Time Warner CEO: Cord Cutters Not An Issue

HardOCP News

[H] News
Time Warner's head honcho claims that "cord cutters" are not the problem. According to him, people who have never had cable might be an issue though.

“It’s a good thing to have more of them,” said Bewkes, adding that multiple universal platforms are good for consumers because they mean the content industry “can’t be held hostage” to a given distributor. Despite his dismissal of cord-cutting, Bewkes did acknowledge the emergence of “cord nevers,” which are younger people who never acquire cable in the first place. For them, he said it’s not a question of money — “they can afford three Starbucks a day” — but rather different habits and expectations.

whats his response to people who have time warner for a long time, used the same modem forever, but just now this month start being charged a rental fee? It's not about the $3.95 either, but it IS bullshit. The modem has been paid for 10 times over.

I have never had cable, and probably never will.

There are plenty of avenues (legal and non) to watch content on-demand at my convenience without commercials. Paying $50/month just to see shows on air date instead of delayed one day is silly.

gotta agree with him, I mean how many people have you heard saying they'd ditch cable for hulu, netflix, etc.

gotta agree with him, I mean how many people have you heard saying they'd ditch cable for hulu, netflix, etc.

I'd love for a company to offer a "pay for what you want" type of service where you can pick the channels rather than this crap on TV now. I've been contemplating the move to hulu/netflix/amazon but they too need some work - lack of sports channels or it's too fragmented, where you start flipping between services in order to find something you want.

Sometimes I wish I lived in the stone age but then I remember even Fred Flintstone had a TV.

God damnit.

I'd love for a company to offer a "pay for what you want" type of service where you can pick the channels rather than this crap on TV now. I've been contemplating the move to hulu/netflix/amazon but they too need some work - lack of sports channels or it's too fragmented, where you start flipping between services in order to find something you want.

Sometimes I wish I lived in the stone age but then I remember even Fred Flintstone had a TV.

God damnit.

It's pretty easy to live without TV, netflix, hulu, or anything else. I'm pretty much off of any kinda media services and I don't miss any of it. My parental types are total TV addicts and it's just so annoying to hear like the endless noise. They actually start to feel uncomfortable if there isn't some show on with the volume turned up, even if they aren't paying attention to it and talking over it. :( I think it's just another kinda addiction that can be overcome. Besides, there's always a good book to read or a kitty to hug.

I dropped Dish Network for Hulu/Netflix/OTA. I pay ~$15 a month for nearly every channel I used to watch. The others aren't worth the additional $50 a month.

I told time warner to stuff their $100 cable service a long time ago, after I watched the same re-runs 900 times in a row on every single HD channel.

I have their 30/5 cable internet and they gouge me for $85 a month, no thanks on anything else.

I'm confused. Why would Time Warner care about "cord cutters."? People who cut their cable/satellite still want Time Warner content. So, it's not like his content will see any changes. Whether they get it from Hulu, Netflix, Cable, Satellite, etc, Time Warner still makes money on it.

Glenn Britt is the Time Warner Cable CEO, and he would probably say something different about "cord cutters." But that's because his business is based around people having Cable, while Time Warner is based around creating content and shoving it down our throats anyway possible.

You gotta get your CEOs straightened out. TW != TWC anymore. They are 2 different companies. People just don't realize this, still.

I dropped Dish Network for Hulu/Netflix/OTA. I pay ~$15 a month for nearly every channel I used to watch. The others aren't worth the additional $50 a month.

I currently have Dish, but I'd still be missing some channels I do watch, like the Science channel, Military channel, History2, and the sports channels. I guess it's not that big of a deal, but I just have to watch grown and muscular men prancing around on a field, y'know? It just makes me feel all masculine and shit.

Yeah well unfortunately that's not the system that's in place, you can't "pay for what you want" they have packages and they got you by your package. You can't just get HBO without having paying for "basic" cable, you can't get just the channels you want you get the 124 others that you never watch but they still like promote how many channels you get.

As to other options, it's possible but not always the same, for instance a very common theme in these threads is always there's one particular "premium" show that doesn't make it to netflix (or any of the others) until some time later (e.g. Game of Thrones) and that's justification to pirate... I always wonder why you need to justify to pirate, if you're going to download it, by all means do it. Hell if I really wanted I could get by with simply OTA, and a fast internet connection and see every show that I want that's on TV (often without commercials)

I currently have Dish, but I'd still be missing some channels I do watch, like the Science channel, Military channel, History2, and the sports channels. I guess it's not that big of a deal, but I just have to watch grown and muscular men prancing around on a field, y'know? It just makes me feel all masculine and shit.
I don't get those channels (they're not "basic" in DirecTV's line up) but damnit if I'm upset that "The Learning Channel" basically turned into a Jerry Springer channel with the programming they have from shows like "Which mom has ruined their daughters childhood" to "lets see if I can clear the front yard squirting this kid out"

I have HBOGo and Netflix and I think they both suck donkeyballs. HBOGo has Game of Thrones, so I get my fill of bouncing boobies and dragons (which are right behind water and air for men as far as the necessities of life are concerned), but past that they seem really lackluster in their movie selection. I've yet to give Amazon a try, but I did give one of those Roku boxes a go and it too seemed pretty limited as far as selection goes.

