FX 8320 / 8350 owners ?

buttons

2[H]4U
Anyone here have the new chips? im just curious what voltage it takes for you folks to achive your best clock speeds and what motherboards your using to do so.

I am able to bench mine at 1.62v at 4.9ghz, 1.65v wont run 5ghz at all. for 24x7 use im just running 4.2ghz 1.42v. I am less then impressed with this MSI board's bios and control center for overclocking. However I am extremely pleased with overall performance of the system.

What about abient temps, cpu temps, etc? Do you run your cooler in single or dual fan configuration?

honestly if I were to get a new amd chip it would be for virtualisation, AMD to me means cheap and lots of cores...

waiting for steamroller...supposed to be a bigger jump in performance than PD. Hopefully AMD will still be around then...(fingers crossed)

I own one but granted my board is a crap board without LLC, I can get to 4.4GHZ with 1.44 Volts

waiting for steamroller

AMD really need to get off this "silly" naming scheme. It's been too many years since they announced they'd pile-drive/steamroll with their upcoming CPU. It's really time for them to get back to concentrating on giving us a processor to match or surpass Intel. There was a time when their processors were much lower cost and so you expected lower performance compared to Intel. That's not so much the case anymore. It's time to step it up a notch.

I cant tell what my temps are, MSI control center seems the most accurate with idle temps around 36 and load never goes over 50. I have my fans in a push / pull at 100% for benchmarks. 50% for normal use.

My board doesnt have LLC either, but voltage drop is only .015 from idle to load. Using a killowatt at 4.2ghz with 1.42v im around 211 watts running cinebench. at 4.9ghz i was at 430watts !

For what its worth, this is the first system ive ever had that plays world of warcraft WOTLK smooth in dalaran. All my other systems would chug with all the players running around in that city.

I can not comment on temps, my setup is running linux with the 3.5 kernel, and the k10temp team has not updated their driver to include Vishera temps.

As far as wattage I am pulling around 250 watts at full load according to my ups.

For what its worth, this is the first system ive ever had that plays world of warcraft WOTLK smooth in dalaran. All my other systems would chug with all the players running around in that city.
Can you monitor cores' usage to see how loaded they get? Thx.

Anyone here have the new chips? im just curious what voltage it takes for you folks to achive your best clock speeds and what motherboards your using to do so.

I am able to bench mine at 1.62v at 4.9ghz, 1.65v wont run 5ghz at all. for 24x7 use im just running 4.2ghz 1.42v. I am less then impressed with this MSI board's bios and control center for overclocking. However I am extremely pleased with overall performance of the system.

1.62v seems pretty high to me. Is that safe and how much power does it draw idle/load?

I'm seriously considering taking the jump to Vishera...my Phenom II 965 has served me well these last few years. For $200.00 its a pretty good deal and I'm don't think I have the patience to wait for Steamroller in 2014 and no one really knows how good Steamroller will be. The way I look at it, I'm doing my part in helping AMD. Win/win.

Okay, just made the jump to the FX-8350 from a Phenom II 965 (which is now sitting in my old mATX board) despite earlier posts where I said I was gonna wait for Steamroller. So far so good. I ran Prime 95 and my temps max out 40-41 degrees Celsius and my NB maxing out at 54 degrees Celsius. Should I overclock on air (using a Frio)? I'd like to keep my voltage as low as possible.

Awesome! Thanks man. I'm gonna see how she does on air. I do plan on putting her under water sometime next year.

Much appreciated

It is just me or the FX-8350 a lot more harder to OC? I've been playing around voltage and multiplier and I can't get past 4500 MHz (22.5*200) @ 1.4625 Volts. Prime 95 for an hour so far and my max temps are around 46-47 degrees so I have some room in terms on temps. I looked at that forum (thanks Blacklash) but none of those settings work for me. Is it cause of my UD3 Mobo? I have latest bios. I haven't touched the FSB just cause it screws with RAM and I get BSOD. Do I have to adjust the HTT and NB? Is it Prime 95 not working with Vishera? Everything seems stable but then some cores stop running the tests. Any advice is most welcome.

Last edited:
Overclocking is not a process with any guarantees, some chips will reach 5 GHz others will stop at 4.4 GHz.

Techreport used the same cooler as you do and they ended up close to the same point as you.

You do not have to touch memory/HTT/NB settings as long as you leave the bus at the stock 200.

Have you used LLC?

