Beware Card and Cash Trapping At The ATM

HardOCP News

[H] News
The holiday shopping season is in full swing and that means there will be tons of scumbags out there trying to scam you. These ATM card / cash trapping devices are a bit scary simply because they are so easy to make.

Many security-savvy readers of this blog have learned to be vigilant against ATM card skimmers and hidden devices that can record you entering your PIN at the cash machine. But experts say an increasing form of ATM fraud involves the use of simple devices capable of snatching cash and ATM cards from unsuspected users.

I simply do not use ATMs that are not inside of a bank. Aside from the crazy ass fees, I just don't trust them.

You don't have to use the ATM outside, my ATM card got skimmed when using the card reader that lets you into the front door of the bank during off hours. Now when I want to use the ATM I wait for someone to open the door for me or use a credit card. Credit cards can stop a transaction faster than if thieves skimmed and used your ATM card.

Yea my CC was jacked when using it at a 76 station for gas. That was the only transaction on the card for over a month, then suddenly im getting fraud alerts from purchases in florida (im in Ca).

I simply do not use ATMs that are not inside of a bank. Aside from the crazy ass fees, I just don't trust them.

I quit using ATMs years ago.
There are few things I need to have cash on hand for anyway.
And if something is coming up; we get cash from the bank to have on hand.

Yea my CC was jacked when using it at a 76 station for gas. That was the only transaction on the card for over a month, then suddenly im getting fraud alerts from purchases in florida (im in Ca).

That happened to me years ago at a Mobil station on a gas card.
I only bought gas with it when I ran short some times. I maybe put $20-30 a month on it.
I suddenly got a bill for $110 and all the charges was beer/wine and cigarettes. I called the CC company and cried FRAUD; I don't even drink or smoke.
Didn't have to pay it because I had the account for years with the exact same spending habits on it until I got ripped off.

I'm getting there. I've gone months without using an ATM, but somthing always comes up where I need to grab some cash (school activities for my kids) and I'm not in the habit of keeping a bunch of it at home. I should keep a few hundred for spending money in a lock box or something, like I do for my emergency funds. I just won't tell my wife about it. :D

The ones I use are outfitted with the quickly remove feature. The card never goes fully inside the slot.

If you aren't using cash and instead using card everywhere you go, doesn't that just increase the risk of getting your card skimmed at some random service station/restaurant/shop seeing as how you're using it more frequently?

If you aren't using cash and instead using card everywhere you go, doesn't that just increase the risk of getting your card skimmed at some random service station/restaurant/shop seeing as how you're using it more frequently?

Exactly why I pay in barter. 1 car = 25 goats and a bushel of wheat.

I use ATMs all the time, but the japanese are honorable so this sort of business never happens to me

This is why we should give up on a stupid electronic system of money transfer and move into the future with coin and paper based currency that requires in person exchanges. A system like that would be totally mega awesome for bringing people together and IMPOSSIBLE to spoof or trick.

Usually carry 20-30 bux cash, which may sit in my wallet for weeks before I spend it, but not as high as $100 or anything.
If I go to a store like a home center; it is handing over my CC in front of register and looking the person in the eye. But the idea of using a "quick cash" ATM at a service station is ridiculous in my opinion.

I don't pay for anything in cash really anymore... Train tickets are paid by card, food is paid by card, purchases are online or via card. The only time I ever use an ATM is when I want to check the balance and don't have other ways availible... There really isn't much use for cash anymore. Though thats only true when i'm here, in other countries in the world, people still prefer cash for everything (e.g. Japan or countries where your cards don't work... :D).

Back