I just want perfection built around my needs and my needs only. Is that too much to ask for?

I just want perfection built around my needs and my needs only for maybe $20/month. Is that too much to ask for?

FTFY. That is the problem. Nobody wants to pay for anything. They will go through great lengths to not spend money. This causes, eventually, a dog eat dog situation.

FTFY. That is the problem. Nobody wants to pay for anything. They will go through great lengths to not spend money. This causes, eventually, a dog eat dog situation.

No, that's not the case at all. I just don't want to pay for 3 billion channels I won't ever watch just to get the 2-3 that I do.

How much reality TV can one person really consume before they start becoming paranoid and believe they're living in a 'Truman Show' type of world? Because that's pretty much what cable TV is nowadays.

No, that's not the case at all. I just don't want to pay for 3 billion channels I won't ever watch just to get the 2-3 that I do.

How much reality TV can one person really consume before they start becoming paranoid and believe they're living in a 'Truman Show' type of world? Because that's pretty much what cable TV is nowadays.

To be fair that's not the cable company's fault. The channels are generally owned by media corporations. IE. If the cable company wants to carry ESPN, they also have to buy the Knitting2 and PickleMaking3, otherwise the media company won't sell them ESPN. The cable company passes on the package to the subscribers, since they have to recoup their costs as well.

The only time I have had cable is when I was with the ex. Otherwise, it's just a passive timesink except for the sports if you are into that sort of thing.

I have never had cable, and probably never will.

There are plenty of avenues (legal and non) to watch content on-demand at my convenience without commercials. Paying $50/month just to see shows on air date instead of delayed one day is silly.
Yeah, because if nobody paid for those shows, they'd still make them anyway.

I get my fill of bouncing boobies and dragons (which are right behind water and air for men as far as the necessities of life are concerned)

I disagree but only because I'm more of an ass man. But of course I appreciate a nice pair.

Oh wait, we're talking about Time Warner. They suck ass. Can't get satellite at the apartment because of the trees in front of my balcony. In the 80's the cable pretty much never went down. 30 years later? Shit happens like once every month or so. Their equipment is at least a generation behind DirecTV, and the picture quality is worse than anything else. If at least they were cheaper than I probably wouldn't be so unhappy.

I just want perfection built around my needs and my needs only for maybe $20/month. Is that too much to ask for?
then
No matter what you want, they're going to find a way to make you pay for it. It's like buying a car; you're stuck with what they want to offer you. You don't get to choose what you want, because the cable companies know how much they want to charge you, and aren't going to give you what you want for less than that. Period. You want basic antenna reception stuff and HBO? $45 minimum, plus 'fees'. Or they'll give you a package for three years and charge you $79 a month 'plus fees'. Winds up as 90-100$ . Oh, you want two boxes for your sets (ALL channels are scrambled, so you HAVE to rent a box) That'll be 16.99 extra.
Face it, you're not going to be able to get just what you want. You want to just get ABC, CBS, Fox and oh yeah, espn msg and yes? Sure, only pay for what you want. $49.99.
For $20 you get over the air channels, perhaps in better reception than actual over the air antennas. That's all you're going to get. Oh, yeah, don't forget 'the fees' and the set top box. So now it's $29.99.

then

No matter what you want, they're going to find a way to make you pay for it. It's like buying a car; you're stuck with what they want to offer you. You don't get to choose what you want, .

That's not a very good analogy. The last time I bought a new car my options were almost endless and the dealer just made it happen.

I disagree but only because I'm more of an ass man. But of course I appreciate a nice pair.

I'm a face and leg man. Gotta have a cute face and nice legs. Boobs...as long as she has some and they aren't different sizes or lopsided.

------------

Anyways, Time Warner. I don't care. I hate any of these stupid bundled tv options. I want at most 3-4 channels. The Discovery Channel type ones. That's it.

Every other damn channel is just fucking reality shit. During the day, it's talk shows with Opera, Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil, etc. Middle of the day, it's all the court tv shows. End of the day, it's Real World, Jersey Shore, house flippers, storage wars, etc. That or reruns.

I'd rather just watch a lion eat a kangaroo or something.

That's not a very good analogy. The last time I bought a new car my options were almost endless and the dealer just made it happen.

Ya, you can have a car built to order....partially. I'd love to get a brand new Subaru Impreza WRX STI, but with no stereo, no power windows, no power locks, no ABS, no moon/sunroof, cheap wheels, no sound deadening, no carpet, thinner windows, no spare tire, no jack, and with power folding mirrors.