It is just me or the FX-8350 a lot more harder to OC? I've been playing around voltage and multiplier and I can't get past 4500 MHz (22.5*200) @ 1.4625 Volts. Prime 95 for an hour so far and my max temps are around 46-47 degrees so I have some room in terms on temps. I looked at that forum (thanks Blacklash) but none of those settings work for me. Is it cause of my UD3 Mobo? I have latest bios. I haven't touched the FSB just cause it screws with RAM and I get BSOD. Do I have to adjust the HTT and NB? Is it Prime 95 not working with Vishera? Everything seems stable but then some cores stop running the tests. Any advice is most welcome.

If you look at the voltage on the overclockers website, many people had to go near 1.5 and over.

Anyone have an FX-8350/8320 OC running stable on Prime 95? I'm able to run cinebench @ 4700 MHz easy and other bench marks. Its only Prime 95 that will stop working. I read on some forums that it may be issue with Prime95 but I'm curious if FX/Vishera owners have been able to run Prime 95 stable.

Okay, I thought I would provide an update here regarding my FX-8350 OC. This thing has been a lot more trickier than I expected. OC the Phenom II was a lot easier.

First thing was to get my RAM running at the 1600 MHz it was made to run at. This took me at least 20 tries. I upped the voltage to 1.655 to get it running stable. Next was the CPU. I upped the voltage to 1.5375 (1.3875+0.150) with Turbo disabled. So far, I passed IBT (10 runs), Cinebench, and currently running Prime 95 stable after an hour running at 4700 MHz (23.5*200) by far my longest run thus far.

According to CPUID Hardware Monitor my NB max temp (so far) is 67 degrees which is well within the 65-75 degree threshold for load temps (according to my email exchange with Gigabyte) and my CPU temps max out at 55 degrees with room at 24 degrees.

I think I found the sweet spot for this CPU. If so, I'm happy with what I've achieved. Thermaltake Frio has exceeded my expectations once again! I plan on getting the Corsair H100i somewhere down the road and upgrading GPUs sometime next year. Depending on how good Steamroller is, this is probably it for this rig.

4.7GHz is not bad. Congrats on that :)

You mention that it has been tricky to OC the CPU, but that is part of the fun with AMD processors.
However I had not expected that your memory required a small voltage bump.

Yeah, I'm by no mean a pro at OC'ing. Getting the voltage right on my RAM/CPU was a pain. Also, I was playing with FSB which was screwing with my RAM. After hours of BSOD'ing I finally gave up on that and just used the multiplier. The rig seems stable but I won't know until I stress it for longer periods this weekend. I did notice a noise coming from the case when my CPU is on 100% load. Not sure if its coil whine or a bad barring on my fans.

Proved to be unstable at 4700 MHz without increasing voltage. Prefer to keep it below 1.55 volts on air. Prime ran stable for several hours so I'm going to stick with 4600 MHz. Proved to be a nice upgrade. Cinebench scored 7.33, 3DMark11 increased my score of around P8000 to P9397, F1 2012 now runs a lot smoother never dropping below 60 FPS, and the rig just feels faster and more responsive. Computer boots faster too and idles around 12 degrees Celsius and maxes out around 55 on Prime 95.

Highly recommend for anyone on an AM3+ board looking for a relatively cheap upgrade. The Computer store I go to sold eight FX-8350s on the first day. Not bad.

i've been debating going to the the piledriver cpu.

running just the regular 8120 right now@ 4.9ghz. I have held off so far. I will likely grab the Piledriver revision, that is rumored now. Since Steam Roller will not be out until 2014. May just end up waiting for Steam Roller like the original plan.

Actually just working on Full Custom water loop atm, instead. Total of 520mm of radiator space. (240, and a 280). With the upgraded cooling I could be able to run 5.2ghz 24/7. I can open a window and run 5.2ghz now when its cold outside. Need to run 1.55 volts though.

To the orginal poster, your voltage is entirely to high for your overclocks, either your chip just sucks, or well you doing something way wrong.

Thanks man. I'm pleasantly surprised with this chip. Good upgrade from my Phenom II 965. I know [H] is kind of anti-AMD but I was wondering if anyone else had luck with OC their Vishera chips. If so, please do share your experience, bios settings, temps and benchmark results. I know there's a huge thread at overclockers but because its so big I'd rather ask here.

Thanks man. I'm pleasantly surprised with this chip. Good upgrade from my Phenom II 965. I know [H] is kind of anti-AMD but I was wondering if anyone else had luck with OC their Vishera chips. If so, please do share your experience, bios settings, temps and benchmark results. I know there's a huge thread at overclockers but because its so big I'd rather ask here.

