Parents Not Responsible For Kid’s Music Piracy

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wow, this is a switch. Normally parents are responsible for everything their precious snowflakes and/or demon spawn do. ;)

A ruling handed down yesterday by Germany’s highest court represents a blow to rightsholders in their quest to clamp down on illicit file-sharing. The court ruled that the parents of a teenager who had made available more than 1,100 songs on file-sharing networks can not be held responsible for their son’s infringements, nor be required to monitor or hinder his online activities.

remeber this is in Germany
A ruling handed down yesterday by Germany’s highest court represents a blow to rightsholders in their quest to clamp down on illicit file-sharing. The court ruled that the parents of a teenager who had made available more than 1,100 songs on file-sharing networks can not be held responsible for their son’s infringements, nor be required to monitor or hinder his online activities.

in americia they want to make the parents responsible for anything their kids doo, is so wak!

Do I count? I'm a kid at heart plus my family is of Hungarian decent which is close enough right?:D

That's it!

Time for me to have a kid!

Your honor, I'm an innocent man I tell you. My jobless 5 year old son who currently has no assests to his name downloaded all of those Beatles songs. Kids these days :D
I plead you to go lenient on him, a few hours of community service would make him think twice about committing copyright fraud in the future.

Do I count? I'm a kid at heart plus my family is of Hungarian decent which is close enough right?:D

Hungarians are completely awesome people! :)

Anyhow, this law stuff in Germany is obviously getting decided on by people who have kids and are non-technical. Their worldview is waaaay limited by the fact that they have children and don't want to make themselves responsible by ruling against the parents. Seriously, people should stay single and not have kids. Adopt a kitty instead! :)

Your honor, I'm an innocent man I tell you. My jobless 5 year old son who currently has no assests to his name downloaded all of those Beatles songs. Kids these days :D
I plead you to go lenient on him, a few hours of community service would make him think twice about committing copyright fraud in the future.

That's right! Charge my legal loopho......errr.....child with the book! I'll go make another. :D

Exactly! Do adopted children count? Or pets? :D

I hope so. Fish are too easy to care for. :p

great -- so nobody is responsible.

Does this mean kids can go around smashing up cars and robbing little old ladies and the parent can just shrug their shoulders and say "meh" not my problem?

I realize the article references Germany -- but I think it's pretty much crap across the globe of deflecting all blame or absolving all responsibility just because someone is a kid. "Kids" can do all the same things as adults - robbery/rape/murder are not just crimes adults can carry out.

If someone is old enough to do the crime, they are old enough to pay for it. Just because you have crappy parents that fail to raise you with respect or understanding of the law doesn't mean you get a free pass to do whatever you want.

I realize the article references Germany -- but I think it's pretty much crap across the globe of deflecting all blame or absolving all responsibility just because someone is a kid. "Kids" can do all the same things as adults - robbery/rape/murder are not just crimes adults can carry out.

If someone is old enough to do the crime, they are old enough to pay for it. Just because you have crappy parents that fail to raise you with respect or understanding of the law doesn't mean you get a free pass to do whatever you want.

There is a difference between kids committing a crime and adults though, because kids are a lot more likely to be able to reform/change their ways as they mature into adulthood. A lot of people do stupid stuff as kids that they would never do as an adult, so I don't necessarily think their whole life should be ruined because of it.

In cases of rape/murder I tend to agree with you, but there's a HUUUUGE difference between rape/murder and copyright infringement...

There is a difference between kids committing a crime and adults though, because kids are a lot more likely to be able to reform/change their ways as they mature into adulthood. A lot of people do stupid stuff as kids that they would never do as an adult, so I don't necessarily think their whole life should be ruined because of it.

In cases of rape/murder I tend to agree with you, but there's a HUUUUGE difference between rape/murder and copyright infringement...

Copyright infringement is a gateway crime. Next thing you know he'll be downloading cars and hacking databases.

Copyright infringement is a gateway crime. Next thing you know he'll be downloading cars and hacking databases.

And install the illegal Lunix operating system. Once they do that, it's too late, they're now a hacker and they'll be using hacking tools like ping and traceroute, and god forbid, ssh. :eek:

Back