Will they make it? Fuck no.

whats his response to people who have time warner for a long time, used the same modem forever, but just now this month start being charged a rental fee? It's not about the $3.95 either, but it IS bullshit. The modem has been paid for 10 times over.

So buy your own modem?

I am not paying a pile of money to see a ton of commercials. Make it nearly free or free and I will think about it.
I am not paying the equivalent of a small hyundai car payment to a cable company, I would rather use the hyundai.
I have been incorrectly waiting for the cable business model to collapse, I don't understand how people find so much 'value' in something that is jam-packed with commercials, I do not see the value, I actually see a negative value in it.
I don't get it, I can get a discount in kindle if I put up with some commercials of sorts, I get free maps and traffic updates in my commercial-enabled GPS (small logos and such) but I have to pay tons for an ad-packed like cable of satellite, I really, really don't get it. Maybe that is why he fears the cable-nevers?

I never watched TV when I lived at home at all. Been out of the house about 8 years now and I watch a decent amount of shows on newer media. I have no real concept for how lucrative my usage is but I'm a person that would never get one of the packaged services piped to my house. Seems like there is probably a market to go after but I can't say I have any real educated guess regarding how much it should cost. I assume that since my current service offer more features than cable and more convenience in the way it's delivered with no commercials and all on a tray for me to select, it probably won't be cheaper from Time Warner. It doesn't seem like the current splintered approach will work very well either, though.

I have cable only because my house mates use it, or I would have nothing but high speed internet..I cannot stand commercials anymore, especially on the shows I like..I guess it wouldn't be so bad if it weren't the same set of commercials all day long..I mean, the EXACT SAME commercials 5 hours later..

I actually just download anything I want to watch, even though we have cable..It looks way better then the compressed shit that is on Demand, and since I pay for the cable access as it is, I don't feel one tiny bit bad about having a torrent program..

I miss cable a good deal. I have used Netflix and Hulu on and off, but have never been able to get all of the content that cable has offered. Hulu and Netflix are great for the major networks, but absolute crap for things like discovery, history, diy, syfy, etc.

If I could get cable TV for $25/m I'd sign up. But not for the $80 they want to charge me. Sure they may offer what I want at a promo price of $30/m for the first year, but after the first year the price literally doubles. Screw that.

I miss cable a good deal. I have used Netflix and Hulu on and off, but have never been able to get all of the content that cable has offered. Hulu and Netflix are great for the major networks, but absolute crap for things like discovery, history, diy, syfy, etc.

If I could get cable TV for $25/m I'd sign up. But not for the $80 they want to charge me. Sure they may offer what I want at a promo price of $30/m for the first year, but after the first year the price literally doubles. Screw that.

Yup and i am well aware of their profit margins i'd be pissed off at my Internet company for such exploitation of the market if i didn't need my Internet so dam much. And while i could probably afford 3 starbucks a day, i'm not going to because that shit is a money sink and i want shiny electronics so i can be [H]

I have DirecTV and only pay $35.00 a month (and some tax). I’ve been a subscriber for 3 years now. All you have to do is call and say it’s simply too expensive and they give you the promotional rate for another 6 months to a year. I’ve done this several times and they keep offering it to me 

While I don’t watch TV too often and can live without it, my wife requires it. If she had to miss one of her Vampire Diaries or Jersey Shore episodes, I would be a miserable man….. Her words! Might be empty threats, but I can’t take that kind of risk… :eek:

Lifetime'd Tivo HD + small antenna (I grafted it onto the old DirectTV dish mount on the roof...we're renting) gets a majority of the network shows (most of what we watch anyway).

We sort of intermittently pay for Hulu plus. Netflix is always worth it (kids use it a lot for My Little Pony if nothing else).

For me, the only stuff I need not on network is HBO (Game of Thrones) and AMC (Walking Dead, Breaking bad) - I have to jump through hoops for those. Too bad HBO won't offer HBO GO without cable service, my wife loved it. HBO's management are backwards-thinkers just like Time Warner.

Ya, you can have a car built to order....partially. I'd love to get a brand new Subaru Impreza WRX STI, but with no stereo, no power windows, no power locks, no ABS, no moon/sunroof, cheap wheels, no sound deadening, no carpet, thinner windows, no spare tire, no jack, and with power folding mirrors.

Will they make it? Fuck no.

Have you asked because many of those things they will do ex-factory. The only ones I can see that they wouldnt are the sunroof and the windows.

Other than classic movies (Megashark etc.) there really isn't anything to see on TV anyway. The people I live with pay for it, and on the days I am waiting by the door for a package or something, there's just nothing to watch and nothing really advertized that i wish to watch (looking through the schedule).

bring back firefly and we'll talk warner

Wasn't that cancelled because it was terrible? :D

These dinosaurs will refuse to evolve until they reach the brink of insolvency...the only thing they understand is reducing their revenue so proceed with the cancellations.

Back