Apple Officially Killing Messages Beta for Lion Users

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
There shouldn’t be that many users still hanging on the Messages Beta for OSX Lion, but Apple has given those chosen few a hard and fast end date to upgrade.

The Messages Beta program for Lion will end on Friday, December 14, 2012. We hope you’ve enjoyed the opportunity to preview Messages.

The obnoxious thing here is that there won't be a way for Lion users to keep Messages.

In the past when they've released a beta of a feature to be included in the next OS (iChat AV, Safari, FaceTime,) they've then at least made it available as a release product (sometimes paid,) for the older OS. This will mark the first time such a feature hasn't been available for the older OS upon release. Which is annoying, because there's obviously no technical reason not to, and there are many Lion-compatible computers that aren't Mountain Lion compatible. (For example, my wife's MacBook Pro.)

And, no, I'm not about to upgrade to a whole new computer for this one feature. (And my wife is just fine on Lion otherwise.)

Back