I dont think its anti-AMD, it probably has to do with Intel's cpu kicks the crap out of AMD's.

I still like AMD and own 6, but it cant touch my 2500K! :D
AMD still has its place.

[H] isn't anti-AMD, [H] is an enthusiast site, and while each person will have a different definition of enthusiast, I'd wager the vast majority here could give two shits about "best bang per buck", they just want "best bang". The fact is a FX-8350 can't beat an i7-3770k at anything, now you say "but it's a 50% more expensive chip, to which I say "I don't care, I want the fastest one". This is further compounded by the fact that there's not really any strong evidence that the 8350 consistently overclocks to any higher (or at least much higher) than the 3770k, and compounded again by the fact that the 3770k starts out with a 500MHz handicap. So we have a case where chip A is slower and can get a 20% overclock and chip I is faster and can get a 30%+ overclock, so you tell me, which chip will be fastest overclocked?

Another problem is that the cost of the CPU isn't the whole cost of the computer, and most enthusiasts here don't have cheapo computers. If you're building a $2000 system, that extra $100 ends up not being 50% more expensive but only 5% more expensive, and is an overclocked 3770k more than 5% faster than a 8350? You bet your ass it is. More complications for the red team would be the fact that the 8350 uses like twice the power of the 3770k so you need a better cooling system to get rid of all that extra heat, which means the 3770k user can either save money on the cooling system, further negating the supposed price advantage, or they can use the same system and possibly get more performance out of their already faster chip.

Finally some enthusiasts are tired of their computer rooms being saunas in the summer time, and to these guys "bang per watt" is what matters, and in this corner AMD loses so bad it's not even funny. Being over a full process behind, judging by the power difference between intel 32nm and AMD 32nm chips I think it's fair to say their design isn't all that optimized either, and they're using a MB layout designed back in 2009 all leads to a system that consumes significantly more power (and thus heats your room more, some people seem to be confused on this fact) both at idle and particularly load, and even more particularly when overclocked where the 8350 picks up an extra 100W to the 3770k's 50W. So if you care about your power bill or just want a cooler room in the summer, the 8350 is a complete and absolute failure.

So the FX doesn't overclock as well, only wins in bang/buck if you only look at CPU cost and ignore the rest of the system, can't come close to most bang regardless of cost*, and requires better cooling of not only the chip but also the room the system is in. [H] isn't anti-AMD, it's anti-AMD fanboy that ignores the facts of the situation. If you want to support the underdog or you're not building an awesome multi thousand dollar system and $100 bucks really will break the bank for you, then maybe the 8350 is a valid choice for you, but it's not a great chip by any stretch of the imagination. To be honest the only situation I could see myself telling someone "you may want to check out the AMD option" would be one where money really was super tight, they needed a discrete GPU, and would be doing predominantly massively parallel tasks, and refused to overclock at all. Even then AMD isn't a clear winner just something to possibly consider.

*I'm being nice and not considering the SB-E chips which for the "most absolute bang" crowd since the 6 core SB-E's absolutely shit all over any AMD offering. Yeah the 3960X is like 400% more expensive than the 8350 but when added to a $2000 system it's only 40% more overall, and is more than 50% faster, so if you REALLY need bang/buck and esp bang/W you're way better off with a 3960X.

Edit: Ok there was a time when many around here were actually anti-AMD, but that had more to do with the huge BD delays and the fact their marketing VP came here and lied to everybody saying the early leaked and very unflattering benchmarks came out claiming that they weren't representative of final silcon when in truth they were pretty much identical when BD finally did release. Much of the community didn't take kindly to being lied to, but I think most are over that now since those responsible no longer work for AMD.

Last edited:
@-Dragon-

So by your logic, we should only care about the best CPUs and nothings else? In that case, how come no one talks about IBM CPUs? They put Intel chips to shame. You said [H] is about best bang so why are you talking about Intel? You should be talking IBM. And why are you comparing the FX-8350 to i7-3770k? Its oranges and apples. You just proved my point. I think I should just forget [H] and spend my time at OC.net. Kinda tired of reading the same kind of posts like -Dragon- and having the same debate. Yes, Intel is faster...so what? Does that mean that's all we should talk about? IBM beats Intel so I guess by your logic, Intel sucks too and we should only discuss IBM CPUs?

P.S. I do plan on building an Intel rig in the near future but I won't be discussing it here...

So long [H] Hello OC.net...

