which causes the browser to need it. I never close tabs, nor the browser but every 2 days or so firefox starts going over the 3GB mark of memory usage and I need to kill it since the entire system starts going to hell.

At least I know it's flash's fault and not firefox.

Well, Mozilla just won the LAME award.

"Um, the plugin writers won't do 64-bit, so we're giving up". As someone else mentioned, just drop 32 bit support and force them to.

Gonna check out Waterfox.

I would have thought more people on this site knew about Waterfox considering it has been in development for a while.

i've been getting more and more disgruntled with ff ever since 4x
this is coming from a user who started using ff before it was even called ff.
i can't help but wonder WTF are the doing over there. seems like there is no direction and leadership has gone down the crapper.

Again another wrong article. What's with these lately?

They're only stopping the nightly builds. Development of x64 firefox continues...

eh... at least they were honest... "We suck at coding, and don't know why it crashes all the time, so we're going to stop"

I'm not going to completely absolve Mozilla here, but...

It's a volunteer project. If no one wants to work on it, and plugin developers don't want to cooperate, what choice do they have?

They aren't like Microsoft or Google where they can just throw millions of dollars at a problem and make it go away.

I'm not going to completely absolve Mozilla here, but...

It's a volunteer project. If no one wants to work on it, and plugin developers don't want to cooperate, what choice do they have?

They aren't like Microsoft or Google where they can just throw millions of dollars at a problem and make it go away.

Except Mozilla gets millions of dollars from their Google search deal.

I agree this article is crap. It is very rare that an entire team of software developers do not know why a product is crashing. Sometimes builds can become unstable because development of features / porting is proceeding rapidly. It then makes sense to focus on getting the build stable again.

Back