Last edited:

Are you kidding me? So I'm not an enthusiast because I don't have a $1000 processor? Horse shit. I considered myself an enthusiast when I was spending hours on end trying to overclock the nads off my $70 Athlon II X3 and $90 4850 and I consider myself an enthusiast now with my FX-8150. Yeah I wont win any e-peen competitions with the Intel nuthuggers but I'm sure enjoying working with it. And even tho its a lowly FX it shreds thru everything I do with it from gaming to photo editing to ripping and burning music and I'm not going to throw $450+ down the shitter just to get an Intel chip and motherboard just so I can be considered an "enthusiast" by the Intel fanboys. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Let me unsnip some of that for you

[H] isn't anti-AMD, [H] is an enthusiast site, and while each person will have a different definition of enthusiast, I'd wager the vast majority here could give two shits about "best bang per buck", they just want "best bang".

Obviously you fall in that "different definition of enthusast" I mentioned in the first sentance, I'd wager you're not in the majority here.

Are you kidding me? So I'm not an enthusiast because I don't have a $1000 processor? Horse shit. I considered myself an enthusiast when I was spending hours on end trying to overclock the nads off my $70 Athlon II X3 and $90 4850 and I consider myself an enthusiast now with my FX-8150. Yeah I wont win any e-peen competitions with the Intel nuthuggers but I'm sure enjoying working with it. And even tho its a lowly FX it shreds thru everything I do with it from gaming to photo editing to ripping and burning music and I'm not going to throw $450+ down the shutter just to get an Intel chip and motherboard just so I can be considered an "enthusiast" by the Intel fanboys. :rolleyes:

2500K/3570K can beat the AMD 8 core in most multithreaded apps and could be why people have gone Intel.
Its not about Epeen, its about cost/performance and sometimes just want AMD or just want the best.
The sale microcenter had for $99 for the 2500k was just insane. I wish they would do that with the 8350!
AMD/Intel is all good, long as it does what you need.
For me, I just wanted to see how fast the Intels were and was impressed at the speed, but not impressed with the way I used the cpu. I went from a OC 1045t to the 2500K OC and saw no difference for me. :( I never did any benchmarking so..........

2500K/3570K can beat the AMD 8 core in most multithreaded apps and could be why people have gone Intel.

Really? I've seen the exact opposite. Intel holds a large single thread advantage. But when comparing price points the 8350 is the same price as the 3570k. The pile driver cpu manages to out bench it in most tests that are fully threaded. The Intel chip still mops the floor with it in single thread and power consumption though.

Further speaking the FX platform does hold some advantages of the Intel platform. Pci-Express lanes, native usb 3.0, supports ECC ram, and iommu. Not to mention its high end boards are a good bit cheaper than the Intel boards.

I am not going to argue about benchmarks in gaming, but as a work station the Fx-8350 is hard to beat. You can get a higher powered Intel cpu, but it is going to cost you. Overall depending on the workload you do some markets had a nice advantage for the 8350, namely in the virtualization/ server field.

Yeah I totally agree Intel is better and I'll almost certainly be switching over when Haswell comes out. It just drives me batshit crazy when you can't even discuss anything AMD without somebody coming in like you won't even be able to boot into Windows with one. I go into an AMD thread to talk about overclocking and have to sift thru all the "don't bother, go Intel" posts. Its so bad on OCN that most of the AMD threads get locked from the Intel trolls coming in and shitting up the place.

Yeah I totally agree Intel is better and I'll almost certainly be switching over when Haswell comes out. It just drives me batshit crazy when you can't even discuss anything AMD without somebody coming in like you won't even be able to boot into Windows with one. I go into an AMD thread to talk about overclocking and have to sift thru all the "don't bother, go Intel" posts. Its so bad on OCN that most of the AMD threads get locked from the Intel trolls coming in and shitting up the place.

I agree, MacLeod.

To everyone else not discussing about the processor in the OP post:

This is an AMD thread and forum. This is not a place for Intel enthusiasts to come in bashing other users discussing about AMD processors!

This is not a forum to try to insult or bash AMD users for making a "mistake" on their choice of processors.

It's THEIR CHOICE NOT YOURS. Keep that in mind! Stay on topic!

I agree, MacLeod.

To everyone else not discussing about the processor in the OP post:

This is an AMD thread and forum. This is not a place for Intel enthusiasts to come in bashing other users discussing about AMD processors!

This is not a forum to try to insult or bash AMD users for making a "mistake" on their choice of processors.

It's THEIR CHOICE NOT YOURS. Keep that in mind! Stay on topic!

Exactly. Its about choice and what you want. Its good to own both, to have fun on both sides!

Back